The Student Room Group

advice needed teaching

Hi, ive been a Support worker supporting clients with learning Disabilities in a range of activities like Arts n Crafts, Photography, Dance and Drama, etc and want to pusue teaching. I have an IT degree but don't want to do secondary, I have looked at, OU for another degree and then go into PGCE . I have thought of TA course but its too late to get a placement.At the moment I am working part time as support worker and really want t continue supportsupporting clients in activities, i was wondering if there are any other qualifications that would help me get in to teaching.
Original post by jpowis123
Hi, ive been a Support worker supporting clients with learning Disabilities in a range of activities like Arts n Crafts, Photography, Dance and Drama, etc and want to pusue teaching. I have an IT degree but don't want to do secondary, I have looked at, OU for another degree and then go into PGCE . I have thought of TA course but its too late to get a placement.At the moment I am working part time as support worker and really want t continue supportsupporting clients in activities, i was wondering if there are any other qualifications that would help me get in to teaching.

HI.

I'm not entirely clear from your post, but are you looking to go into primary teaching?

As you already hold a degree, and are a mature student, I see no reason why you couldn't enquire about a primary PGCE with the degree you hold. As far as I am aware you only need to have 50% of your degree in the subject you wish to teach if you want to teach at secondary school. The main stipulation is to hold GCSE's in Maths, English and Science and an undergraduate degree. If you have those 4 qualifications there is nothing more to do but apply.

It is possible that you may still find a PGCE place available for a September start: alternatively you could apply in November to start in September 2016.

Have a look on the UCAS teacher training website for universities, and phone the admissions department to clarify that they are happy for you to apply.

Best of luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending