The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RueXO
I do, but it's almost always wrong, especially when it's like 'explain why binomial/normal/etc is/isn't appropriate here'
The textbook doesn't explain it as such either so I kinda just learnt what to do but not why if that makes sense.
I need to ace stars because I failed c1 :/

Oh I see, I guess that has something to do with the conditions or some kind of context in the question. I see what you mean :tongue:

I know what you mean as well :redface: but no worries, you have some time for this.
to get an A for a level maths, will it matter if I exceed the 240/300 ums for AS?
as in will it allow me to lose more marks in c34
Original post by imran_
to get an A for a level maths, will it matter if I exceed the 240/300 ums for AS?
as in will it allow me to lose more marks in c34

There is no requirement to get 80%+ in AS.

But yes, the more you get in AS, the less you need to get in A2 to get 480+.
Original post by SeanFM
There is no requirement to get 80%+ in AS.

But yes, the more you get in AS, the less you need to get in A2 to get 480+.

Ah okay, for an A* is it the same case?
Original post by imran_
Ah okay, for an A* is it the same case?

I do not know what was required for IAL so I have looked this up on the Edexcel website.

You need 480 in total as well as 180+ UMS from C34.
Can somebody explain to me how to come up with the answers to perm and comp questions such as Q6: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65851-question-paper-unit-4732-probability-statistics-1.pdf.
I can get the answers to some of them but most of the mark schemes just include a bunch of factorial stuff- which I know is the basis behind perms and comps but I would rather have a method where I can just put the number of possibilities on the bottom and a few perms/comps on the top.
Original post by black1blade
Can somebody explain to me how to come up with the answers to perm and comp questions such as Q6: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65851-question-paper-unit-4732-probability-statistics-1.pdf.
I can get the answers to some of them but most of the mark schemes just include a bunch of factorial stuff- which I know is the basis behind perms and comps but I would rather have a method where I can just put the number of possibilities on the bottom and a few perms/comps on the top.

Check this out http://betterexplained.com/articles/easy-permutations-and-combinations/

The first one is just n factorial = 7 factorial= 5040 arrangements
This is because for the first place there are 7 ways to arrange the people. for the second chair there are 6 possible ways and so on.. so 7x6x5x4x3x2x1= 7!

the second one:
You have tom and jerry already seated so now you need to chose for the other 5 places. this would be 5! ways. But there are 6 positions assuming Tom or jerry have already been allocated a seat. Hence the number of ways this is possible is 6 multiplied by 5!. now to get probability just divide this value by the answer in (a)

Try the rest on your own.
Original post by anujsr
The first one is just n factorial = 7 factorial= 5040 arrangements
This is because for the first place there are 7 ways to arrange the people. for the second chair there are 6 possible ways and so on.. so 7x6x5x4x3x2x1= 7!

the second one:
You have tom and jerry already seated so now you need to chose for the other 5 places. this would be 5! ways. But there are 6 positions assuming Tom or jerry have already been allocated a seat. Hence the number of ways this is possible is 6 multiplied by 5!. now to get probability just divide this value by the answer in (a)

Try the rest on your own.

Well I've already done this paper but I lost all the marks on part ii. Can't quite remember the answer though so for no 2 boys to sit together the order must be BGBGBGB. Would that then be 4!3!/5040 then?
Well I've already done this paper but I lost all the marks on part ii. Can't quite remember the answer though so for no 2 boys to sit together the order must be BGBGBGB. Would that then be 4!3!/5040 then?

Yeah.
Probability help please
I've done all parts of this question but I don't understand 5iii
Original post by osayukiigbinoba
Probability help please
I've done all parts of this question but I don't understand 5iii

3rd ticket on 9th attempt - see link between ii and that question for that one.

Then, there is only one way from there (after winning 2 in 8, then 3rd on 9th, and 4th one on 12) and that probability is found by.. (look what they've multiplied by)
Reply 4572
I wonder, why did a Year 13 version of this never take hold?
Original post by SeanFM
3rd ticket on 9th attempt - see link between ii and that question for that one.

Then, there is only one way from there (after winning 2 in 8, then 3rd on 9th, and 4th one on 12) and that probability is found by.. (look what they've multiplied by)

Thank you, but where do the 2 failures come from (1-0.27)^2 for the 4th ticket on the 12th attempt?
Original post by osayuki
Thank you, but where do the 2 failures come from (1-0.27)^2 for the 4th ticket on the 12th attempt?

3rd one is won on the 9th. Then if the 4th one is won on the 12th, then you can't win any on the 10th and 11th, and there is only one way of arranging this (think of it being the first win on the third go).
Original post by SeanFM
3rd one is won on the 9th. Then if the 4th one is won on the 12th, then you can't win any on the 10th and 11th, and there is only one way of arranging this (think of it being the first win on the third go).

Oh thank you, I get it now!
Any predictions for C1/2 Edexcel grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For stats 1, how do you get those lengthy description questions right? These usually add up and cost me 10-15 marks 😒 I can't afford to get anything below 70 in stats because of my core 1. My initial plan was to do well in c1&2 but after c1 flopped I need to make up for it with stats/: I can do stats, it's just all them bloody 'explain why this happens' or 'explain why this girl won't buy ice cream' etc and I'm just guessing and usually get it wrong. The maths is generally ok for me (still need to work on scaling and probability but it's slowly getting there)
Original post by RueXO
For stats 1, how do you get those lengthy description questions right? These usually add up and cost me 10-15 marks 😒 I can't afford to get anything below 70 in stats because of my core 1. My initial plan was to do well in c1&2 but after c1 flopped I need to make up for it with stats/: I can do stats, it's just all them bloody 'explain why this happens' or 'explain why this girl won't buy ice cream' etc and I'm just guessing and usually get it wrong. The maths is generally ok for me (still need to work on scaling and probability but it's slowly getting there)

For the life of me I can't remember what those questions are like :redface: but in general, think about the context, and then think about the probabilities/whatever that you have calculated and what they mean (which is probably the clue/answer to those description questions) and decide what to do. Just takes practice, I think. And don't worry - you have plenty of time to ensure that you get 70 or even high as long as you've got everything covered (solomon papers may be worth a shout).
I've got a question about the way the papers are marked by Edexcel, I know that if you have more than one attempt at a question they have to mark both and score the highest attempt.

So in an M1 paper for example, let's say you weren't sure whether g acts upwards or downwards, could you write out the method for g acting up and down and then the examiner would mark whichever is correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest