The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Majorly stressing about results day and getting into Lancaster!!

Hi guys,

So basically, last year I completed my A2's, receiving an A* in Performing Arts, C in Geography and D in Biology, so naturally I was rejected from Lancaster as my firm choice to study Earth & Environmental Sciences. Having spoken to Lancaster through the clearing hotline, they would only let me on to the course with a B in Geography. On the same day, I worked out I was in fact only 2 UMS marks, the equivalent of 1 RAW MARK, from a B. I forked out to get both my papers remarked and finally, 3 WEEKS LATER, my overall results were A*BD. However this was too late for Lancaster as all the places were gone. Heartbroken, I've spent this year re-applying for the same course at Lancaster whilst re-sitting my Biology A Level (AS and A2 to try boost my overall grade and achieve the B that Lancaster have asked for), as well as taking on AS Environmental Studies to broaden my knowledge in the sciences I want to continue studying at Lancaster.

My worry is that I have not achieved the B I need in Biology, due to the difficulty of the papers as well as my own exam related anxiety issues. I'd love to know if anyone can tell me how flexible Lancaster could be in accepting me with A*BC onto the course, and if they reject me, would it still be possible to try go through clearing (as I actually ended up meeting their clearing requirements last year but it was just too late), and not go to my insurance choice (Chester offered me a place with a C in Biology, it's a brilliant uni but I've always seen myself at Lancaster, hence why it's been my first choice for 2 years and I've visited at every opportunity).

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by kirstaylor
Hey, not sure if you know this but Lancaster is one of the universities that have already released their clearing list for this year and your course is on there. The entry requirements are ABB so with A*BC I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting in if the B is in geography because the grades are equivalent. Also, they class geography as a science (I think) so if you have two sciences at A-level that will help you out already. I studied Environmental Science last year so I know the department pretty well and I think that they're quite lenient and look at each person individually because they don't have many people applying for earth and environmental sciences. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you so much! Its all just so frustrating to know that i should have got in last year, i should have had that B in geography from the start, which would have meant lancaster might not have rejected me straight away and would have definitely taken me through clearing. Im just hoping that even if things dont go as well for my biology grade that my B in geography will mean they wont reject me straight away again. I feel a bit more re-assured now, thank you :smile: can't wait for this torturing wait to end!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Jeffers19
Hi guys,

So basically, last year I completed my A2's, receiving an A* in Performing Arts, C in Geography and D in Biology, so naturally I was rejected from Lancaster as my firm choice to study Earth & Environmental Sciences. Having spoken to Lancaster through the clearing hotline, they would only let me on to the course with a B in Geography. On the same day, I worked out I was in fact only 2 UMS marks, the equivalent of 1 RAW MARK, from a B. I forked out to get both my papers remarked and finally, 3 WEEKS LATER, my overall results were A*BD. However this was too late for Lancaster as all the places were gone. Heartbroken, I've spent this year re-applying for the same course at Lancaster whilst re-sitting my Biology A Level (AS and A2 to try boost my overall grade and achieve the B that Lancaster have asked for), as well as taking on AS Environmental Studies to broaden my knowledge in the sciences I want to continue studying at Lancaster.

My worry is that I have not achieved the B I need in Biology, due to the difficulty of the papers as well as my own exam related anxiety issues. I'd love to know if anyone can tell me how flexible Lancaster could be in accepting me with A*BC onto the course, and if they reject me, would it still be possible to try go through clearing (as I actually ended up meeting their clearing requirements last year but it was just too late), and not go to my insurance choice (Chester offered me a place with a C in Biology, it's a brilliant uni but I've always seen myself at Lancaster, hence why it's been my first choice for 2 years and I've visited at every opportunity).

Thanks

Hi,

You may be accepted on results day you may have got the required grades in which case congratulations you're in Lancaster. You may have missed the grades but still be offered a place. Beyond that, it's a matter of ringing up and stating your case. In general the universities can see your overall grades but not necessarily individual module marks or UMS, in which case, they may allow you on to the course if thy know your individual circumstances. If that's not possible you have the option to apply to places through clearing.

Hope that helps.
Reply 3
Original post by k9markiii
Hi,

You may be accepted on results day you may have got the required grades in which case congratulations you're in Lancaster. You may have missed the grades but still be offered a place. Beyond that, it's a matter of ringing up and stating your case. In general the universities can see your overall grades but not necessarily individual module marks or UMS, in which case, they may allow you on to the course if thy know your individual circumstances. If that's not possible you have the option to apply to places through clearing.

Hope that helps.

Hi,
Thank you for replying, would i need to ring them before results day or after i get my results?
Original post by Jeffers19
Hi,
Thank you for replying, would i need to ring them before results day or after i get my results?

After you get your results. You may have got the results you need anyway. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending