The Student Room Group

Help with alevel choices

So I have so far chosen 3 subjects to take at college:

Maths
Biology
Geography

(Although these aren't set in stone)
For my final option I am deciding between chemistry and Spanish. Which would you advise to do? Or should I change one of the other 3 choices?

Ps. I have no idea what I want to do at uni
Original post by kirsty123456

Maths
Biology
Geography

For my final option I am deciding between chemistry and Spanish. Which would you advise to do? Or should I change one of the other 3 choices?

Chemistry would go well with maths and biology and means you could do a sciency subject at uni. However, if you wanted to do an MFL or humanity subject then Spanish could be the better option.
Why not wait to see what your chemistry and spanish gcse results are and make the decision on that?
Original post by claireestelle
Chemistry would go well with maths and biology and means you could do a sciency subject at uni. However, if you wanted to do an MFL or humanity subject then Spanish could be the better option.
Why not wait to see what your chemistry and spanish gcse results are and make the decision on that?

Thanks for the help, the problem is I have no idea which kind of route to go down at uni. GCSE results will definitely be a big factor
Thanks for the help, the problem is I have no idea which kind of route to go down at uni. GCSE results will definitely be a big factor

glad i could help:smile: Wait on your results and it should be much easier to make a decision, your welcome to drop me a pm once you ve got your results if you ever need more help then:smile:

Maths
Biology
Geography

Personally I think chemistry opens you up to a variety of degree pathways such as medicine, dentistry, chemical and bio engineering , chemistry ( of course) the life sciences etc whilst Spanish limits you to just one degree which is Spanish or modern foreign languages. Also maths and biology complement chemistry well so your modules for each of your subjects will be made easier as you are covering topics more than once. (that's been my experience anyway)

At the end of the day it's really up to you. Good luck deciding!! :h:

Maths
Biology
Geography

Definitely, definitely chemistry (no bias here! :tongue:).

Opens up so many more doors. Then you have a fantastic set of A-levels!
You are 16 and at the most important time of your life - starting your career.

If you have a dream about what you want to do with your life then now is the time to put it into action.

Start with what is important to you.

Maybe you want to help people and you could become a doctor by studying medicine and go work in the middle east with the british army or have a practice in a small english village.

For medicine you would need: biology, chemistry, mathematics, psychology.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could be interested in the future of technology and you could think about robots and self-driving cars and perhaps work in defence making drones. King's College Robotics

[video="youtube;M8YjvHYbZ9w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YjvHYbZ9w[/video]

For robotics you would need: computing, mathematics, physics.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Working for the local government/council - you would need: economics, government and politics, history, geography. You could do something more higher such as town planning

Choosing your a-level subjects can be the time to be really clever with choosing unique subjects if you wanted to get into a certain course to get onto a certain career.

So what is it that your thinking/dreaming/visioning of for your career?

Quick Reply

Latest