The Student Room Group

Fixing Benefits Britain

I am glad the Government wants to cut benefits, as I would like to think that people will finally get off their butts and work. But - have benefits been given out for so long that people feel entitled to them and will whinge and complain that they aren't given them?

I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions on benefits. My own beliefs are that: If you're an immigrant you should have been working (legally) in the country for five years before you are entitled to any benefits and you should only be allowed to claim benefits for a maximum of 1 year. After 1 year, you're on your own. I believe that there should also be a cap on UK nationals claiming JSA. I'm sure some will agree and some will disagree.

But one thing we might all agree on, is that the problem we've got in this country is that people see a life on benefits as a real alternative to going to work.

Would love to hear opinions - and please your replies polite, considerate and non-biased guys :-)

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Clearly you know nothing mate

Most people dont sit on their butts when theyre umeployed

Working 5 years before claiming jsa? Lol bro. So what happens if you get fired and you havent clocked up 5 years?

Go on the streets and sell drugs to get by?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Raichu 99
Clearly you know nothing mate

Most people dont sit on their butts when theyre umeployed

Working 5 years before claiming jsa? Lol bro. So what happens if you get fired and you havent clocked up 5 years?

Go on the streets and sell drugs to get by?

Yet another middle class kid with a rich mummy and daddy who watches too much bull**** on tv like benefit street

Next

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your post is full of anger and hate. You seem bitter. If you cannot discuss this without acting like this, please refrain from posting in this thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
I quite like the idea of limiting benefits for migrants for the first few years of their stay, because it may encourage a relaxation of the rules regarding getting a tier 2 visa. For example, if there is no prospect of benefits being paid to a recent migrant, then who will care what kind of job they are getting? Right now you need a certain salary and skill level.
Original post by smc2010
Your post is full of anger and hate. You seem bitter. If you cannot discuss this without acting like this, please refrain from posting in this thread.

I saw those edits brah, i saw them :hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by smc2010

But one thing we might all agree on, is that the problem we've got in this country is that people see a life on benefits as a real alternative to going to work.

Except there really isn't. The daily mail likes to highlight the minority of people who actually choose not to work, but in reality the majority of benefits are paid to people already in work and most people out of work try to get a new job rather than stay on benefits.
Reply 6
Original post by smc2010
I am glad the Government wants to cut benefits,

How'd you work that out?

Most benefits have a triple lock ensuring they increase by the highest of inflation, average earnings rises or 2%.
Reply 7
Original post by smc2010

I know, my dad has been on benefits for the last 14 years and my mum for the last six.

Looks like they'll be on benefits for another 10-30 years...
Reply 8
Original post by Quady
I know, my dad has been on benefits for the last 14 years and my mum for the last six.

Looks like they'll be on benefits for another 10-30 years...

ok I'm sure there is a good reason for them being on benefits for that long period of time?
Reply 9
Original post by smc2010
ok I'm sure there is a good reason for them being on benefits for that long period of time?

Well they haven't died so why would they come off benefits?
Reply 10
Original post by Quady
Well they haven't died so why would they come off benefits?

Ok, so your parents sound like the kind i'm talking about. They've become accustomed to a life on benefits and don't want to work? Is that what you're saying?
There are people who cant even get enough food,
cutting befits is not the solution, we need to organise

ALSO the cutting of taxes when "we are all in this together" is a load of b***s***
Reply 12
Original post by smc2010
Ok, so your parents sound like the kind i'm talking about. They've become accustomed to a life on benefits and don't want to work? Is that what you're saying?

Totally.

Most welfare claimants are like that, almost all claim for years and die on benefits.

Yet their benefits increase every year and no government has the guts to do anything about it.
Reply 13
Original post by Quady
Totally.

Most welfare claimants are like that, almost all claim for years and die on benefits.

Yet their benefits increase every year and no government has the guts to do anything about it.

you're being facetious. Not every welfare claimant is like that at all :smile:
Original post by smc2010

Not quite. If you're long term unemployed ( over 12 months) it's very difficult to get a job.
Reply 15
Original post by smc2010
you're being facetious. Not every welfare claimant is like that at all :smile:

Really?

Pretty sure the vast majority are tbh.
Reply 16
Original post by Quady
Really?

Pretty sure the vast majority are tbh.

Well if that's your opinion you're more than entitled to it. I know several people who are exactly as you describe and it's quite depressing. I'd like to think that not everyone is like that...
Reply 17
Original post by MatureStudent36
Not quite. If you're long term unemployed ( over 12 months) it's very difficult to get a job.

And also where are the incentives?

My parents draw a private income of £40k or so then get over £10k in welfare. Why bother trying to go back to work? They own their own house, its a pretty comfy life for them.
Reply 18
Original post by Maker
You are talking out of the end where the sun don't shine.

Have you ever been in the real world or do you live in some bubble and force fed right wing BS?

Oh shut up. You wouldn't say that to my face.

I'm done with this forum. It seems to be a place for people to abuse others because they lack the guts to in real life
Original post by Quady

My parents draw a private income of £40k or so then get over £10k in welfare. Why bother trying to go back to work? They own their own house, its a pretty comfy life for them.

Where does the private income come from?
If they have a private income, it should be declared to the dhss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending