The Student Room Group

Hours for your part-time summer job?

I'm 17 years old and have recently got a part time summer job. Just wondering how much other people earn, say on average over the summer? I know most are only minimum wage, but I just wanted to compare hours. The hours in my job vary from 10-20 each week.
I work avg. 20hrs a week (Thursday to sunday 6pm to 11pm) for £6.50 per hour, goods thing is its cash in handand easy money i need for uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Drmischief
I work avg. 20hrs a week (Thursday to sunday 6pm to 11pm) for £6.50 per hour, goods thing is its cash in handand easy money i need for uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find a summer job? Sorry I'm new to this jobs and all
Good website to find part time vacancies anyone?
Indeed is a great place. Funnily I work as little as I can, the novelty of earning has worn off and I do very little with the money so it feels like a waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm on about 17.5 hours a week earning £5.13.

Indeed is a great place to look as you can search it in a Google-like way (e.g. Part-time Glasgow) and it gives you a really good coverage.

If there's a specific place you want to look youre better looking on their own recruitment site. For example, WHSmith don't advertise on Indeed until a few days after its posted on their own careers site. Some cinemas are notorious for posting on Indeed a few hours after their ad is posted then taking down the vacancies shortly afte in short, just keep your eyes peeled.
Reply 6
Original post by fattortoise
I'm 17 years old and have recently got a part time summer job. Just wondering how much other people earn, say on average over the summer? I know most are only minimum wage, but I just wanted to compare hours. The hours in my job vary from 10-20 each week.

Back when I was a student and working over the summer holidays I was doing full time ~40 hour weeks. Occasionally with double shifts and overnight.

So would have been earning around £400-£500 a week.
Reply 7
Original post by Reue
Back when I was a student and working over the summer holidays I was doing full time ~40 hour weeks. Occasionally with double shifts and overnight.

So would have been earning around £400-£500 a week.

That's a lot compared to what I've got! I applied really early at Easter but I've been messed around a bit as I they advertised for one person to help out in school holidays, but instead they have about 3 people with low hours. I'm now applying for another job that requires evenings so it'll fit around sixth form.
A few people posting on here have higher than the minimum wage, what type of jobs are these or is it just the employer?
Reply 8

A few people posting on here have higher than the minimum wage, what type of jobs are these or is it just the employer?

Mine was a lifeguard for the local council. Adjusted for inflation it paid £10.33 an hour.
That's a lot compared to what I've got! I applied really early at Easter but I've been messed around a bit as I they advertised for one person to help out in school holidays, but instead they have about 3 people with low hours. I'm now applying for another job that requires evenings so it'll fit around sixth form.

Try mcdonalds. They are pretty flexible, you can do as many or as little hours as you like, and you can do whatever hours suits you (e.g. evenings, weekends, more in the holidays etc).
30 hrs ish (per week) at 7.40 an hour =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending