The Student Room Group

How to take Science A levels as an external candidate post-2017?

Due to the A level reforms, I've heard that it will become (even more) difficult to sit A levels as an external candidate, and "near impossible" to sit Science A levels.

Is this true, if so, why?

I'm *hoping* to take Physics and Biology. I'm aware that this could be quite expensive. I'm quite worried about the practical exams, as I haven't had much lab experience. I'm also concerned about submitting coursework.

If anybody could explain this to me in reasonable depth, I would be very grateful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Venusian
Due to the A level reforms, I've heard that it will become (even more) difficult to sit A levels as an external candidate, and "near impossible" to sit Science A levels.

Is this true, if so, why?

I'm *hoping* to take Physics and Biology. I'm aware that this could be quite expensive. I'm quite worried about the practical exams, as I haven't had much lab experience. I'm also concerned about submitting coursework.

If anybody could explain this to me in reasonable depth, I would be very grateful.

The new Science A levels do not contain coursework or practical exams, but you do have to have undertaken 12 specified experiments over the course of the A levels. These will be pass/fail but will not otherwise contribute to the overall grade. The generic details of this are explained here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/377915/2014-04-08-an-update-on-the-reforms-being-made-to-as-qualifications-and-a-levels__2_.pdf (p10-12) I do not know how these will be achieved by private candidates..

Quick Reply

Latest