The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why can't people speak properly anymore?

I just don't understand why people can't speak the proper posh English accent anymore, like in Victorian times. Why do people have to say things like 'yrite mate', what happened to a simple: Hello, how are you? ... Not pronouncing letters, saying weird phrases / words like they're speaking another language. It seems to be only England / the UK that are doing this to this extent. Marcus Butler is a good example of how people should speak, it sounds a lot more courteous

And when people say things like "oi oi" and "wheyyyy"... Do they think they are some kind of farm animal or something?

It is actually quite worrying that grown people aren't able to pronounce basic phrases correctly anymore. A boy in year 2 would be able to say "Are you alright" correctly, but grown men / women can't seem to do it, and instead utter some sort of phrase such as 'yrite' or 'ite', which is quite worrying
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
we -never- spoke proper queens english and anyone who tells you otherwise is deluded

in "the olden days" the poor couldn't even read, it was a skill held predominantly by the wealthy

dialect and region-specific slang has been a thing for a long time and it's unlikely to change
Reply 2
U got a problem m8?
I don't think Marcus Butler is an excellent example. I personally don't have an issue with the way people choose to speak; their version of English should however be somewhat understandable.
Reply 4
Original post by SiminaM
U got a problem m8?

Try again:

Excuse me sir, do you have a problem?
Because the state schools didnt teach them how to speak english correctly
I don't think proper English has ever been a nationwide thing. In many ways I think I prefer the American accent - not the cliched overbearing stereotypical version - just in general it is more democratic and on the level.
Reply 7
Original post by zigglr
Try again:

Excuse me sir, do you have a problem?

Cba

Posted from TSR Mobile
To the OP: I understand totally what you mean! :sadnod:

People like my grandad say things sen in place of self and nowt in place of nothing, but rants about how we are the worst English speakers in the world! :banghead: :mad:

I have increased your reputation accordingly. :yep:
Reply 9
Original post by pinkteddyx64
To the OP: I understand totally what you mean! :sadnod:

People like my grandad say things sen in place of self and nowt in place of nothing, but rants about how we are the worst English speakers in the world! :banghead: :mad:

I have increased your reputation accordingly. :yep:

I have no idea what you're saying here, but thanks :tongue:
I agree. There's only so many times I can go to urban dictionary to translate what people say :colonhash:
Everyone has accents. As long as they are understandable and use correct grammar it isn't a MAJOR issue. I think it's more worrying how people write and how written communication has really gone downhill. At least most people can read.

On a side note:

http://newsthump.com/2015/07/23/extracts-from-britain-first-facebook-page-being-used-for-primary-school-english-tests/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimeWalker
I don't think proper English has ever been a nationwide thing. In many ways I think I prefer the American accent - not the cliched overbearing stereotypical version - just in general it is more democratic and on the level.

Jesus wept! :cry:

Then STFU!!:colonhash:
Depending on whether you speak to my father's family (who are from Dagenham) I either talk like I'm posh or a friend of mine, (who is from Cambridge) I talk funny.

Neither understand a word I say. :lol: :redface:

I agree with the OP. But I don't think it's anything new.
Original post by zigglr
It is pretty much exclusively the UK / England. I just don't understand why people can't speak the proper posh English accent anymore, like in the olden days. Why do people have to say things like 'yrite mate', what happened to a simple: Hello, how are you? ... Not pronouncing letters, saying weird phrases / words like they're speaking another language. It seems to be only England / the UK that are doing this to this extent. Marcus Butler is a good example of how people should speak, it sound a lot more courteous

And when people say things like "oi oi" and "wheyyyy"... Do they think they are some kind of farm animal or something?

At what epoch in history do you think that the English language, in this country, was stable, and why is that preferred?

The wonderful thing about it is that it is forever changing, and it reflects the peoples, the cultures and regions that adopt it. To wish for it to be stale is to want to world to be that little bit more homogeneous. Why would you ask for that?
Reply 16
Original post by Sir Candour
At what epoch in history do you think that the English language, in this country, was stable, and why is that preferred?

The wonderful thing about it is that it is forever changing, and it reflects the peoples, the cultures and regions that adopt it. To wish for it to be stale is to want to world to be that little bit more homogeneous. Why would you ask for that?

Because I literally can't understand what a lot of my people are saying to me now... It's like they're speaking another language, it sounds terrible and very plebby. Posh English accent is the most clear and easy to understand for everyone, because the words are actually pronounced like their supposed to be
(edited 8 years ago)
What some would consider 'top class' English is actually somewhat annoying to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1S9F3agsUA
It's called slang.
Reply 19
Original post by Alyssa_kassar
It's called slang.

No the entire way they speak, pronounce words etc. is messed up

Latest

Trending

Trending