The Student Room Group

Are these good grades for end of year 9??

There are probably lots of questions like this on here, so sorry for asking this again... These are my grades that I achieved in subjects I am taking for GCSE...
Science: 8c
English: 7a/ 8c
Maths: 8a+
German: 8c/ A or B GCSE
History: 8b
Geography: 8a+
R.E.: 8b/ A GCSE

Also, I was wondering what grades I would be predicted for my actual GCSEs and whether if I achieve my predicted grades it is worth applying for Oxbridge (I am from a state school and apparently Cambridge like that)? Thank you to whoever answers!!
Original post by ebhf21nn
There are probably lots of questions like this on here, so sorry for asking this again... These are my grades that I achieved in subjects I am taking for GCSE...
Science: 8c
English: 7a/ 8c
Maths: 8a+
German: 8c/ A or B GCSE
History: 8b
Geography: 8a+
R.E.: 8b/ A GCSE

Also, I was wondering what grades I would be predicted for my actual GCSEs and whether if I achieve my predicted grades it is worth applying for Oxbridge (I am from a state school and apparently Cambridge like that)? Thank you to whoever answers!!

I really wouldn't worry about applying for Oxbridge now. Your year 9 grades are fantastic, but you should think about Oxbridge after you've got your final GCSE results in two years (exams can go far better or far worse than expected). It's good to have ambitions, and if planning to go to Oxbridge motivates you then great, but you won't be applying for over three years and a lot can change.

Regarding state schools - as far as I know, Cambridge doesn't 'like' them as such, but both Oxford and Cambridge make a big effort to give offers to those from state schools. They also consider the context for your grades; if you got 6 A*s at GCSE and you were among the best of your year, then Oxbridge would view this as great, while 6 A*s from an Eton student (where this might be average) would be viewed as less impressive.
You apply for Uni in 3 years, that's when you need to have decided where you're applying to by. The GCSE grades you get will be determined by how much effort you put in over the next two years; pre-GCSE is nothing like GCSE in terms of the amount of content, the specific nature of the required knowledge and the revision you'll do, so your KS3 levels aren't too useful in predicting GCSEs. Some people on level 6's go on to get mostly A*s, some people on level 8's go on to get mostly B's. If you have a good factual memory and put in effort, you should get good GCSEs. Your GCSE teachers will predict your GCSE grades far better than I can.

The GSCE grades you read in 2 years and 2 weeks will be the first step in determining where you want to apply. If you get high scores (Mostly As and A*s, more A*s the better) then Oxbridge becomes more feasible.

If you go on to get high UMS A's at AS (if they still do AS when you're at that stage?), or whatever the equivalent of strong exam performance is at the end of Year 12, and you are interested in a subject to study for a further 3 years, then you should apply for Oxbridge if you want to.

So - for the meanwhile, work hard for your GCSEs, don't bother thinking about Uni as there is little constructive work you can do now other than work hard, and think about what subject you'd take at Uni. And please enjoy being young while you still are, don't get too bogged down in thinking about Uni or careers... I've had 1 day off this Summer (just finished A-Levels), as I've spent all the other days working for necessary cash to support myself next year at Uni and I miss having loads of free time!
Reply 3
Thanks for the detailed replies!! Yeah, I get that Uni is quite a long way off but I am quite determined to work and even if i don't get into Oxbridge, then hopefully I could go to another good university in the UK by working hard in the upcoming years... I just like to have a plan in my head but i should probably just enjoy the summer tbh!! :smile:
End of year 9 grades are irrelevant.
Why would you ask if they are good grades? You know they are you cocky little ****
Reply 6
Original post by Matildascarlett
Why would you ask if they are good grades? You know they are you cocky little ****

Thank you
But I beat you
Reply 8
Looking at these grades, you'll probably have mostly A*s for targets if you were consistently getting those grades, especially in the non-essay subjects.
By the way, great job on these grades, they're really good!
My advice would be don't feel too superior and like a hero. You will obviously need to revise really thoroughly regardless of your intelligence for the A*s. Watch your confidence, always ensure that you've done enough and more revision than you need. Be critical of your work.

Good luck for your GCSEs. Enjoy this Summer and Year 10. Year 10 is quite fun really, worrying at first but after a few weeks, really fun! :smile:
I hate kids who come on TSR fishing for compliments...

Quick Reply

Latest