The Student Room Group

Would it be possible to take Science A levels as an external candidate 2017/2018?

(including practicals)

Physics and Biology to be specific. I know that it is currently possible, however I have been told that the examinations are changing in 2017.
Reply 1
In the new qualifications there are no practical exams (all exams are now written exams). However, I think there are compulsory non-assessed practicals that have to be done throughout the course (?). If you could get a school to let you participate in those practicals, then the awarding body would probably allow you to sit the final examinations as a private candidate.

AQA has nothing to say about whether it is possible or not in the new specifications, just some general text about private candidates:
AQA
5.8 Private candidates
A private candidate is someone who enters for exams through an AQA-approved school or college but
is not enrolled as a student there.
If you are a private candidate you may be self-taught, home-schooled or have private tuition, either with
a tutor or through a distance learning organisation. You must be based in the UK.
If you have any queries as a private candidate, you can:
โ€ข speak to the exams officer at the school or college where you intend to take your exams
โ€ข visit our website at aqa.org.uk/examsadmin
โ€ข email: [email protected]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by llys
In the new qualifications there are no practical exams (all exams are now written exams). However, I think there are compulsory non-assessed practicals that have to be done throughout the course (?). If you could get a school to let you participate in those practicals, then the awarding body would probably allow you to sit the final examinations as a private candidate.

AQA has nothing to say about whether it is possible or not in the new specifications, just some general text about private candidates:

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any information on how I should do this? I'm very concerned.
Reply 3
Original post by Venusian
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any information on how I should do this? I'm very concerned.

At the moment there are a very few centres that will accept private candidates for the practical exams. Those that do often offer a package that involves some training and then the practical. This doesn't come cheap. I expect that some centres and/or some distance learning providers will also offer the ability to take the 12 practicals as an external but I expect it will be very expensive - e.g.>ยฃ1000 does not seem unlikely. The only way to find out who will let you do this is to contact the likely providers and ask them.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
At the moment there are a very few centres that will accept private candidates for the practical exams. Those that do often offer a package that involves some training and then the practical. This doesn't come cheap. I expect that some centres and/or some distance learning providers will also offer the ability to take the 12 practicals as an external but I expect it will be very expensive - e.g.>ยฃ1000 does not seem unlikely. The only way to find out who will let you do this is to contact the likely providers and ask them.

I'm considering an exam centre in Bristol, they are quite expensive http://www.3at.org.uk/

The information I have obtained about them regard the old A Levels.
Old A Levels of course had 2 practicals over AS and A at I believe ยฃ250 each.
Therefore the practicals would cost ยฃ500 per a level, though I would be paying more fees for the paper units(I've been quoted ยฃ70 per unit)

I didn't think that this was unreasonable, however as I've mentioned they are regarding the old A levels.

I can't find much information at all regarding the new ones, I could definitely not pay for 12 practicals at ยฃ250 each.

Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Very interested in your question here, i was thinking along the same lines through distance learning, will be following to see what anyone else has to say.
Reply 6
Original post by sjmmm
Very interested in your question here, i was thinking along the same lines through distance learning, will be following to see what anyone else has to say.

If I receive any further information, I will forward it on to you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest