The Student Room Group

St. George's University of London Medicine applicants 2016 ENTRY

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BioWiz
For all of you people who are worried about having too low of a UKCAT score, don't listen to those saying you need 640+ to be safe...last year I had two friends who had UKCAT scores of 625 and 617 respectively and they both managed to get interviews at SGUL (one of them didn't have a strong set of academics too).

I'm a gap year applicant with a UKCAT score of 695 band 2
My Stats:
A2: 2A*s 1A
AS: 5As (Inc. Critical Thinking)
GCSE: 12A*s

From a scale of 1-10 how high do you think my chances of getting an interview are (10 being almost certain)? I really like St George's but I don't want to apply there if my chances aren't high as I'm eager to get into a medical school this year.

:colonhash:...
Reply 41
Original post by BioWiz
For all of you people who are worried about having too low of a UKCAT score, don't listen to those saying you need 640+ to be safe...last year I had two friends who had UKCAT scores of 625 and 617 respectively and they both managed to get interviews at SGUL (one of them didn't have a strong set of academics too).

I'm a gap year applicant with a UKCAT score of 695 band 2
My Stats:
A2: 2A*s 1A
AS: 5As (Inc. Critical Thinking)
GCSE: 12A*s

From a scale of 1-10 how high do you think my chances of getting an interview are (10 being almost certain)? I really like St George's but I don't want to apply there if my chances aren't high as I'm eager to get into a medical school this year.

Don't know what you're trying to achieve by trolling
Reply 42
Original post by setarcos
:colonhash:...

Original post by ToeHold
Don't know what you're trying to achieve by trolling

I don't understand why you think I'm trolling :s-smilie:
Can you tell me what part of my post seemed to be troll-like...?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
Hi there am planning to apply for st georges for medicine for 2016 entry. Iam currently on my gap yr as i was unsuccessfull in getting in during my A2 year. I managed to get a single offer of A*AA but the A*was in Biology or chemistry. Unfortunatly got A*AAB in maths, F maths, Biology and chemistry. Using there GCSE system i get 422 which just scrapes the 416 boundary. My UKCAT was 675. I also have relevant WE and voluntary work. Do you guys think am wasting my time?
Reply 44
Original post by Inam97
Hi there am planning to apply for st georges for medicine for 2016 entry. Iam currently on my gap yr as i was unsuccessfull in getting in during my A2 year. I managed to get a single offer of A*AA but the A*was in Biology or chemistry. Unfortunatly got A*AAB in maths, F maths, Biology and chemistry. Using there GCSE system i get 422 which just scrapes the 416 boundary. My UKCAT was 675. I also have relevant WE and voluntary work. Do you guys think am wasting my time?

The B is Chemistry is a massive blow. I'd suggest you apply to medical Universities which don't require an A in Chemistry (like Keele?). If I were you I'd research what Universities that don't require an A in A2 Chemistry, as I know there are a few which one can apply to. Your UKCAT score of 675 is a solid score for most medical Universities including St Georges.

I know St Georges look at students who are predicted/achieved an A in Chemistry, but I'm sure they might prefer students who have already done their A2 Levels and your high UKCAT score might compensate for the B you achieved. At the end of the day applying for all medical schools are risky where even if you have all the requirements, you aren't guaranteed an interview so it is really up to to you whether or not you think you should apply there. As a fellow gap year student I'd advise you apply to Universities where you have all the requirements as it would be devastating if you came out a gap year with no medical offers.
Reply 45
Original post by BioWiz
The B is Chemistry is a massive blow. I'd suggest you apply to medical Universities which don't require an A in Chemistry (like Keele?). If I were you I'd research what Universities that don't require an A in A2 Chemistry, as I know there are a few which one can apply to. Your UKCAT score of 675 is a solid score for most medical Universities including St Georges.

I know St Georges look at students who are predicted/achieved an A in Chemistry, but I'm sure they might prefer students who have already done their A2 Levels and your high UKCAT score might compensate for the B you achieved. At the end of the day applying for all medical schools are risky where even if you have all the requirements, you aren't guaranteed an interview so it is really up to to you whether or not you think you should apply there. As a fellow gap year student I'd advise you apply to Universities where you have all the requirements as it would be devastating if you came out a gap year with no medical offers.

Thanks for your feedback. With my grades I've got 2 major set backs. 1) I study further maths which a lot of med schools don't accept and 2) I have a B in chemistry. Using those circumstances I've chosen st georges , keele, Newcastle, Exeter (including a resit) . Still thinking for Plymouth. But I did phone sgul and they sed as long as you have AAAB including bio and maths. I do understand where your coming from as to wanting/preferring A in A2 chem.
is st georges pbl-based?
I need an urgent decision, I have only recently found out about international medicine in St Georges and I'm an international student but it one more year and it's not certain if I could get foundation place after graduation. Can someone please give me advice??
Reply 48
I applied for medicine and haven't got feedback from st georges saying they have viewed my application or even got my application, but all my other uni's have what do you think i should do
Reply 49
H
Original post by kichucc
I applied for medicine and haven't got feedback from st georges saying they have viewed my application or even got my application, but all my other uni's have what do you think i should do

haven't gotten feedback either
I've also applied for the 2016 entry Med at sgul. My UKCAT avg. is 630 but that came about because of a problem during the test so do you think they will take the problem into consideration or not?

I know that my score is lower than their usual cut off's but I still thought I'd have a go and see what happens!
Reply 51
Pretty hopeful for SGUL, definitely my favourite of the places I've visited! I'm applying for bio med there as well. :-)

Just to put some minds at ease, a couple of my choices haven't acknowledged my application either after nearly 3 weeks.

Happy UCAS deadline day everyone!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by panda14
Pretty hopeful for SGUL, definitely my favourite of the places I've visited! I'm applying for bio med there as well. :-)

Just to put some minds at ease, a couple of my choices haven't acknowledged my application either after nearly 3 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh thank you for that haha.. I was getting worried since I haven't heard back from sgul lol
Good luck! Can't believe it was four years ago when I applied. Best of luck to all applicants :smile:
Original post by panda14

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG same! I've applied for biomed there as well bc the open day just made me fall in love with the place
Just a quick question to everyone who applied to SG this year for medicine A100.. Has anyone heard anything? I haven't received any confirmation of my application being received and just wanted to check I wasn't the only one ?
Original post by MrSulAhmad
Just a quick question to everyone who applied to SG this year for medicine A100.. Has anyone heard anything? I haven't received any confirmation of my application being received and just wanted to check I wasn't the only one ?

Nope haven't heard anything either
Reply 57
Original post by MrSulAhmad

Original post by USMANDEM99
Nope haven't heard anything either

Me neither. Wouldn't worry about it though.
is there a way to find out how many students are applying to st georges medicine 2016 entry (A100 specifically)
Reply 59
Original post by Spike2/Levi3
is there a way to find out how many students are applying to st georges medicine 2016 entry (A100 specifically)

Don't think so. I wouldn't want to know if I'm honest - there's nothing more I can do before interview, so I don't want to worry myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending