The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why can't people speak properly anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Profesh
Ten years ago, perhaps.

Aren't you the guy that posed nude on a thread?:rofl:

And you asked girls to rate you out of ten?
If you don't like how people around you speak, keep different company...
Britan is a dumbed down society. Thats why.
Original post by zigglr
Most people did, that's why England is associated with the posh accent. Unfortunately nowadays it is a minority / only people living in the wealthy south areas with this accent.

No, they didn't.

RP originated in public schools, where it was taught precisely to mask regional dialects. It is identified with England so strongly because it was adopted by the BBC.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No, they didn't.

RP originated in public schools, where it was taught precisely to mask regional dialects. It is identified with England so strongly because it was adopted by the BBC.

Isn't the BBC more tolerant of regional dialects these days?
Original post by flibber
Isn't the BBC more tolerant of regional dialects these days?

These days, yes, but the association is already there now.

On the other hand, if you think about their major exports -- news, doctor who, top gear, etc -- there's a lot of more 'proper' English used in them.
No, they didn't.

Explained in this link

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/case-studies/received-pronunciation/
Original post by Alyssa_kassar
It's called slang.

That's what he said:

I need elocution lessons
These days, yes, but the association is already there now.

On the other hand, if you think about their major exports -- news, doctor who, top gear, etc -- there's a lot of more 'proper' English used in them.

There have always been different levels of speech (standard and non-standard, formal and colloquial, not to mention the provinicial differences), so I don't see how the problem the OP is raising is very recent.

P.S. If you were a Saxon landlord living in the year 1150, and you saw your tenants ignore the grammatical genders (Old English had 3 genders), would you have scolded them?
Original post by flibber
There have always been different levels of speech (standard and non-standard, formal and colloquial, not to mention the provinicial differences), so I don't see how the problem the OP is raising is very recent.

P.S. If you were a Saxon landlord living in the year 1150, and you saw your tenants ignore the grammatical genders (Old English had 3 genders), would you have scolded them?

I'm not sure what your point is. I haven't done anything but give an explanation as to the origins of RP English, since OP was apparently confused.
I'm not sure what your point is. I haven't done anything but give an explanation as to the origins of RP English, since OP was apparently confused.

1. The OP used the word 'anymore', which implied that until now or recently, people (I assume he meant the majority) were able to speak Received Pronunciation. What I meant was that the OP got that wrong given that differences in dialects have always existed. Also I think he seems to be mixing up dialect and accent.

2. I asked you that question because you like to insist on standard grammatical practice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by flibber

2. I asked you that question because you like to insist on standard grammatical practice.

I don't insist on anything for anyone else, though your usage of grammar may cause me to make certain inferences about you. The advice I gave on grammar in the thread you're thinking of was given on the assumption that people reading a thread about grammar would want to improve theirs. Incidentally, I should have thought it more appropriate for you to take this up with me there, if you wished to, rather than to derail a thread about accents.
I actually agree OP.

I'm poor but have been told i speak posh for using proper language, namely calling my mother "mother".
mwahah I can switch between normal/posh/sort of chavvy depending on who I'm talking to but i don't know most of the ultra chav words so have to use urban dictionary.. :shame:
you look kind of like a snob if you speak posh to a chav.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
The pretentiousness is real.
I don't insist on anything for anyone else, though your usage of grammar may cause me to make certain inferences about you. The advice I gave on grammar in the thread you're thinking of was given on the assumption that people reading a thread about grammar would want to improve theirs. Incidentally, I should have thought it more appropriate for you to take this up with me there, if you wished to, rather than to derail a thread about accents.

I've sent a visitor message to keep the thread on topic.
Original post by I extort Hijabis
Aren't you the guy that posed nude on a thread?:rofl:

Semi-nude; when it was all the rage. And before your time, evidently.

And you asked girls to rate you out of ten?

I've no such misgivings regarding my physical appearance; hence being vain enough to pose semi-nude on TSR's 'Back Room', in 2008, at the request of another member.

Anyway, who gives a ****?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Dang urban yoofs and their hip jibberjabber

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
No, they didn't.

It doesn't matter. Even if you do want to greet someone with 'are you alright', saying 'yrite' or even 'ite' is not how you say these words. These people are not even speaking basic english properly, which they learn in year 2, and it is quite worrying
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending