The Student Room Group

Fixing Benefits Britain

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cadherin
Do you have a carer who could assist you with that? If not, such vouchers should be available to use with supermarket online deliveries or other means if you want to get down to the real nitty gritty.

Non-disabled adults have the ability to work - why should people who do work pay for them in any way?

Not all disabled people need a carer.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Well if you work in the private sector and money you earn comes from the spending of someone else. You don't create money.

You are fallaciously attempting to compare two entirely different things - in the private (and public) sector, people offer a service or good valuable to that market and they are rightly remunerated for it because they offer a competitive service.

You are being paid just for existing!
Original post by OU Student
Um, the £1 shop, maybe?

So what is wrong with using coupons to buy certain items there?
Original post by smc2010
Oh shut up. You wouldn't say that to my face.

I'm done with this forum. It seems to be a place for people to abuse others because they lack the guts to in real life

"You wouldn't say that to my face" :biggrin:

Bet you're a right gimp in real life.
So if both parents are in receipt of the normal state pension that is an entitlement that they have put in. Every tax payer gets a state pension after paying national insurance for 40 years.

Although it is correct that a state pension is a benefit, it is not what most people are referring to when they talk about "benefits" ( despite the state pension actually being the main component of the "benefits bill")

I don't have an issue with anybody who has worked receiving their entitlement and receiving their private pension etc

But if claiming any benefit that is intended to compensate the claimant for loss of work, the claimant has to declare any income and savings. They need to spend any savings before claiming benefits.

Someone I know was made redundant and had to spend the entire sum before getting any benefit ( that is fair enough) but also had to spend the cash from a medical compensation before receiving benefit. The result is that the money that was supposed to pay for a back problem to be sorted out has been spent on food. He now has to wait for NHS treatment instead of private
I agree entirely - I believe welfare should only be available to the disabled and children in the form of raw materials (e.g. things to cook with, pre-paid utility bills, etc.)

Why?

there are plenty of employment opportunities if you can be bothered to work hard and/or present yourself well.

How do you know? Also, the old ''work hard'' phrase rearing its ugly head again there. I think you mean ''work''.

Why should the taxpayer (especially the working and middle classes) prop up others who cannot be bothered? Remove their JSA and housing benefit and see how quickly they would strive to find a job.

It is this sickening sense of entitlement that people expect others to work hard and subsidise their lives - I'm glad Cameron is doing this, but he should go a step further and remove all forms of welfare with the budget for children and the disabled, and the state pension, ring-fenced. After all, it is not the fault of the child that their parents are lazy and/or stupid unentitled layabouts.

Ok well this sounds like something Katie Hopkins would say. It really does seriously sound like middle England brainwashing.

This whole debate never really seems to hinge on how much benefits people receive, rather the reasons they receive it.

On the one hand, you have the group of people that seem to think that a majority of people are on benefits because they are ''lazy'' and ''workshy'' and other Daily Mail phrases.

On the other hand, you have the group of people, including myself, that think that most people are on benefits out of necessity, however there are a small minority of people that abuse the system.

Whatever system you put in place, there's always going to be shrinkage. Open a shop and you'll get items stolen. Run a benefis system and you'll get abusers.

Cut benefits and sit there all proud because you're teaching the ''workshy'' a lesson. Whereas in actual fact what you're doing is ruining a lot of people's lives and taking away the only real lifeline they have. Is it really worth the sacrifice in order to ge the ''workshy'' into work?

And banging on about how the taxpayers money gets wasted is illogical. If you were that concerned about where your tax was going, benefits would be low down on the list.

Coming from the same kind of people that think that 48 is somehow an unusual age for a bloke to have a kid. I think some of you live in some kind of unrealistic bubble here tbh.
Not all disabled people need a carer.

And not all of us who need a carer can get them.
Strong post @frankieboy
Original post by frankieboy
Why?

How do you know? Also, the old ''work hard'' phrase rearing its ugly head again there. I think you mean ''work''.

Ok well this sounds like something Katie Hopkins would say. It really does seriously sound like middle England brainwashing.

This whole debate never really seems to hinge on how much benefits people receive, rather the reasons they receive it.

On the one hand, you have the group of people that seem to think that a majority of people are on benefits because they are ''lazy'' and ''workshy'' and other Daily Mail phrases.

On the other hand, you have the group of people, including myself, that think that most people are on benefits out of necessity, however there are a small minority of people that abuse the system.

Whatever system you put in place, there's always going to be shrinkage. Open a shop and you'll get items stolen. Run a benefis system and you'll get abusers.

Cut benefits and sit there all proud because you're teaching the ''workshy'' a lesson. Whereas in actual fact what you're doing is ruining a lot of people's lives and taking away the only real lifeline they have. Is it really worth the sacrifice in order to ge the ''workshy'' into work?

And banging on about how the taxpayers money gets wasted is illogical. If you were that concerned about where your tax was going, benefits would be low down on the list.

Coming from the same kind of people that think that 48 is somehow an unusual age for a bloke to have a kid. I think some of you live in some kind of unrealistic bubble here tbh.

Yes, it is worth the sacrifice. Just as I disagree with corporate taxpayer subsidies, I disagree similarly with working age benefits.

It is not the only lifeline they have, the best and most cost-effective lifeline they have is getting employed!
Reply 69
Original post by domonict
So if both parents are in receipt of the normal state pension that is an entitlement that they have put in. Every tax payer gets a state pension after paying national insurance for 40 years.

Although it is correct that a state pension is a benefit, it is not what most people are referring to when they talk about "benefits" ( despite the state pension actually being the main component of the "benefits bill")

I don't have an issue with anybody who has worked receiving their entitlement and receiving their private pension etc

But if claiming any benefit that is intended to compensate the claimant for loss of work, the claimant has to declare any income and savings. They need to spend any savings before claiming benefits.

Someone I know was made redundant and had to spend the entire sum before getting any benefit ( that is fair enough) but also had to spend the cash from a medical compensation before receiving benefit. The result is that the money that was supposed to pay for a back problem to be sorted out has been spent on food. He now has to wait for NHS treatment instead of private

And contribution based JSA is dependent on your NI payments too.
And not all of us who need a carer can get them.

That is very true.

You are fallaciously attempting to compare two entirely different things - in the private (and public) sector, people offer a service or good valuable to that market and they are rightly remunerated for it because they offer a competitive service.

You are being paid just for existing!

Ok, so I need MORE stigma. I already know there are lots of people that would consider me a 'scrounger' and say that my illnesses aren't real. Christ I beat myself up enough about claiming benefits but when I only leave the house to buy food and spend all day in bed surrounded by a growing pile of rubbish, I don't have a choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by frankieboy
Why?

'Middle England brainwashing' - does 'lefty northern, Welsh or Scottish brainwashing' spring to mind for you then?
Reply 72
Yes, it is worth the sacrifice. Just as I disagree with corporate taxpayer subsidies, I disagree similarly with working age benefits.

It is not the only lifeline they have, the best and most cost-effective lifeline they have is getting employed!

So you'd rather carers didn't bother and the NHS picked up the tab?
If you give me vouchers, I can't then go and spend them in the local £1 shop. I am forced to somehow get to the local supermarket, (which as a non-driver is impossible) and spend my money there.

Why the disabled and children? What about non-disabled people?

Once it reaches my account, it is my money.

Vouchers can be used in any shop that decides to accept them. You've assumed that only large supermarkets could or would get involved in such a voucher scheme.
That is very true.

Ok, so I need MORE stigma. I already know there are lots of people that would consider me a 'scrounger' and say that my illnesses aren't real. Christ I beat myself up enough about claiming benefits but when I only leave the house to buy food and spend all day in bed surrounded by a growing pile of rubbish, I don't have a choice.

Perhaps if you tried putting yourself out, and even merely attempting to gain employment, you wouldn't feel this way.
Perhaps if you tried putting yourself out, and even merely attempting to gain employment, you wouldn't feel this way.

You don't have the first idea about mental illness, do you?
Original post by Quady
So you'd rather carers didn't bother and the NHS picked up the tab?

How is carer funding related in any way to what you quoted me on?
You don't have the first idea about mental illness, do you?

The majority of forms of mental illness do not mean one cannot get a job. Agoraphobia or compulsive hoarding are very different from not being able to walk. I'm sure you know that.
Reply 78
How is carer funding related in any way to what you quoted me on?

Its a working age benefit, and you said you disagree with working age benefits.
Original post by Quady
Its a working age benefit, and you said you disagree with working age benefits.

A working age benefit for the disabled. I have stated repeatedly that the disabled should be exempted from welfare truncation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending