The Student Room Group

Need A*, A, A for Cambridge, but my subjects only go up to A

I plan to apply to Cambridge to study law and I am confident that I will achieve the highest grades for each of my subjects, but I am concerned that I will not be offered a place since it is not possible for me to attain to the required level. I was wondering if anyone had a solution to my query or someone who had been through this themselves? Thanks
What do you mean your subjects only go to A? What are you studying?
Reply 2
Original post by Chris Scamander
What do you mean your subjects only go to A? What are you studying?

like for the whole course (AS and A2) the final maximum grade is an A.

Im taking Edexcel A level Economics, OCR A level Maths and OCR A level English Literature.
Original post by __wjk__

Im taking Edexcel A level Economics, OCR A level Maths and OCR A level English Literature.

WHy do you think these courses don't give A*s? All A levels do ...
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
WHy do you think these courses don't give A*s? All A levels do ...

I looked on the OCR and Edexcel resources for each of these subjects and in June 2014, the A* column was either left blank (Edexcel) or non-existent (in OCR's case)
Reply 5
Original post by __wjk__
I looked on the OCR and Edexcel resources for each of these subjects and in June 2014, the A* column was either left blank (Edexcel) or non-existent (in OCR's case)

Only AS goes up to A. All A2s from the British boards may award an A* provided you get an overall average of 80% in the A-Level and 90% in A2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by __wjk__

I've just looked in the Edexcel specification for Economics and it says:

"The full GCE Advanced level will be graded on a six-point scale A* to E.Individual unit results will be reported"

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Economics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035227_GCE_Lin_Econom_Issue_5.pdf

I'm sure if you check the others it will be the same.
Reply 7
Original post by *Stefan*
Only AS goes up to A. All A2s from the British boards may reward an A* provided you get an overall average of 80% in the A-Level and 90% in A2.

ah ok, thanks Stefan
Original post by __wjk__

OCR Maths and Edexcel Economics both go up to A*. Do you mean to say you won't be able to get the UMS required for the offer or something? You can always re-sit.
Original post by __wjk__

OCR maths definitely has an A* grade. Thought it was a given for all subjects tbh.
This A* rubbish thing shud be taken off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Id leave cambridge if i was you if you didnt know an A* existed for your subjects.

I joke, good luck with your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest