The Student Room Group

Uni yay or nay?

I have received an unconditional place at university for september and everyone seems really amazed and proud. However the truth is I couldn't care less. I'm going to study International business at De Montfort. I'm just sat wondering if the course is worth 4 years of my life (inc sandwich) I understand the need of a degree for certain jobs especially medical professions but is business worth it? I have a couple of ideas i'd like to start once I gather the income to raise passive income and start a business of my own. In short what can studying international business get me in life? Is it worth it? Or should I just do my own thing? My main goal at the moment for my life is to escape the rat race. Starting off with uni debt wouldn't help this either.
Reply 1
Hey friend!

It's interesting to read your post as I see a lot of my former self in you. So, a few years ago I got unconditional places at two respectable uni's, but at the time just felt it wasn't for me. Instead, I launched my own videography business and made investments in Apple Inc. It was a fantastic move as not only did I generate lots of money, I gained exposure directly to the business world.

After doing that for 3 years, I decided that after a little more age and lot more knowledge, that the time was right for a university course. Going forward, having a degree is in my opinion just going to be a 'standard' if you want to achieve a well paid job.

Not just the academic part (which is incredible at Pearson College London), but going to university has been one of the best decisions i've ever made! I've learnt so much more about what it is to look after yourself, and made so many friends. Living at Tufnell Park halls of residence has been one of the funniest years i've ever lived, an experience i'm sure you'd enjoy.

Therefore, I highly recommend it friend, you'll become a more rounded person in ways that extend far beyond the classroom. Or explore self employment first.....brace yourself though! :P
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply! Yeah it seems we are quite similar, I have so many ideas that I think I would rather spend time pursuing and fabricating them instead of going to uni but your experience seems to be quite the opposite of what I was expecting. I might give it a chance for the first year, possibly pursuing my ideas whilst at uni although it would be harder to gain capital being in education.

However I thank you for your reply It honestly gave me things to consider before making this choice. May I ask how your videography company is doing now? Or if your degree landed you a job?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending