The Student Room Group

shall i do ICT or computer science in A level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrincessAnna
I want to do cumputer science but they say, i need an B in maths :frown: and i took the foundation paper (highest is C) i really wanted to do c science

I really think you ought to spell "computer" properly, only because that sounds DODGY as hell. Like you've done it two or three times now!

Original post by yt7777
what are your other options?

Although ICT A level can be regarded soft, i would actually say take both, although modules like business and info systems will be boring, you will get good transferable skills for computer science and software engineering, like databases for example, my friend who did both, when it came to the COMP4 project, it was compulsory to utilise a database in his VB 6.0 program, and he previously had done a database project in ICT so he used that one and based his COMP4 project around what he did in ICT.

he came out with A*AAA (ICT, CS, Electronics, Maths) and now studies Computer Science at uni and has worked as a Software Engineer through an intern ship

another option, would be to do a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT (Software Development) or just IT, thats what i did and I did much more than A level CS and ICT put together, I learnt 2 programming languages, the fundamentals and advanced topics in Software Engineering, i also covered HCI, Networks, Systems Security, Computer Architecture and also did some low level programming which is taught on most CS degree courses. i am now a 2nd year Computer Science student at uni

If OP wants to be a software engineer, he (or she) could well take a "proper" course in college, at level 3 tbh! It will stop him from getting access to the "top" unis, but imo, the "top unis" for programming, networks and the like aren't as good as the ex polys. Certainly it's harder for a grad from Oxford uni to "break in" to networks than it is from various ex polys...
Reply 21
The curriculum for IT is crap. If you want something useful go computer science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Internet
I really think you ought to spell "computer" properly, only because that sounds DODGY as hell. Like you've done it two or three times now!

omg am sooo used it erghh. Computer Computer Computer Computer Computer Computer Computer Computer
Reply 23

If OP wants to be a software engineer, he (or she) could well take a "proper" course in college, at level 3 tbh! It will stop him from getting access to the "top" unis, but imo, the "top unis" for programming, networks and the like aren't as good as the ex polys. Certainly it's harder for a grad from Oxford uni to "break in" to networks than it is from various ex polys...

So are you saying the BTEC isnt a "proper" course or A level ICT isnt?
I did A level I.T and I found it boring tbh
Original post by jakirul
Hi shall i do ICT or computer science in A level? I've messaged a uni and they said for the course i want to do requires either ict or computer science. So in A level shall i do ict or computer science?

I've heard computer science is more respected. ICT is seen as a 'softer' subject by universities such as Cambridge etc. Not to say that it is any easier to get higher grades but thats the general conception. Computer science you'd be doing more coding, whereas with ICT you'd do more theoretical topics such as communications, data storage, the list goes on...
Original post by yt7777
So are you saying the BTEC isnt a "proper" course or A level ICT isnt?

I'm saying A level ICT isn't

A BTEC however is. I'm not a software person. I'm a networks person. I did a BTEC, I did my placement at a company which is the 2nd largest company in the industry it's in and employs some 75K people worldwide and I now work at a large ISP (That you probably won't have heard of as they typically serve businesses)

I have a friend who went to an ex poly uni as a software person, and she's working at a large energy company on her placement year.
Reply 27
Original post by Conor Walsh
I've heard computer science is more respected. ICT is seen as a 'softer' subject by universities such as Cambridge etc. Not to say that it is any easier to get higher grades but thats the general conception. Computer science you'd be doing more coding, whereas with ICT you'd do more theoretical topics such as communications, data storage, the list goes on...

For university, I was considering doing software engineering rather than computer science. I can still do computer science in college and do software engineering. But i have one question. What's the difference between software engineering and computer science?
Reply 28
I'm saying A level ICT isn't

A BTEC however is. I'm not a software person. I'm a networks person. I did a BTEC, I did my placement at a company which is the 2nd largest company in the industry it's in and employs some 75K people worldwide and I now work at a large ISP (That you probably won't have heard of as they typically serve businesses)

I have a friend who went to an ex poly uni as a software person, and she's working at a large energy company on her placement year.

Ah right, i do agree with you that ICT is relatively soft, however probably more beneficial than the Ops other choices (Business & Econ)

Nice, the BTEC is far superior, if you've come across any of my other posts you'll know im quite passionate about that, would you not recommend the OP does a BTEC in IT with Software Dev. pathway, I think that is much more appropriate content wise for a prospective Software Engineer
Do computer science for sure, especially if you want to study it at degree level.
Original post by yt7777
Ah right, i do agree with you that ICT is relatively soft, however probably more beneficial than the Ops other choices (Business & Econ)

Nice, the BTEC is far superior, if you've come across any of my other posts you'll know im quite passionate about that, would you not recommend the OP does a BTEC in IT with Software Dev. pathway, I think that is much more appropriate content wise for a prospective Software Engineer

Sure. A proper BTEC course would give you a better ground knowledge before uni, however you should also bear in mind that it will largely stop you going to the "top" unis (Where the "top" unis won't even get you in to the "top" jobs... ) And yeah IT is deinitely better than business & econ, however imo, if he's going to A Levels, he should choose these three:

Comp Sci
Maths (If he can actually hack A level maths!!)
Physics

For a college course, just do the BTEC, go to a GOOD ex poly, and join the rest of us! :smile: (Well not me per se, but the IT industry as a whole as I doubt I'll see many software people!!)
Original post by jakirul
For university, I was considering doing software engineering rather than computer science. I can still do computer science in college and do software engineering. But i have one question. What's the difference between software engineering and computer science?

Fair enough... Best to google it aha :tongue:
Original post by jakirul
Hi shall i do ICT or computer science in A level? I've messaged a uni and they said for the course i want to do requires either ict or computer science. So in A level shall i do ict or computer science?

Computer Science 100%, but then again I'm biased 'cause I wish to study Computer Science at uni. :tongue:

Depends on what you want to do. I'm assuming since either ICT or Computer Science is a uni requirement for the course you want to do it's an IT course. In that case, Computer Science.

Computer Science teaches you programming and more detailed/harder hardware knowledge. Whereas ICT A-Level just teaches you the bare basics of general office ICT, e.g. using Excel and Spreadsheets. Whichever appeals to you more, do.

Though do note: Computer Science is a facilitating scientific study of computers and programming. ICT however, is just 'how to use computers' and basic IT skills for the workplace. It's considered easy and not facilitating by universities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by PrincessAnna
I want to do cumputer science but they say, i need an B in maths :frown: and i took the foundation paper (highest is C) i really wanted to do c science

For your situation I'd recommend you to do the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT and software development. If at all possible, resit the maths paper on higher tier whilst you're on the first year of your BTEC. I've learnt so much more on the BTEC course than what I would have learnt if I did A level computing. Trust me, everything you've learnt in the BTEC diploma will help you during the time you're completing your degree. Even if you still can't get a C in maths, there are courses offered by some universities that are specifically titled 'Computing' (and not Computer Science) - these courses only require GCSE maths at grade C. Never lose hope :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by k4jjoo
For your situation I'd recommend you to do the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT and software development. If at all possible, resit the maths paper on higher tier whilst you're on the first year of your BTEC. I've learnt so much more on the BTEC course than what I would have learnt if I did A level computing. Trust me, everything you've learnt in the BTEC diploma will help you during the time you're completing your degree. Even if you still can't get a C in maths, there are courses offered by some universities that are specifically titled 'Computing' (and not Computer Science) - these courses only require GCSE maths at grade C. Never lose hope :smile:

You just read my mind :P thats exactly what i was doing :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest