The Student Room Group
I keep thinking that says MTAS, I was like, one step at a time mate :p:
Reply 2
darrenjn5
Hey,

I'm planning on filling my four applications for GEP med with GEP courses - is this just foolish?! Apart from my A-Levels I think my application is pretty strong (at least I hope so!)....just have to get through the MSATand UKCAT. Fun Fun Fun.

In a word .... Yes!!!!

If ur A-levels are great and u have a strong application, you still need a bit of luck to get a place on a 5/6 year course:smile:

Applying to just GEP's is madness, they're so much more competitive (probably 5 or 6 times more competitive on average than a 5/6 year course)

If you want to give yourself a reasonable chance of getting an offer, you probably should apply to at least 2 5/6 year courses.

If u aren't able to do a 5/6 year course because of money etc..., then you've nothing to lose by applying to 4 GEPs but you need to realise just how difficult it is to get on a GEP and don't hold your breath:smile:
Johnny C.
In a word .... Yes!!!!

If ur A-levels are great and u have a strong application, you still need a bit of luck to get a place on a 5/6 year course:smile:

Applying to just GEP's is madness, they're so much more competitive (probably 5 or 6 times more competitive on average than a 5/6 year course)

If you want to give yourself a reasonable chance of getting an offer, you probably should apply to at least 2 5/6 year courses.

If u aren't able to do a 5/6 year course because of money etc..., then you've nothing to lose by applying to 4 GEPs but you need to realise just how difficult it is to get on a GEP and don't hold your breath:smile:

I agree! GEPs are no laughing matter...only the really elite students get on those. They definetely are extremely competitive to get into, and in comparison you may have a greater shot at applying to 1 or 2 yr courses also. Try to see what each university's policy on graduate applicants to these courses is, then decide where you wanna apply after seeing what unis are for you! Also, with 5yr courses you get a lot more choice of unis to go to, which makes me more fun flicking through them to find your ideal place :biggrin:
Reply 4
graemematt
I agree! GEPs are no laughing matter...only the really elite students get on those. They definetely are extremely competitive to get into, and in comparison you may have a greater shot at applying to 1 or 2 yr courses also. Try to see what each university's policy on graduate applicants to these courses is, then decide where you wanna apply after seeing what unis are for you! Also, with 5yr courses you get a lot more choice of unis to go to, which makes me more fun flicking through them to find your ideal place :biggrin:

Yeah I agree. Its risky applying to 4 GEPs, yeah, you might get in, but if you don't, its a year wasted and you could have been on a 5 year course!
Reply 5
But GEP's quite often don't look at A-levels. Some may be dependant on your GAMSAT / MSAT scores whether or not you even get an interview.

There's no guarantee of being accepted onto any course whether its GEP or 5/6 year. How many straight A students have been rejected for medicine? Loads!

Do what you think is best for you, since you could quite easily apply to 4 of the 5 year courses and get rejected from all of them whereas you could get accepted onto the GEP. Or vice versa.

The whole thing is a lottery anyway. Just make sure you have lots of work experience etc to strengthen your application.
Reply 6
Greenmile
But GEP's quite often don't look at A-levels.

Liverpool do...very strict too-they want BBB.

I don't like the idea of having to get a certain mark in an entrance exam before you're even considered. Too much pressure for me.
Reply 7
Oxford and Newcastle GEPs also use A-Level points as one of the major criteria...
Some places if you apply for their GEP, if you don't get a place, they consider you for the 5 year. I think Barts do that. Maybe some of those wouldn't be such a gamble.
Reply 9
bright star
Some places if you apply for their GEP, if you don't get a place, they consider you for the 5 year. I think Barts do that. Maybe some of those wouldn't be such a gamble.

Nope Barts don't... If you want to be considered for the 5 year and GEP you have to apply to each separately...

The only GEP that does is KCL - but that's only for people who just miss a GEP interview.

Liverpool have made 5 year offers to GEP applicants before, but apparently do not anymore.
Reply 10
Fluffy
Liverpool have made 5 year offers to GEP applicants before, but apparently do not anymore.

Yep, they have also made GEP offers to 5 year only applicants, but again not heard of this recently.

Latest