The Student Room Group

Fixing Benefits Britain

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
Yet contraception is free,sex ed is compulsory, and abortions are free and legal ergo there is no excuse besides idiocy for accidentally having a kid.

Contraception is not a 100% guarantee. Sex education is does not make contraception 100% infallible. And abortions should not be used as a birth control method. Abortions are an entirely different subject.

''There's no excuse'' is not realistic. It's idealistic. The fact simply remains that a lot of women become accidentally pregnant and then decide that actually they would quite like to have a kid, usually because of the bond they develop with the kid while they are pregnant with it. At least, this is what I understand from the women in my life.

To brand all women that accidentally get pregnant and decide to have the child as ''idiots'' is ignorant.

A good few dozen - far too many for my likings.

The point I was making was - even if you knew a few hundred, it would still not be a scientific or logical representation of the landscape. There are millions of people on benefits. And you think you can represent them by citing the situations of a few dozen? Even if you knew a few hundred, it would still only be a tiny fraction of a percentage of the whole story.

Remove alcohol and drug consumption in the UK is insanely high, especially among the lower classes. in London a metric ****ton of people who let the govt pay for their rent somehow manage to find a way to pay for facefulls of coke.

Well, people have always done, and will always do, drugs. It's a human indulgence, always has been, always will be.

How do you know how many people do coke in London? And how do you know how many of them are on benefits? Do you have a job at some kind of strange market research company or something?

In parts of the South. Go 40 mins out from Birmingham or Manchester and rent is almost nonexistent. Though I do think the govt should have a relocation scheme and move people out of dead areas.

Well if parts of the South is where people are from, then it's parts of the South that we're talking about. Also, what's the work like and what's the pay like in Birmingham and Manchester? Because if it's low, then that rather kills the point of people relocating there.

Or are you suggesting that some poor sod on benefits with no real prospects apart from sky TV and the odd gram of ''coke'' which is 99% baby laxative and 1% coke should be shunted off to a strange city away from their families, friends, and support networks? I can't imagine that'll do much to encourage them back to, or equip them for, work. Probably the opposite, as they sink into depression and compound their situation.
Original post by Cadherin
I wasn't - I quoted your quote of someone else.

But that is beside the point really - I don't think they all live comfortably. Rightly so. Try working and, perhaps, you may live more comfortably!

I meant you as in generally, like "one" or "on" in french
Before I deal with the hypocrisy in your response, I will first deal with the fact related to your misinterpretation of my response. I was merely suggesting that perhaps she could try a little harder to gain employment. If you actually took the time to bother to look at her previous response, you would miraculously discern that she dislikes claiming benefits. Therefore, I suggested that perhaps she should put herself out and try and get a job - she could potentially feel so much better for having a job, less isolated and more integrated into the community. THIS is what will allow people with mental health disorders to be better integrated into society and this will result in less discrimination against them and is working towards the result I want to achieve of as close as possible to full employment. I would call this 'humanity' (using the ambiguous term you decided to use), wouldn't you? The reason mental health services are in such a state is because there is a lack of incentive for integration.

Referring to people such as myself who want as many people to take up work, if not only for their own personal development, as a 'pox' on this country is rather incorrect and not inoffensive by any means, is it? The sheer hypocrisy in your response is frankly unbelievable. I will not do the same, however, and will 'cheer up immensely' (to quote Thatcher) as you clearly have not a single political argument, or even overall rhetoric, left.

I think the shame is on you for misinterpreting the nature of a comment and starting to make personal remarks based on very little evidence or knowledge of the subject. Disability may be closer to me than you may think - one of my relatives (a very close one at that) is severely disabled, and we have always pushed him to gain employment and go to a mainstream school when he was younger. Let me tell you, this has had an enormously positive impact on him and his personal development, to live with other members of the community.

I will not assume whether you have this experience as I happen to have, but, either way, I think you should perhaps think a little more deeply before you give me such an unsupported, absurd response to suggesting that people who are mentally ill, and physically ill to the greatest extent possible, should have a job, be it one in charity or mainstream, paid employment. It is, in my experience, further debilitating psychologically if this is not the case.

No Sir, no one has misinterpreted your posts and for you to suggest it is an attempt to bend the truth which if I may so is rather spineless and cowardly of you. What you did is continue to badger her even after she showed her distress which is very clear in this exchange:

You are fallaciously attempting to compare two entirely different things - in the private (and public) sector, people offer a service or good valuable to that market and they are rightly remunerated for it because they offer a competitive service.

You are being paid just for existing!

Original post by SmallTownGirl

Ok, so I need MORE stigma. I already know there are lots of people that would consider me a 'scrounger' and say that my illnesses aren't real. Christ I beat myself up enough about claiming benefits but when I only leave the house to buy food and spend all day in bed surrounded by a growing pile of rubbish, I don't have a choice.

Perhaps if you tried putting yourself out, and even merely attempting to gain employment, you wouldn't feel this way.

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Oh my God, you're so right, a job would remove all my problems.

Seriously, **** right off.

Perhaps it would. You seem very defensive - is this the reason you stated on your claimant form as to why you cannot get a job?

There is NOTHING altruistic in that exchange and even if their was you are NOT a medical professional and you know NOTHING of her needs, to suggest that a disabled person just needs to try harder to get some employment is as naive as it is banal and irrelevant since you know nothing about her. So you are now lying and trying to put yourself in a better light by claiming I misunderstood? As I said before utterly cowardly and spineless, have the conviction to stand by what you wrote, people aren;t stupid it's right there in black and white.

You come across as someone who has had a privileged life and a strong education that lets you pick up jobs like a dog picks up fleas.

Your ignorance and lack of human compassion is breath taking. What you need is some real life experience and I hope that one day you have a life shattering, profound financial or health crisis that brings you to your knees and leaves YOU at the mercy of our benefits system, then maybe you would understand something of what it is you are trying to speak about. Who knows what will be left of the system by then but until such a thing happens you are frankly embarrassing yourself with your ignorance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by eskimo_rising
No Sir, no one has misinterpreted your posts and for you to suggest is an attempt to bend the truth which if I may so is rather spineless and cowardly of you. What you did is continue to badger her even after she showed her distress which is very clear in this exchange:

There is NOTHING altruistic in that exchange and even if their was you are NOT a medical professional and you know NOTHING of her needs,to suggest that a disabled person just needs to try harder to get some employment is as naive as it is banal and irrelevant since you know nothing about her. So you are now lying and trying to put yourself in a better light by claiming I misunderstood? As I said before utterly cowardly and spineless, have the conviction to stand by what you wrote, people aren;t stupid it's right there in black and white.

You come across as someone who has had a privileged life and a strong education that lets you pick up jobs like a dog picks up fleas.

Your ignorance and lack of human compassion is breath taking. What you need is some real life experience and I hope that one day you have a life shattering, profound financial or health crisis that brings you to your knees and leaves YOU at the mercy of our benefits system, then maybe you would understand something of what it is you are trying to speak about. Who knows what will be left of the system by then but until such a thing happens you are frankly embarrassing yourself with your ignorance.

On the subject of it, someone sounds a little jealous of (and evidently requires) a good education, don't you think? You're certainly sore about something - that if nothing else.:biggrin:

I would hardly compare 'picking up a job' to 'picking up fleas' - a job gives someone financial security and allows them a route out of poverty. The audacity you have to begin berating me without even forming a constructive argument when I was suggesting how a job could improve someone's quality of life is quite shocking.

The person in question is physically able to go into employment, so why shouldn't she? I stand by the comments I made as they speak the truth. The truth that so many leftists are afraid to speak about. Seeing as you attempted to take some of my comments out of context, the flaw in her argument that I pointed out was that she is comparing the welfare state to the private sector. A service or good is offered in demand by a certain market in the private sector and is remunerated. The welfare state pays people for existing - this is true, is it not?

The 'defensive' comment is also accurate - her tone on the comment telling me to 'f*** right off' seemed somewhat defensive, so I decided to try and make the reply a little more lighthearted, which obviously didn't work as well as I had surmised.

Anyway, the point still stands that everyone is better off in employment in some form. Not least because it improves their quality of life, but reduces the burden on the taxpayer.
On the subject of it, someone sounds a little jealous of (and evidently requires) a good education, don't you think? You're certainly sore about something - that if nothing else.:biggrin:

I would hardly compare 'picking up a job' to 'picking up fleas' - a job gives someone financial security and allows them a route out of poverty. The audacity you have to begin berating me without even forming a constructive argument when I was suggesting how a job could improve someone's quality of life is quite shocking.

