The Student Room Group

Are there any popular software out there that trains mental arithmetic rigorously?

Need to improve my mental arithmetic

Posted from TSR Mobile
By most people's standards it's already very good but I need to surpass those international students from Asia at mental arithmetic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Software called a calculator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Just do a load of long division and column sums. Perhaps try timing yourself.
Reply 4
Had such software at junior school - many, many years ago. Fairly sure it exists now. Could probably write the software yourself.

Bit of a tangent - but generally we are in the age of the internet now and using our brains less the way we used to do. We are developing a `different' type of intelligence where we know where to find things but dont know how to do them `off the top of our heads'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PVonShroeder
By most people's standards it's already very good but I need to surpass those international students from Asia at mental arithmetic

Posted from TSR Mobile

One does not simply surpass the Asians :tongue:
Reply 6
There is countdown...are here is internet version:

http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/countdown/

Unfortunately it does not include a Rachel Riley (answer).
(edited 8 years ago)
Step 1) Get yourself an abacus (soroban would be my suggestion, but if you prefer a different style, go for it).
Step 2) Learn to use said abacus.
Step 3) Learn anzan (basically doing maths on an imaginary abacus - you can practice here: http://www.sorobanexam.org/anzan.html).
Step 4) Have mental arithmetic abilities that go way beyond anything you'll get from most other methods (vertical-crosswise is marginally faster for some very large multiplications, but other than that, anzan's where it's at).
Original post by Gome44

*a single individual just does not have the ability to have a superior mental arithmetical knowledge to that of those from the south Asian continent.

God, if you're saying you're asian, at least write like one m9
Reply 9
Original post by tazza ma razza
*a single individual just does not have the ability to have a superior mental arithmetical knowledge to that of those from the south Asian continent.

gosh ... that was you 911 post!
Reply 10
Original post by tazza ma razza

*A...

I'm off to spam your facebook with thumbs now brb
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Gome44

PRSOM..this made me chuckle :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest