The Student Room Group

2nd year undergrad mark - bearing on Oxbridge MPhil/Mst/further research?

Hello,

I've finished my third year of a four year course (I study languages at Cambridge), and I'm considering further study after I graduate in 2016, namely a Masters in Medieval Literature. I would ideally like to apply to Oxford and Cambridge; but I am concerned about my second year module marks.

I got a First in French in first year, and a high 2.1 in Spanish. In second year, however, I got a 2.1 overall (64). I was hospitalized for over a week with suspected meningitis, I spent a further two nights in hospital in exam term, and I also suffered from depression. I'm sitting at a 2.1 (hopefully a First now that I have access to materials!) for my Year Abroad dissertation, and I know I'm capable of a First in my Finals. For my literature papers in second year, I scored a 71, 70 and a 68 - it was my language papers that brought me down :frown:

My question is: would it be feasible to apply for a Masters at Oxford or Cambridge? Do you reckon they would discount my application on account of a poorer second year, or is it mainly final year that counts? I do appreciate that you're not admissions tutors, nor are you mind readers!
Original post by camaieu

You are at Cambridge, your transcript is at Cambridge, they will know everything, it won't be an issue. You can ask this at Cambridge and get an answer from the staff involved.
Reply 2
Original post by camaieu
Hello,

I've finished my third year of a four year course (I study languages at Cambridge), and I'm considering further study after I graduate in 2016, namely a Masters in Medieval Literature. I would ideally like to apply to Oxford and Cambridge; but I am concerned about my second year module marks.

I got a First in French in first year, and a high 2.1 in Spanish. In second year, however, I got a 2.1 overall (64). I was hospitalized for over a week with suspected meningitis, I spent a further two nights in hospital in exam term, and I also suffered from depression. I'm sitting at a 2.1 (hopefully a First now that I have access to materials!) for my Year Abroad dissertation, and I know I'm capable of a First in my Finals. For my literature papers in second year, I scored a 71, 70 and a 68 - it was my language papers that brought me down :frown:

My question is: would it be feasible to apply for a Masters at Oxford or Cambridge? Do you reckon they would discount my application on account of a poorer second year, or is it mainly final year that counts? I do appreciate that you're not admissions tutors, nor are you mind readers!

Your final year, especially the thesis, is the most important for a research degree. Moreover, if you want to do a Master in literature, they will principally look at your scores in literature...
So don't worry.
I don't know anyone who's applied for the same masters course as you're thinking, but I know several in other courses who stayed on or went back to do masters at Cambridge and many of them were accepted with 2.1.
They usually ask for a first from the students who did undergrad at other unis but it seems they're more accommodating for their own students.
I think the best thing to do for you is to go and discuss it with your DoS. He/she'll be the most crucial referee (and probably a supporter) when you're applying for postgraduate course.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest