The Student Room Group

School won't let me retake!

Scroll to see replies

Sorry I initially misread it definitely retake the year because then you won't have to pay a penny and can still attend classes plus have your exams paid for. I privately retook the year but mainly because I would have been year 14 and missed the initial late enrolment due to being on holiday last year. However I found self studying much better than learning in a class. Good luck and try and hit the ground running!
So you're aware, most universities will (rightly) discount a foreign-language qualification in your native tongue.
Original post by Sonusha88
Hi, so this is a long story so I'll try to be quick about it.

I'm currently in year 12 and took completely wrong subjects for my AS: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German and Russian. I had no idea what I wanted to do at the beginning after my GCSE's, and took academic subjects because everybody knows that theres always a job there and had good GCSE results overall. However now approaching results day, I know I screwed up. I did revise, I worked hard, but especially the sciences just knocked me out - didn't help that I hated the subjects throughout the year either. Apart from Russian and Maths I think I did awful, and my predictions are something like ABDDU. Chemistry being the 100% U - the last exam I just gave up on.

However my school won't let me retake! Now my only option is to take languages but I know it's not something I love enough to do for the rest of my life. The real AS subjects I should have taken should be - English lit, Music, German, Russian, and Maths. I know that the best option for me is to retake the year because now I'd at least have an idea of what I want to do at uni. I love music so much but without doing a level, (although have grade 8), won't be able to apply to do music at university. I don't know why I made such a stupid mistake, having taken those subjects I would be fine now, and my grades I'm sure would be much higher. I know I'm capable of much more!

The school said a 'final' no, and I have even tried to contact other colleges explaining my situation but also having received a rejection. I have no idea what to do now and panicking because I know that next year will be a complete disaster.

Thanks for reading all the rambles.....

Could you ask to take A2 German and AS + A2 Music at school this year, while privately continuing with Russian? That way, you're still a full time student since you're taking three subjects at school but you don't have to keep up subjects you don't like :smile:

Also, some universities may not actually require music A level to study music as a degree - I have a friend who's studying Music (albeit at a lower ranking uni) having only got grade 6 in her instrument with no A level music either. Might depend on how practical/ theoretical the course is though, if there is more theory they may want you to have had more academic study via A level music rather than just performance grades. Best thing to do about this is to phone some of the universities you are interested in to ask if they would accept grade 8 instead of A2 music, or perhaps grade 8 + AS music instead of the whole A level?
Reply 23
Original post by maggie43
yeah I think that's the best option for you

Okay thank you guys for the advice I shall find out what they say and get back to you (if you're interested) :biggrin:
you could always self teach yourself at home and do the exams privately
If you manage to pass the AS courses then you have a proven track record of being able to pass. Go to another school/college - someone will take you. You are not high risk of failure! This is unless you have very high target grades and are at risk of hitting 'value-added' data signficantly. Go to the local FE colleges - they will be very willing to take you I am sure.
Reply 26
Original post by physio_sparkly
If you manage to pass the AS courses then you have a proven track record of being able to pass. Go to another school/college - someone will take you. You are not high risk of failure! This is unless you have very high target grades and are at risk of hitting 'value-added' data signficantly. Go to the local FE colleges - they will be very willing to take you I am sure.

Yeah apart from Chemistry I think I've at least passed the others :redface:
Unfortunately I do have all A's as my target grades because of good GCSE results so don't know how badly that will look. FE colleges?
Reply 27
Original post by JANOS SLYNT
you could always self teach yourself at home and do the exams privately

But it will mean AS and A2 English lit and Music in one year? I doubt it
Reply 28
Original post by Profesh
So you're aware, most universities will (rightly) discount a foreign-language qualification in your native tongue.

I'm not fully native, I've never lived there and had to work for it thanks - I traveled every Saturday to go to a school for classes and still worked hard to get that (I think) A. That's like saying if somebody is naturally good at maths and has finished their A level maths early it should be discounted... It wasn't easy for me to learn english mate.
Reply 29
Original post by neal95
Sorry I initially misread it definitely retake the year because then you won't have to pay a penny and can still attend classes plus have your exams paid for. I privately retook the year but mainly because I would have been year 14 and missed the initial late enrolment due to being on holiday last year. However I found self studying much better than learning in a class. Good luck and try and hit the ground running!

Thank you, the only problem now is finding a college which will understand my situation enough to let me in :s-smilie:
Reply 30
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Could you ask to take A2 German and AS + A2 Music at school this year, while privately continuing with Russian? That way, you're still a full time student since you're taking three subjects at school but you don't have to keep up subjects you don't like :smile:

Also, some universities may not actually require music A level to study music as a degree - I have a friend who's studying Music (albeit at a lower ranking uni) having only got grade 6 in her instrument with no A level music either. Might depend on how practical/ theoretical the course is though, if there is more theory they may want you to have had more academic study via A level music rather than just performance grades. Best thing to do about this is to phone some of the universities you are interested in to ask if they would accept grade 8 instead of A2 music, or perhaps grade 8 + AS music instead of the whole A level?

Yeah that sounds like a great idea actually! I think I'll contact some.
First thing to do is to wait until you get your results.

It doesn't matter if your college said "no" to you resitting the year. You can either retake the modules with your A2 exams or move to another 6th form/college to study new subjects for two years.

Sometimes, you have to leave something behind in order to explore your options. So, if that means leaving your current 6th form and enrol to another 6th form, then it's probably the best decision to make.

But, for now, wait until you know your grades and search for other possible 6th forms just in case you want to resit the year again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest