The Student Room Group

Applying without a predicted grade in a subject

I am sitting one subject as a private candidate (Chemistry) and thus don't have any predicted grades for it. What do I do when I apply to uni?
You have to predict it for yourself.
Original post by mogwai98
You have to predict it for yourself.

I think OP is doing other subjects with his school so he won't be able to enter in his predicted results as his referee will.
Original post by Unbroken Oath
I am sitting one subject as a private candidate (Chemistry) and thus don't have any predicted grades for it. What do I do when I apply to uni?

I sat Critical Thinking as a private candidate and had to predict my own grade but I asked some teachers for advice first :smile:
Original post by High Stakes
I think OP is doing other subjects with his school so he won't be able to enter in his predicted results as his referee will.

Sure, but if he's self studied then he'll need to work out for himself what he'll most likely get as a teacher won't know how he's done with it.
Reply 5

You have to get your school to predict it. It'd be your school's choice what to base your predictions on. I'm sitting Physics privately, applying for university this year, and have spoken to several admissions tutors about this.

It's the same for me with one of my subjects, let me know if you figure it out :colondollar:
Original post by smartsy
You have to get your school to predict it. It'd be your school's choice what to base your predictions on. I'm sitting Physics privately, applying for university this year, and have spoken to several admissions tutors about this.

My school said they can't because none of their teachers know me 'academically' for chemistry.
Reply 8
My school said they can't because none of their teachers know me 'academically' for chemistry.

That's tough :frown: I am yet to speak to my school about my situation, but other than that that's all the information I've been told if you're sitting privately.
Original post by smartsy
That's tough :frown: I am yet to speak to my school about my situation, but other than that that's all the information I've been told if you're sitting privately.

Does your school have tutors?
Original post by francescarlett
I sat Critical Thinking as a private candidate and had to predict my own grade but I asked some teachers for advice first :smile:

That is ridiculous
Original post by games211
That is ridiculous

Why so ridiculous?
What about unis that look at AS grades but you havent got an AS grade for it yet?

For example, i will apply to UCL for economics and im planning to do economics in a year next year. Therefore i dont have an AS grade in it but Economics will make up part of my offer. Will i be rejected by ucl due to not having an AS grade in the a level?

Negotiate something with the chemistry teachers. Tell them you'll sit a mock test for them and whatever you get in that should be a basis for a predicted grade.

Similar thing will happen to me for Economics
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Negotiate something with the chemistry teachers. Tell them you'll sit a mock test for them and whatever you get in that should be a basis for a predicted grade.

Similar thing will happen to me for Economics

That's absurd sitting a mock test for A2 so early though. Whatever he or she gets in this mock test should improve by at least 2 grades when all the content is learned ect
Original post by alexp98
That's absurd sitting a mock test for A2 so early though. Whatever he or she gets in this mock test should improve by at least 2 grades when all the content is learned ect

Not an A2 mock, a mock on the AS because i would assume OP would have covered a fair amount of AS first over summer.

And anyway, that's what I kind of said. The result of the mock test would be a base for the predicted grade and surely OP would improve on it :smile:
Do it. I resat modules as a private candidate this season and my former tutor at college couldn't provide me with predicted grades, so I had BCC to go on. I ended up with AAA offers from Birmingham and Sheffield and ABB from Liverpool, so provided your personal statement and reference are strong and you show that you can improve then the universities will give you offers

Quick Reply