The person in question is physically able to go into employment, so why shouldn't she? I stand by the comments I made as they speak the truth. The truth that so many leftists are afraid to speak about. Seeing as you attempted to take some of my comments out of context, the flaw in her argument that I pointed out was that she is comparing the welfare state to the private sector. A service or good is offered in demand by a certain market in the private sector and is remunerated. The welfare state pays people for existing - this is true, is it not?

The 'defensive' comment is also accurate - her tone on the comment telling me to 'f*** right off' seemed somewhat defensive, so I decided to try and make the reply a little more lighthearted, which obviously didn't work as well as I had surmised.

Anyway, the point still stands that everyone is better off in employment in some form. Not least because it improves their quality of life, but reduces the burden on the taxpayer.

And by doing so you make it clear to everyone your complete disregard, naivety and ignorance of mental health issues.

If you want to 'fix' the benefits system then you start with bringing the schools and services up to an equal and fair standard of quality instead of the horrendous mess of a postcode lottery that currently exists.

But again this is something I'm not aware of you mentioning as you sit on your little cloud of privilege, no doubt because you have not had to use any of these services, perhaps if you had run the gauntlet of the schools lottery and had no choice where you were placed you wouldn't believe that jobs grow on trees and are there for everyone that needs them.

Once again your lack of real life experience shows your complete disregard, naivety and ignorance of real world social issues.

What you are proposing is an American system, a system built for the rich and privileged which you no doubt you are a part of, which begs the question why doesn't such an upwardly mobile gentleman such as yourself move to America? It's tailor made for you.

Either way your posts, which are here for everyone to read, and your defense of them have shown you up for an ignorant, naive and small minded individual who has very little understanding of what he speaks about and frankly I hope they conclude as I have that you have very little to contribute and are not worth the time.
(edited 8 years ago)
On the subject of it, someone sounds a little jealous of (and evidently requires) a good education, don't you think?

Really? The jelly belly card? Come on, we're not 10 years old.

a job gives someone financial security

No it does not. It gives one money for the duration of the job. If you are suddenly made redundant, it wasn't that secure was it?

and allows them a route out of poverty.

This assumes that the pay is high enough compared to the outgoings of the individual.

Your picture that you paint of employment is indeed a rosy one, and it is how it should be. But unfortunately it's not like that. There is not necessarily financial security and a route out of poverty to be had with employment. It's a case-by-case thing. To suggest otherwise is rather idealistic IMHO.

The person in question is physically able to go into employment, so why shouldn't she?

Well for a start they could be mentally incapacitated. People aren't machines. In fact I suspect mental incapacitation is a more common factor than physical incapacitation, but that would only be a guess.

Again, an idealistic view of employment. Go down the factory and pack biscuits in groups of ten for 9 hours a day then after six months tell me that's improving your quality of life. Or work in an office an get psychologically bullied by your boss for a year, break down and tell us your life has improved.

Now, in essence I agree with your enthusiasm and even your ideals, but I'm arguing that the reality is a long way from that, and that's what we should be addressing if we want to get people off benefits.
Original post by frankieboy
Really? The jelly belly card? Come on, we're not 10 years old.

No it does not. It gives one money for the duration of the job. If you are suddenly made redundant, it wasn't that secure was it?

This assumes that the pay is high enough compared to the outgoings of the individual.

Your picture that you paint of employment is indeed a rosy one, and it is how it should be. But unfortunately it's not like that. There is not necessarily financial security and a route out of poverty to be had with employment. It's a case-by-case thing. To suggest otherwise is rather idealistic IMHO.

Well for a start they could be mentally incapacitated. People aren't machines. In fact I suspect mental incapacitation is a more common factor than physical incapacitation, but that would only be a guess.

Again, an idealistic view of employment. Go down the factory and pack biscuits in groups of ten for 9 hours a day then after six months tell me that's improving your quality of life. Or work in an office an get psychologically bullied by your boss for a year, break down and tell us your life has improved.

Now, in essence I agree with your enthusiasm and even your ideals, but I'm arguing that the reality is a long way from that, and that's what we should be addressing if we want to get people off benefits.

I agree - though I don't think we're a long way off idealistic employment. If we forced people off of JSA and out-of-work benefits, it would force them into employment. Everyone goes through ups and downs in employment - horrible bosses, bored out of your skull, etc. and few whinge about it - but that is part of life is it not? Although this may vary in the short term, in the long term, surely people's quality of life will improve through career progression?

You know nothing about mental illness, do you? I've got quite severe OCD and I've got a learning disability. Both of which make getting a job impossible. How can you expect someone to get a job if they're so mentally ill that things like eating, getting dressed, getting up, etc are impossible?

Employment doesn't always improve someone's quality of life. Unless you can find me a job where I don't have to interact with anyone, I can work when I can, there will be minimal noise, etc? I had to leave my last volunteering role because of the noise and because I was finding that tasks you lot take for granted were becoming impossible.
Original post by OU Student
You know nothing about mental illness, do you? I've got quite severe OCD and I've got a learning disability. Both of which make getting a job impossible. How can you expect someone to get a job if they're so mentally ill that things like eating, getting dressed, getting up, etc are impossible?

Employment doesn't always improve someone's quality of life. Unless you can find me a job where I don't have to interact with anyone, I can work when I can, there will be minimal noise, etc? I had to leave my last volunteering role because of the noise and because I was finding that tasks you lot take for granted were becoming impossible.

Your wasting your time this is a man who on page 5 of the thread used the term 'borderline mentally deficient.' He doesn't know anything about what he's talking about in this thread.

It's pretty evident he is part of the silver spoon brigade where jobs grow on trees and the 'mentally deficient' just need to snap out of it. It's a wonder no ones reported him, it's one of the most disgusting things regarding mental health i've read on here.
Original post by frankieboy
Contraception is not a 100% guarantee. Sex education is does not make contraception 100% infallible. And abortions should not be used as a birth control method. Abortions are an entirely different subject.

''There's no excuse'' is not realistic. It's idealistic. The fact simply remains that a lot of women become accidentally pregnant and then decide that actually they would quite like to have a kid, usually because of the bond they develop with the kid while they are pregnant with it. At least, this is what I understand from the women in my life.

To brand all women that accidentally get pregnant and decide to have the child as ''idiots'' is ignorant.

If a couple are not able to control when they conceive a child then I say they are not fit to be parents. And abortion is there as a backup (that's a fact, not a debating point). I know many women who just have a kid because they are bored and they know the benefit state will look after them. Remove those benefits and their actions would change.

The point I was making was - even if you knew a few hundred, it would still not be a scientific or logical representation of the landscape. There are millions of people on benefits. And you think you can represent them by citing the situations of a few dozen? Even if you knew a few hundred, it would still only be a tiny fraction of a percentage of the whole story.

It doesn't matter, we are all using anecdotal evidence. Unless someone pulls up figures we just have to accept people's experiences.
However please be my guest and bring stats to the table because I suspect I could find a lot to back up my argument if I need to.

Well, people have always done, and will always do, drugs. It's a human indulgence, always has been, always will be.

How do you know how many people do coke in London? And how do you know how many of them are on benefits? Do you have a job at some kind of strange market research company or something?

Not saying people don't, just saying that certain groups do it more than others.

http://www.drugscope.org.uk/resources/faqs/faqpages/is-drug-use-mainly-in-deprived-areas
I use common sense. You really would have to warp reality to not realise deprived areas tend to have drug problems.

Well if parts of the South is where people are from, then it's parts of the South that we're talking about. Also, what's the work like and what's the pay like in Birmingham and Manchester? Because if it's low, then that rather kills the point of people relocating there.

Or are you suggesting that some poor sod on benefits with no real prospects apart from sky TV and the odd gram of ''coke'' which is 99% baby laxative and 1% coke should be shunted off to a strange city away from their families, friends, and support networks? I can't imagine that'll do much to encourage them back to, or equip them for, work. Probably the opposite, as they sink into depression and compound their situation.

Firstly, a job is a job so these beggars can't really say no, and the lower pay is balanced out by much cheaper rent and cheaper services.
Yup - that guy should be booted away as clearly his "support" network is failing miserably if he is only watching TV and snorting lines. Hell, if you know these people then you would also know that they tend to lead each other down crappy paths. Maybe a change would be good for them.
Depressed? I think most already are, hence why they drink themselves into oblivion or do anything to help them forget about their ****ty lives (Yes, I've overheard people saying this to each other). Again, it's just common sense. These people need help in the forms of a job and a future, not in state handouts that fuel them to stay in limbo until they die.
Original post by Davij038
http://www.newser.com/story/210505/desperate-to-read-boy-asks-mailman-for-junk-mail.html

Look at this! people in bad circumstances can take the imitative and not be a victim! Its not societies place to incentivise individuals to not turn into slabs of lard , it should just not support them in doing so. They're not going to die, they will lose weight and then be eligible for higher benefits again in a worst case scenario!

So Ive been brainwashed? Of course I have! EVERYONE has been influenced by forces beyond their control- as you didnt invent socialism youre just as susceptible to claims of brainwashing as I am, the only difference is in this country my 'brainwashing' is more dominant than yours!

What on earth are you talking about? If a car randomly blew up the company would get sued to hell and be at a loss.

No, theyre not.

Better than no logic at all. So, in your opinion people that are exercising and eating healthily are being unhealthy?

A lack of contraception, female empowerment and sex education. Arguably in some cases child labour laws functioned as some sort of child benefit in that they earnt their parents money too.

Thats how you deal with your problems, acknowledge them and try to better yourself, not going baaaww i'd be so happy if it wasnt for those bankers!

Well thats just nonsense.

Most tories including myself think that there should be some sort of safety net.

As for most of your general argument that we can be more moral by giving the government more money to hand out:

I believe in people choosing whatever they want to do. I just accept that people will be limited in what they can do if they adhere to your principle philosophy. Rich people told you to be responsible for yourself. Keep what you own etc etc when they are the freest people in society and obtained their wealth illegitimately. Also, these people work together to maintain their position because they understand if they did what they told you to do they would become poor, which is not in their self interest. As an individual, it is beneficial for them to work together. Pool their money. Consult each other. While you work your arse off for an insignificant piece of the pie.

Also don't spout your default replies to someone on the left to me. If you don't want government, just say so. In fact, I want the Tories to do what they really want to do. People will then see which side of the class divide they are on. This is why the Tories don't do it lol. They will reveal their hand.

Don't help people mate. If you really believe what you say. Don't even help you family members. Leave them to it.
Original post by saayagain

I believe in people choosing whatever they want to do. I just accept that people will be limited in what they can do if they adhere to Socialist philosophy. Socialists told you to be irresponsible for yourself. Give away what you own etc etc when we are the freest people in society and obtained all our wealth thanks to being a succesful western capitalist nation. Also, these Socialists work together to maintain their position because they understand if they did what they told you to do they would become poor, which is not in their self interest. As an individual, it is beneficial for them to work together. Pool their money. Consult each other. While you work your arse off for a piece of the pie.

Also don't spout your default replies to someone on the right to me. If you don't want property just say so. In fact, I want the Socialists to do what they really want to do. People will then see which side of the class divide they are on. This is why the Socualists don't do it lol. They will reveal their hand.

Don't have anything mate. If you really believe what you say. Don't even give to your family members. Leave them to it.
Original post by Davij038
I believe in people choosing whatever they want to do. I just accept that people will be limited in what they can do if they adhere to Socialist philosophy. Socialists told you to be irresponsible for yourself. Give away what you own etc etc when we are the freest people in society and obtained all our wealth thanks to being a succesful western capitalist nation. Also, these Socialists work together to maintain their position because they understand if they did what they told you to do they would become poor, which is not in their self interest. As an individual, it is beneficial for them to work together. Pool their money. Consult each other. While you work your arse off for a piece of the pie.

Also don't spout your default replies to someone on the right to me. If you don't want property just say so. In fact, I want the Socialists to do what they really want to do. People will then see which side of the class divide they are on. This is why the Socualists don't do it lol. They will reveal their hand.

Don't have anything mate. If you really believe what you say. Don't even give to your family members. Leave them to it.

You're a biased simpleton zombie. You believe Tory rhetoric because of your past experiences. You're trapped. You can't ever be freed. lol you can't be unplugged from the Matrix. You mind is too inured to the way things are. To remove you from the Matrix would be catastrophic for your mind. You'll turn into a coke head and live a life of despair, if you are not doing so already.

You are an individualist therefore your analysis of the world is incomplete.

We are all in this together. To deny that is to deny reality. The disingenuous analysis Tories and co give for the ills of society is deceitful.

You're gonna marry a lady, have kids, get divorced because she doesn't take responsibility for her actions, your kids will resent you for treating them like an enemy, when you die your kids will fight over your assets which will result in a split in the family. Well done
Original post by saayagain
You're a biased simpleton zombie. You believe Tory rhetoric because of your past experiences. You're trapped. You can't ever be freed. lol you can't be unplugged from the Matrix. You mind is too inured to the way things are. To remove you from the Matrix would be catastrophic for your mind. You'll turn into a coke head and live a life of despair, if you are not doing so already.

I've been told that I'm a brainwashed zombie by two other tsr users both of whom have told me that evil socialist Jews are running the country, but which is the real truth? Better go double or nothing and go all out National Socialist huh!

I believe Tory rhetoric because of my past experiences? Uh, yes. What should I base it on Transcendental Meditation?

You are an individualist therefore your analysis of the world is incomplete.

No I'm looking at it from the first point of analysis. If we cant look after ourselves how can we look after our family? If our family isnt cared for how can we improve society?

We are all in this together. To deny that is to deny reality. The disingenuous analysis Tories and co give for the ills of society is deceitful.

You're gonna marry a lady, have kids, get divorced because she doesn't take responsibility for her actions, your kids will resent you for treating them like an enemy, when you die your kids will fight over your assets which will result in a split in the family. Well done

Amazing, so not only have you managed to resist evil brainwashing that me and so many other plebs have fallen to, but you can also predict the future. I am utterly awestruck by your superiority, I merely ask you not be so hasty in your judgement of us mere mortals...(And you think i'm going to end up on cocaine!)

(Maybe I think that instead of using arbitrary tax measures to bring about change, people should instead be more responsible and give to causes that they associate with?

People can always volunteer to pay more tax but nobody does, even hard socialists- its almost as if they have better ideas for where their money can go to than towards the government.

Also, a good tip to winning arguments and making your case is to avoid hurling ad hominen insults and inferring that somebody is brainwashed- this shortcoming is more often than not why people stick to the center and not engage with nutters.
Original post by smc2010
I am glad the Government wants to cut benefits, as I would like to think that people will finally get off their butts and work. But - have benefits been given out for so long that people feel entitled to them and will whinge and complain that they aren't given them?

I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions on benefits. My own beliefs are that: If you're an immigrant you should have been working (legally) in the country for five years before you are entitled to any benefits and you should only be allowed to claim benefits for a maximum of 1 year. After 1 year, you're on your own. I believe that there should also be a cap on UK nationals claiming JSA. I'm sure some will agree and some will disagree.

But one thing we might all agree on, is that the problem we've got in this country is that people see a life on benefits as a real alternative to going to work.

Would love to hear opinions - and please your replies polite, considerate and non-biased guys :-)

Thanks!

Well it all depends where you are at . I think cuts to the child benefit after the 2nd child is disguisting. You may find a little bias as i live in an high unemployment area.lets be honest for whatever reason most people end up out of work.If you cheer on welfare cuts it will mean if your out of employment you will struggle to budget. Its not everyones fault who are out of employment, there may not be a demand for the skills you have. I also find the cut in tax credits harsh making families on the minimum wage worse off.If they have mad any cut to disability allowance camerons an hypocrite
You can always tell who's been on 'benefits' and who hasn't but still has an opinion-fact on what it's like and what the people on it are like.

Note how we've been indoctrinated into using the term 'benefits', for a start.

It stops being financial aid and becomes a 'benefit'. Unemployed? Disabled? Awesome, at least you get to enjoy the benefits! The rest of us have to work, which makes us better than you! With your benefit of having no money and being unable to work to have a comfortable living! Bet you do nothing with all these benefits you get! Would be nice if we all benefited!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending