The Student Room Group

Are bluetooth headphones worth it?

So I use my headphones for around 6 hours a day and I use corded headphones. I usually buy around 3 pairs of headphones every year as they all get faulty after some time.The reason I have not bought bluetooth headphones is because I don't want to go through the hassle of charging them everyday and not being able to use them when they do not have any charge.
should I go for them considering I use headphones for so much time?
If you don't get an expensive BT headphones, you're gonna struggle with the connection problems that cheaper headphones can have.

Also you need to make sure that your phone is a good one. The latest phones have really good Bluetooth capabilities so are likely to connect to all headphones.

I just bought wired Sony headphones. Expensive but buy once and they will last a long time.
Reply 2
Original post by Stickman
If you don't get an expensive BT headphones, you're gonna struggle with the connection problems that cheaper headphones can have.

Also you need to make sure that your phone is a good one. The latest phones have really good Bluetooth capabilities so are likely to connect to all headphones.

I just bought wired Sony headphones. Expensive but buy once and they will last a long time.

I use the m with my Laptop, sorry left that part out
Original post by muf_mur
So I use my headphones for around 6 hours a day and I use corded headphones. I usually buy around 3 pairs of headphones every year as they all get faulty after some time.The reason I have not bought bluetooth headphones is because I don't want to go through the hassle of charging them everyday and not being able to use them when they do not have any charge.
should I go for them considering I use headphones for so much time?

If you aren't already doing so, align your phone/iPod etc so that the headphone jack points directly out of your pocket, and whenever you aren't using your headphones unplug them from the device. 90% of headphones spontaneously dying or cutting out that I come across among my friends and on TSR sound like classic examples of people putting too much stress on the audio jack and damaging the wiring that resides there.

But yeah, whether or not Bluetooth headphones are gift for you depends on your priorities. Sound quality in any given pair of wireless headphones is going to be inferior to equivalent wired models, with no exceptions- Bluetooth is not a particularly optimal way of carrying sound over, especially in cheaper models. And as you've mentioned there's concerns about battery life, not so much for most people but if you're using them for 6+ hours a day consistently, odds are you're eventually going to run into a situation where you forget to charge them or use them more than usual and end up with a dead pair in the middle of a listening session. If you're such an avid listener then I would say get a quality set of wired headphones- You'll enjoy them more, won't have to deal with the inconvenience of constant charging, and if you don't abuse them can last a lifetime. However if you're sure you look after your previous headphones properly and can live with the compromises, a Bluetooth pair can be worth considering.

What's your budget, and do you want in, on, or over- ear headphones? Are they for home use or portable use?
Reply 4
My budget is less than £50 and I want over ear headphones for home use
Original post by muf_mur
My budget is less than £50 and I want over ear headphones for home use

I've personally never heard a pair of Bluetooth headphones costing this little with sound quality good enough that I can recommend. I have no idea how you're managing to get through 3 pairs of headphones per year if they're not being used portably or mishandled, but I would stick to wired pairs if your budget is this low if enjoyment is the primary factor. I would choose the Philips Citiscape Uptown or Creative Aurvana Live for around £50, heck I'd even take the £17 Monoprice DJ Headphones over any of the wireless pairs I've heard in the price range.

If you do decide to go down the Bluetooth route, these headphones from Meelectronics were well received by a few prominent audiophile sites as a cheap wireless pair. Otherwise I'd stick to Philips or Sony, their low end stuff is the best at the moment in my opinion.
Reply 6
Thanks I think i'll stick to wired headphones

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending