The Student Room Group

Year 12's entering year 13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mogwai98
Suppose it's just a case of waiting for results then. I do think it can be hard to make a decision regarding uni when you don't know how you did in AS. I want to do psychology, I've known for about 3 years - only thing to think about is which unis to apply to, depending on grades.

Best of luck on results day, and hopefully next year you'll get into your firm choice uni😊
Original post by I hate oysters
Best of luck on results day, and hopefully next year you'll get into your firm choice uni😊

Likewise :smile:
Reply 222
Original post by mollyxrose
Aaah that's tough. I'm not sure really, unless you're applying to Oxbridge no universities ask for 4 A levels and often the 4th grade will just be ignored. So I'd say your main priority is meeting their requirements because a 4th grade won't compensate not meeting the offer. For example, if the entry requirements are ABB and you achieve ABCC you'd be unlikely to receive an offer. It might be something you'll want to look into further though because idk much about applications to courses other than Medicine :tongue:
I'm studying maths, biology, chemistry and English lit. Think I'm going to drop maths. I always thought I'd drop English lit but I actually enjoy it a bit more than maths :smile:

So I'm planning on taking English Literature this year because our school allows us to do both the AS and A level in one year. What is the workload for AS like? I'm planning on studying English and Management at uni.
do you know where i can find the further additional part of the education part of the form? cant find it? Do i have to write my resits aswell?

i done triple sci aqa...do we have to include resits?

Original post by jojo10834
Personal Information
Education GCSE Grades, A-Level Grades, BTECs etc
University Choices
Original post by High Stakes
Have you started writing your personal statements?! Have you even chosen what course you guys wanna pursue?!

I've been mulling it over for a while now.

Now that you mention it that might be a good idea...may as well do something productive this summer hahaha. I could get most of it out of the way before school starts....thanks lol
Original post by kinji
So I'm planning on taking English Literature this year because our school allows us to do both the AS and A level in one year. What is the workload for AS like? I'm planning on studying English and Management at uni.

What exam board is English Literature at your sixth form?
I'm thinking of computing, but I don't know where to apply. I mean I've got one place, but I need another four don't I?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 227
Original post by jojo10834
What exam board is English Literature at your sixth form?

CIE
Original post by kinji
I'm applying for English and Management and have started my personal statement, except it's awfully hard. :s-smilie:
Have you guys started studying for Year 13?

Where are you doing that? Is that at uni?
Original post by Andy98
I'm thinking of computing, but I don't know where to apply. I mean I've got one place, but I need another four don't I?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, UCL,Imperial,Cambridge all have good CompSci departments
Reply 230
Ive decided that I want to study chemical engineering preferably at Imperial. I've basically finished the first draft of my personal statement but I just need to tweak it a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Patrick2810
Yes, UCL,Imperial,Cambridge all have good CompSci departments

Yeah I'm not gonna get into Cambridge but I can put it on the list.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kinji

Sorry for the slow reply! To be honest I found it perfectly manageable - really not that much work. Coursework is always a bit hectic so make sure you get it done in good time and you should be alright. Not sure how much extra reading you'll be able to do if doing AS and A2 in one year though so definitely think about that before making your decision. You could probably get away with no extra reading at AS level but I think you'd struggle to get the best grade in A2 without it. Your call though :smile:
Reply 233
Original post by K.stober
Where are you doing that? Is that at uni?

Yes, at uni. It's only offered by St.Andrews and Loughborough which puts me in a bit of a fix.
Reply 234
Original post by mollyxrose
Sorry for the slow reply! To be honest I found it perfectly manageable - really not that much work. Coursework is always a bit hectic so make sure you get it done in good time and you should be alright. Not sure how much extra reading you'll be able to do if doing AS and A2 in one year though so definitely think about that before making your decision. You could probably get away with no extra reading at AS level but I think you'd struggle to get the best grade in A2 without it. Your call though :smile:

Aww don't worry about it! Thank you so much for this-let's hope it's manageable. I don't mind extra reading so that's fine. :smile:
Good luck with everything!
Original post by kinji
Aww don't worry about it! Thank you so much for this-let's hope it's manageable. I don't mind extra reading so that's fine. :smile:
Good luck with everything!

No problem! If you enjoy English lit it really won't feel like much work at all. Thank you, you too :smile:
I have started my first draft for my PS. I know I want to do law it is just the case if I will be able to get decent grades in my 4 alevels.
12days 😭😭🙈
Horrible feeling know that - with absolute certainty - I will have to resit 3 exams next year, and that this could have a very big impact on where, even if, I apply to university next year.
Original post by Jess_x
I have the opening sentence of my PS...which is rubbish. The problem is that I'm applying for English so I feel like I need to read all the books I'm considering mentioning in my PS beforehand and then pick out links to make between them and think of some clever stuff to write about them :colonhash:

Exactly! I'm going to apply for English literature and philosophy but only have an opening paragraph of my PS as a draft because I have a pile of books I want/need to read before carrying on so I can mention one in more detail :frown:( and I've been quite busy this summer I'm afraid I'll run out of time lmao but hopefully not. I also have to look into my EPQ I'll be starting but I think I know what I'll do at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 239
My college tutor must just be a special kind then - I finished my personal statement in June😳

Quick Reply

Latest