The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hi,
Next year Im starting year 11 and i will have to choose a level choices for sixth form,
I want to become a barrister, i have wanted to become a barrister since i was about 11, lately i wasnt sure between becoming a doctor or a barrister because i like biology...
I still decided to become a barrister now im stuck for my a level choices, I want to choose traditional a levels because obviously thats what unis prefer:
My options are
French (fluent french speaker)
Maths
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
But then whats the point of choosing complicated a levels if they will be of no use?
Plus my chemistry teacher says i should become a doctor ?
Whats it like studying these subjects?
And if i shouldnt choose these difficult subjects what should i choose because i have to choose traditional a levels ?😐😐
Any help would be apppreciated...
In my opinion you should stop worrying about your choices so early on. I've finished my GCSE exams and I still don't know for sure what subjects I'll take, you're not even in year 11!

Remember you have more than a year to choose, so chill :smile:
Original post by Shahid786
Hi,
Next year Im starting year 11 and i will have to choose a level choices for sixth form,
I want to become a barrister, i have wanted to become a barrister since i was about 11, lately i wasnt sure between becoming a doctor or a barrister because i like biology...
I still decided to become a barrister now im stuck for my a level choices, I want to choose traditional a levels because obviously thats what unis prefer:
My options are
French (fluent french speaker)
Maths
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
But then whats the point of choosing complicated a levels if they will be of no use?
Plus my chemistry teacher says i should become a doctor ?
Whats it like studying these subjects?
And if i shouldnt choose these difficult subjects what should i choose because i have to choose traditional a levels ?😐😐
Any help would be apppreciated...

Its a little early to worry yet but if you want to be a doctor you d need to be doing science subjects really so biology maths and chemistry then maybe physics but you could take french as a 4th if you really wanted to.
If you want to be a barrister then you wont need to pick science subjects whatsoever, something like english could be a better option for that:smile:
It's too early for you to be sure- subjects will become easier/harder as you continue through the GCSE course. But to keep both options open I would suggest Maths, Biology, Chemistry and French from your list, although I would suggest English Lit or History for law, as they show you're a competent essay writer. If you're still undecided between the two career paths the best combo would probably be Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History, although you'd have to carry all onto A2, although if you decided to do law French, History/English, Maths and your favourite science would be ideal.
For Law most top Universities do not specify any subjects - you could have 3 sciences - they just want mega-high grades. So pick the subjects that you feel you would enjoy the most and be confident of getting A or A* grades in - ie. French. An 'essay subject' such as a Language, Eng Lit, History, Politics, or Sociology would be useful to illustrate your ability with words, reasoning, academic argument, analysing text etc for your Personal Statement. Law is definitely not a required subject at A level.

Lots of info here : http://www.bris.ac.uk/law/study/ugdegrees/ - esp. under 'How to apply'.
The best advice i could give is to choose the subjects you enjoy and that you are good at . You should then be able to formulate a career plan surrounding those areas of study .
Good luck !
Original post by Madzjade2000
The best advice i could give is to choose the subjects you enjoy and that you are good at . You should then be able to formulate a career plan surrounding those areas of study .
Good luck !

Do you clock that this thread is 5 years old.

Like my guy has done his Alevels by now ahahha

Latest