The Student Room Group

How to clean stained teeth?

I have been brushing twice a day for two minutes with toothpaste provided by the dentist as well as using mouthwash yet my teeth still remain stained and they look awful. Has anybody got any tips to help with this apart from eating healthy, continuing brushing ect
Professional cleaning from hygienist & tooth whitening
Have the exact same problem. I get them professionally cleaned every 3 months but the staining comes back within a week! :s-smilie:
A few tips I've picked up:
1) Brush at least 40 mins after a meal (or before e.g. as soon as you wake up) and only twice a day
2) Always drink water after a meal, snack or other drink
3) Brush teeth and floss (the usual)
4) Try and avoid coffee and tea (or at least cut down on it)
5) Try stain removal toothpastes. I'm currently using Blanx intense stain removal toothpaste which has slowed down the rate I get staining. With a bit more searching I may find some that actually does the job!
6) If you wear retainers, clean your mouth out thoroughly with water before putting them in
Reply 3
Tip..never brush your teeth after eating, only brush teeth before eating and leave at least a couple of hours after eating before brushing.
I have a small stain in one tooth which comes back from time to time, I actually rub it off with a tiny piece of those magic sponges you can get from Wilkinsons. They are slightly abrasive for getting rid of scuffs on walls etc and my teeth are like as smooth as they are after a dental polish.
Original post by Anonymous
I have been brushing twice a day for two minutes with toothpaste provided by the dentist as well as using mouthwash yet my teeth still remain stained and they look awful. Has anybody got any tips to help with this apart from eating healthy, continuing brushing ect

2 minutes isn't enough. I still have stained teeth and brush non stop for 15 minutes twice a day but it helps me.
Original post by Limpopo
Tip..never brush your teeth after eating, only brush teeth before eating and leave at least a couple of hours after eating before brushing.

...really....? my teeth are fine but they'd be better if I didn't drink 20 oz of chai/black tea. :biggrin:

(edited 8 years ago)
Apparently using baking soda works to whiten your teeth don't know if it's true though
Mix a quarter teaspoon of baking soda with a little toothpaste. Brush your teeth with this gritty mixture and rinse with warm water. Use it once or twice a week.

Thanks for sharing..

Quick Reply