The Student Room Group

School won't let me retake!

Hi, so this is a long story so I'll try to be quick about it.

I'm currently in year 12 and took completely wrong subjects for my AS: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German and Russian. I had no idea what I wanted to do at the beginning after my GCSE's, and took academic subjects because everybody knows that theres always a job there and had good GCSE results overall. However now approaching results day, I know I screwed up. I did revise, I worked hard, but especially the sciences just knocked me out - didn't help that I hated the subjects throughout the year either. Apart from Russian and Maths I think I did awful, and my predictions are something like ABDDU. Chemistry being the 100% U - the last exam I just gave up on.

However my school won't let me retake! Now my only option is to take languages but I know it's not something I love enough to do for the rest of my life. The real AS subjects I should have taken should be - English lit, Music, German, Russian, and Maths. I know that the best option for me is to retake the year because now I'd at least have an idea of what I want to do at uni. I love music so much but without doing a level, (although have grade 8), won't be able to apply to do music at university. I don't know why I made such a stupid mistake, having taken those subjects I would be fine now, and my grades I'm sure would be much higher. I know I'm capable of much more!

The school said a 'final' no, and I have even tried to contact other colleges explaining my situation but also having received a rejection. I have no idea what to do now and panicking because I know that next year will be a complete disaster.

Thanks for reading all the rambles.....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sonusha88

I'm currently in year 12 and took completely wrong subjects for my AS: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German and Russian. I had no idea what I wanted to do at the beginning after my GCSE's, and took academic subjects because everybody knows that theres always a job there and had good GCSE results overall. However now approaching results day, I know I screwed up. I did revise, I worked hard, but especially the sciences just knocked me out - didn't help that I hated the subjects throughout the year either. Apart from Russian and Maths I think I did awful, and my predictions are something like ABDDU. Chemistry being the 100% U - the last exam I just gave up on.

However my school won't let me retake! Now my only option is to take languages but I know it's not something I love enough to do for the rest of my life. The real AS subjects I should have taken should be - English lit, Music, German, Russian, and Maths. I know that the best option for me is to retake the year because now I'd at least have an idea of what I want to do at uni. I love music so much but without doing a level, (although have grade 8), won't be able to apply to do music at university. I don't know why I made such a stupid mistake, having taken those subjects I would be fine now, and my grades I'm sure would be much higher. I know I'm capable of much more!

The school said a 'final' no, and I have even tried to contact other colleges explaining my situation but also having received a rejection. I have no idea what to do now and panicking because I know that next year will be a complete disaster.

Could you carry on with Russian and Maths and do Music A level in a year? If you have grade 8 this might be doable.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Could you carry on with Russian and Maths and do Music A level in a year? If you have grade 8 this might be doable.

No unfortunately not because I'm doing Russian outside of school, and therefore would have to carry on with German, Maths and Biology. I haven't asked about the music though, may be an option.
Reply 3
I'm in a similar situation and have chose the wrong subjects but your in a better position than me grades wise. Simply drop one of the D's you got in a subject and chemistry and carry on with the other three and it's still very likely you'll get ABC overall which is respectable. If you wanted a forth due to ucas points you could do the EPQ or general studies but this applies to what uni's you want to go to as russel groups wouldn't accpet.
Reply 4
Original post by alexp98
I'm in a similar situation and have chose the wrong subjects but your in a better position than me grades wise. Simply drop one of the D's you got in a subject and chemistry and carry on with the other three and it's still very likely you'll get ABC overall which is respectable. If you wanted a forth due to ucas points you could do the EPQ or general studies but this applies to what uni's you want to go to as russel groups wouldn't accpet.

Yes I would do that by carrying on with Russian, German and Maths but again as I've already explained I don't do the russian in school and therefore I can't just do two A2 levels at my school and would have to carry on with my Biology which I hate! So therefore it's not exactly a better situation, even if my grades are better than yours.
Yes I would do that by carrying on with Russian, German and Maths but again as I've already explained I don't do the russian in school and therefore I can't just do two A2 levels at my school and would have to carry on with my Biology which I hate! So therefore it's not exactly a better situation, even if my grades are better than yours.

will they let you do 2 a2 subjects and then take on a new as subject on top? not sure many schools allow it but you can argue that in some circumstances unis will accept 2 as instead of 1a2 subject.
Does your school give priority to internal students that need to retake? Or have they said no "because the classes are full"?
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
will they let you do 2 a2 subjects and then take on a new as subject on top? not sure many schools allow it but you can argue that in some circumstances unis will accept 2 as instead of 1a2 subject.

Original post by thecatwithnohat
Does your school give priority to internal students that need to retake? Or have they said no "because the classes are full"?

The classes are full they've said - but then other colleges that I've tried to call up have told me that they're not being completely honest due to every year them having students who have for example failed all their exams which leaves them with no option button let them retake the year. And no i've tried to ask about that - for example take english lit up, but they've said again that it means still only 2 A2's (and 1 AS). Just I really think it's unfair that I'm denied the right to retake a year when there are people who (no offence) don't take a levels seriously and don't work at all - I know a person who admits to not doing any work at all for example - and they will be in result allowed to retake!
I still think it's worth asking about Music -
Reply 9
Guess I could I haven't asked about that... I just don't know if I should wait until results day and see what happens
The classes are full they've said - but then other colleges that I've tried to call up have told me that they're not being completely honest due to every year them having students who have for example failed all their exams which leaves them with no option button let them retake the year. And no i've tried to ask about that - for example take english lit up, but they've said again that it means still only 2 A2's (and 1 AS). Just I really think it's unfair that I'm denied the right to retake a year when there are people who (no offence) don't take a levels seriously and don't work at all - I know a person who admits to not doing any work at all for example - and they will be in result allowed to retake!

Yep.that's exactly what's going on , they say that they have no places in classes (especially the ones you've failed in so that you don't have the chance to retake it again). Have you tried negotiating with them to take 3 a levels instead? I know it may not be something that you want to do...but if you convince them that by having three of the subjects you want you'll be able to focus on them a lot more.
Put your foot down and book your own resits in privately at another location

Don't worry- this happens to a lot of people and is often unheard of. What you need to do is talk to someone senior and mention that you are willing to do extra tests to prove that you are worthy of higher grades, maybe even pay for your resits and that it is something you need to do for yourself and your future. Ask other colleges and if they don't admit you full time then go part time- i.e. be a private student and study at home for your exams / resits and only use the college as an exam centre. It's difficult as you are still in Y12 so try to go full time so for A2 you get full support from teachers... go for it and things will work out although they don't seem it yet. A levels ARE hard but NEVER GIVE UP

I was in the exact situation as you were last year. I screwed up badly in my AS year that I got CCDE. My only options were to retake the whole year or do AS resits along with my A2, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to cope so I chose to retake the year. I was searching through all the possible college's and sixth forms in my area, asking them whether they would allow me to retake the year. Luckily one Sixth Form replied back saying that they would consider me, so I completed the application form and gave it to the sixth form. I knew that this was the last chance I had. I got a phone call from the sixth form the day before school starts to come for an interview/talk at 6:00 am the next day. So I went and explained my situation and finally got a place at the sixth form. Don't worry I know exactly what you are going through. I left it too late which made my made summer to be a living hell last year. Just keep emailing as many college's/sixth forms as you can until you get an offer, don't give up! Pm me if you need any advice. Good Luck!
Reply 14
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Yep.that's exactly what's going on , they say that they have no places in classes (especially the ones you've failed in so that you don't have the chance to retake it again). Have you tried negotiating with them to take 3 a levels instead? I know it may not be something that you want to do...but if you convince them that by having three of the subjects you want you'll be able to focus on them a lot more.

No I haven't. I've got the head of sixth form's email because I've had meetings with her and now I'm thinking it will be a good idea to email her and ask about that. Like lets say drop the sciences and take up music a level instead in one year - I'm sure I'll be okay because grade 8.
Reply 15
Original post by neal95
Put your foot down and book your own resits in privately at another location

But how will school go then? Will I have to stay at home and study by myself for the subjects and not attend school for a year? I've never heard that being possible.
Reply 16
Original post by RevisionNad
Don't worry- this happens to a lot of people and is often unheard of. What you need to do is talk to someone senior and mention that you are willing to do extra tests to prove that you are worthy of higher grades, maybe even pay for your resits and that it is something you need to do for yourself and your future. Ask other colleges and if they don't admit you full time then go part time- i.e. be a private student and study at home for your exams / resits and only use the college as an exam centre. It's difficult as you are still in Y12 so try to go full time so for A2 you get full support from teachers... go for it and things will work out although they don't seem it yet. A levels ARE hard but NEVER GIVE UP

Original post by DeadEnd_96
I was in the exact situation as you were last year. I screwed up badly in my AS year that I got CCDE. My only options were to retake the whole year or do AS resits along with my A2, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to cope so I chose to retake the year. I was searching through all the possible college's and sixth forms in my area, asking them whether they would allow me to retake the year. Luckily one Sixth Form replied back saying that they would consider me, so I completed the application form and gave it to the sixth form. I knew that this was the last chance I had. I got a phone call from the sixth form the day before school starts to come for an interview/talk at 6:00 am the next day. So I went and explained my situation and finally got a place at the sixth form. Don't worry I know exactly what you are going through. I left it too late which made my made summer to be a living hell last year. Just keep emailing as many college's/sixth forms as you can until you get an offer, don't give up! Pm me if you need any advice. Good Luck!

Thank you guys so much for your advice! It's nice to know there are people in my situation because at the moment it feels like a complete dead end. It's horrible knowing that this is the best option for me (to retake the year), and having people tell you it's wrong and a waste of time. I will try to search up all the colleges and sixth forms like you said and see what I can do. I had already tried to do so before but I didn't end up contacting them. I am praying like I've never done before that I'll get a place somewhere and a chance to start over.
But how will school go then? Will I have to stay at home and study by myself for the subjects and not attend school for a year? I've never heard that being possible.

taking exams privately will cost white a bit of money, so it's best that you stay at school so they they can take care of your funding.

No I haven't. I've got the head of sixth form's email because I've had meetings with her and now I'm thinking it will be a good idea to email her and ask about that. Like lets say drop the sciences and take up music a level instead in one year - I'm sure I'll be okay because grade 8.

It's good that you try, because from the schools point of view they may feel like 4 a levels are too much for you but if you really want to take an extra AS I suggest that you take 3 AS Levels this year and 1 alongside your A2s if you could handle it.

Retaking your year is never a waste of time as it gives you another chance to attain the best grade that you can and even better opportunity to apply to unis that you wouldn't have been able to apply to before.

PM me if you'd like a bit more help or info, I went through the exact same situation as you (I'm going into year 13 this year, I'm normally meant to be going to university this September haha).
Do A-Level Music in a year, you have a Grade 8 already so you have talent for it, you should be able to cope well with it :smile:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Do A-Level Music in a year, you have a Grade 8 already so you have talent for it, you should be able to cope well with it :smile:

yeah I think that's the best option for you

Quick Reply

Latest