The Student Room Group

The Pressure To Go To University

I go to a Grammar School Sixth Form, and whilst they discuss universities, go on compulsory university open day visits and give us the summer homework of completing a personal statement, I am lucky that they also have speakers in school from various different apprenticeship schemes, and don't just assume we plan on going to university.
For years I said I wasn't interested in going to a university, but my brother persevered in uni propaganda until I would at least consider it as an option, which in all fairness was a move based on what was best for me. However, over the past two years, I've not managed to find a uni I like or a course I feel particularly inspired by- and when I would study linguistics, language or creative writing, inspiration is probably a must-have. Then, there's grants being cut and university fees rising, and I feel it's too expensive to justify. That's sad for me, as my education has always been of value to me, just not of a monetary value.
I've looked into some apprenticeships, but I do want to do something based on writing. I need to look into media apprenticeships, but most apprenticeships I see are based on engineering or vocational careers I'd be terrible at. Air Hostess apprenticeships or something of the like wouldn't be too bad as I've always wanted to travel. However, is it worth going through an apprenticeship and all that training, though, for a job you're only mildly interested in? Or is that "just life"? Is it better to go to university and study linguistics just to carry on specializing in your favorite subject, even though you don't really feel inspired by any universities as of yet; or is it better to get an apprenticeship and be qualified and in a job, and move writing to a hobby?
If I got a job, I would have to get a local one to save up, but I'm honestly scared of ending up in a dead-end job, constantly saving up for a big move that will never happen. What other similar position is anyone else in? Who else feels pressured to go to a university, simply because they don't know what else to do? I'm happy to take a gap year to think things through and get my thoughts sorted, but I don't have plans for that either, other than the day-job scenario again. What has everyone else done in their gap year?
Original post by SykesSwift
I go to a Grammar School Sixth Form, and whilst they discuss universities, go on compulsory university open day visits and give us the summer homework of completing a personal statement, I am lucky that they also have speakers in school from various different apprenticeship schemes, and don't just assume we plan on going to university.
For years I said I wasn't interested in going to a university, but my brother persevered in uni propaganda until I would at least consider it as an option, which in all fairness was a move based on what was best for me. However, over the past two years, I've not managed to find a uni I like or a course I feel particularly inspired by- and when I would study linguistics, language or creative writing, inspiration is probably a must-have. Then, there's grants being cut and university fees rising, and I feel it's too expensive to justify. That's sad for me, as my education has always been of value to me, just not of a monetary value.
I've looked into some apprenticeships, but I do want to do something based on writing. I need to look into media apprenticeships, but most apprenticeships I see are based on engineering or vocational careers I'd be terrible at. Air Hostess apprenticeships or something of the like wouldn't be too bad as I've always wanted to travel. However, is it worth going through an apprenticeship and all that training, though, for a job you're only mildly interested in? Or is that "just life"? Is it better to go to university and study linguistics just to carry on specializing in your favorite subject, even though you don't really feel inspired by any universities as of yet; or is it better to get an apprenticeship and be qualified and in a job, and move writing to a hobby?
If I got a job, I would have to get a local one to save up, but I'm honestly scared of ending up in a dead-end job, constantly saving up for a big move that will never happen. What other similar position is anyone else in? Who else feels pressured to go to a university, simply because they don't know what else to do? I'm happy to take a gap year to think things through and get my thoughts sorted, but I don't have plans for that either, other than the day-job scenario again. What has everyone else done in their gap year?

I'll tell you what I tell everyone I know.

This is your life and you have one chance to make it amazing.

I totally get the dilemma that you're in. At the end of the day when it comes to big choices like this you need to take a step back and have some space from everyone and think 'What do I want from life?' 'What are my dreams?' e.g. To be happy? Travel? Think general goals as well as any specifics but don't tie a job to them just yet.

Research into it all and ask questions but don't give in to any pressure to do what other people suggest because it's 'traditional' or well paid. Keep visualising yourself studying/working for that job; would you really be happy doing that? If not then move on to something else. Life's too short.

I say, If you go to Uni, do something that drives you. Try out some taster courses. To me there is no point racking up loans and studying for years for something you don't even love.

Taking a Gap year to me seems like the most logical step for you so that you have time to think and breathe and decide. Get a job during then and give writing a really good go. Set yourself some goals, apply for journalism apprentiships and make a deal with yourself that if it doesn't go anywhere by the end of that year then you'll go back to the drawing board but at least you'll have learnt something; it'd be an experience.

Hope this helps :wink:
Good Luck! x
Reply 2
High apprenticeships are what you need to be looking at, they're basically sponsored degrees with paid work experience. There usually run by big companies which is great because they invest tons in training you while paying you a wage in stead of you paying for your education and training while loaning money to live like a tramp.

People like to talk **** about apprenticeships even when they are trying to be helpful 'not everyone's smart enough to go to uni' etc when the reality is doing an apprenticeship doesn't mean your not academically capable or won't gain a degree.

I'm very happy I did an apprenticeship I'll have a car and mortgage before most people have graduated and funds to start my own business and the ability to earn 6 figures a year before most graduates have got their first promotion.

As long as you don't end up in a scam apprenticeship (employers abusing lower minimum wage for apprentices without providing training or little training however this is really unlikely with a higher apprenticeship) most apprentices are pretty successful as they have specific qualifications and plenty of job experience by the time they qualify.
Reply 3
Original post by SykesSwift
x

Hey, I go to a grammar school too and they hardly do anything about other things than uni after A levels, luckily I want to go to uni.
But like the above user posted, taking a gap year might be a good idea to think about what you want to do, you may want to look at joint degrees as well as ones that allow you to pick your own modules, eg in some unis for the degree I want to do you can do a module in anything - ranging from a language to history. Also apprenticeships can land you in really good places and there's no point going to uni if you don't have any course you want to do.
Also I wouldn't say the cost of going to uni is as bad as it seems. I'm not sure about the maintenance loans but you only have to pay back university fees when you get a job over a certain pay threshold. So it may seem like a lot however, it isn't too expensive as soon as you go which is why so many people are still going to university.
There may be other things apart from apprenticeships and university after A levels so you may want to look at all of your options first.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest