The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jonsnow:(
I just finished AS Mathematics and Further Mathematics - did AQA so I'm up for being a helper (since AQA are a**holes) :biggrin:

Do you think you did well for Maths and Further Maths, and do you want me to add you to the helpers list?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Palette
I asked because I am considering taking Physics as a 5th AS Level subject, and my school's board happens to be AQA too. I thought the government is making A Levels and GCSEs harder?

I'm not really keeping track of what the government is doing to A-Levels since I have nothing to do with it next year haha. AQA is a board that is notorious for bad mark schemes and question wording. It's not hard to learn their ways, but it will certainly annoy you at times
I studied C1-C4, FP1-2, M1, D1 and S1-4 for Edexcel and I'm going into my second year at the University of Bath for Mathematical Sciences, feel free to quote me if there's anything up :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by SeanFM
I studied C1-C4, FP1-2, M1, D1 and S1-4 for Edexcel and I'm going into my second year at the University of Bath for Mathematical Sciences, feel free to quote me if there's anything up :smile:

Thanks! Do you want me to add you to the helpers list?
Original post by Palette
Do you think you did well for Maths and Further Maths, and do you want me to add you to the helpers list?

Apart from Mechanics I think I did okay but I'm not one to judge how they did after an exam - I feel like I'll just jinx myself and end up disappointed:colondollar:
C1 and C2 however :tongue:
And yeah sure.
Original post by Palette
Thanks! Do you want me to add you to the helpers list?

That would be handy. :smile:
Reply 26
I just finished AS Mathematics and Further Mathematics - did AQA so I'm up for being a helper (since AQA are a**holes) :biggrin:

:five:
Reply 27
Apart from Mechanics I think I did okay but I'm not one to judge how they did after an exam - I feel like I'll just jinx myself and end up disappointed:colondollar:
C1 and C2 however :tongue:
And yeah sure.

Original post by SeanFM
That would be handy. :smile:

I've added you two to the helpers list.

I'm finding C2 very boring at the moment.
Reply 28
I'll help out if I can. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Patrick2810
For D2 will you ever be asked to "minimise" with simplex tableaux?

thanks

No (for edexcel at least)
Original post by Palette
I've added you two to the helpers list.

I'm finding C2 very boring at the moment.

I think the core modules are very easy to do well in, just do a lot of past papers and you will do well :smile:
It's the applied modules which can cause problems sometimes
Will you still be able to do an A-level in one year? I going to be doing Maths and the 3 sciences AS this year and was hoping that if i could handle the workload I could try and do FM in one year.
I did A2 Maths and AS Further Maths (with FP2) this year, so I'll be happy to answer any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by Krollo
I'll help out if I can. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

Original post by Sesshomaru24U
Will you still be able to do an A-level in one year? I going to be doing Maths and the 3 sciences AS this year and was hoping that if i could handle the workload I could try and do FM in one year.

I think some schools do all of Maths A Level in Year 12, and all of Further Maths in Year 13. The number of modules you study is the same anyway, if I'm right. Check with your school.

Original post by kingaaran
I did A2 Maths and AS Further Maths (with FP2) this year, so I'll be happy to answer any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll add you to the helpers list!
Original post by C0balt
I've completed AS level Maths and FM this year, probably As in them.
I will join as a helper here

Do you have any tips for someone who got a B at GCSE?
Reply 35
Original post by TheHopefulMedic
Do you have any tips for someone who got a B at GCSE?

Be honest to yourself.

That is the most important thing.
When you aren't sure of something, don't say "I think I understand it". Sort out anything that is stopping you from saying "I completely understand it, come at me everyone with any question" as soon as possible. There are many ways of sorting problems out. What will stop you from sorting them out is your dishonesty to yourself. And if you don't sort them out at early stage, the problem will snowball hard because maths requires to apply your previous knowledge to advance.
Take full advantage of the resources available to you. This thread, maths forums, YouTube, exam solution, simply Google, and good old teachers and textbooks.

As soon as you complete a module, start doing a past paper per week or every two weeks etc. This will avoid being overwhelmed by the amount of past paper you have to complete near exam period.
Reply 36
Original post by C0balt
I've completed AS level Maths and FM this year, probably As in them.
I will join as a helper here

Edit: Got my results, got 97% across the maths modules. I think I am qualified as a helper now :tongue:

Congratulations! How much revision did you do for Maths and Further Maths?
Reply 37
Original post by Palette
Congratulations! How much revision did you do for Maths and Further Maths?

I did every single past paper from 2006 to 2014 for each module. That's about it. (well it's a lot I guess, idk lol)
Reply 38
Original post by C0balt
I did every single past paper from 2006 to 2014 for each module. That's about it. (well it's a lot I guess, idk lol)

Did you not write out any notes?
Reply 39
Can I join as helper? Got 98% across 12 modules (useless on decision and the bigger-numbered mechanics but oh well :tongue:)
edit: just realised this was for AS, guess the mechanics won't matter. :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest