The Student Room Group

Do you take Maths and Further as two different options or just Further?

I swear you take maths and further maths, bang 2 options right there. but my friend is sure you only take further maths as it counts for maths or something... HELP
Reply 1
you take both, you also can take additional further maths if you are adventurous
You get two A-Levels, one in Maths and one in Further Maths if that is what you're asking
Reply 3
you can get an A-level regarding maths as follows...

-Maths
-Further Maths
-Additional Further Maths
Reply 4
Original post by Protoxylic
You get two A-Levels, one in Maths and one in Further Maths if that is what you're asking

But you have to take maths and further to achieve this right?
Original post by Honeystone
But you have to take maths and further to achieve this right?

Nope. But you'd be mad not to take normal maths if you were taking further.
Reply 6
They're separate A levels and have to be chosen as such?
Reply 7

I agree! I don't know what my friend is thinking when he argues to be honest
I swear you take maths and further maths, bang 2 options right there. but my friend is sure you only take further maths as it counts for maths or something... HELP

Lol, "bang, 2 options right there" XDD

Yeah, they are separate btw :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
Lol, "bang, 2 options right there" XDD

Yeah, they are separate btw :tongue:

Its not that deep 😂
Original post by vd12345
Its not that deep 😂

Still, found that so funny lmao
All colleges that I know of require you to take maths to be able to do further maths

Surely you can't take Further Maths separately?

As far as I'm aware on the Edexcel board Further Maths can't be taken unless Mathematics is being taken in the same season/has been taken before.

Edexcel restricts cash-ins for S2, S3, M2, M3, M4 etc. unless S1 and M1 are done so I'm sure there are rules that FP1 can't be taken unless C1 and C2 have been done or will be done same season, same case for FP2 or FP3 with C3 and C4?
Original post by yellowcopter
Surely you can't take Further Maths separately?

As far as I'm aware on the Edexcel board Further Maths can't be taken unless Mathematics is being taken in the same season/has been taken before.

Edexcel restricts cash-ins for S2, S3, M2, M3, M4 etc. unless S1 and M1 are done so I'm sure there are rules that FP1 can't be taken unless C1 and C2 have been done or will be done same season, same case for FP2 or FP3 with C3 and C4?

Yes you are right you can't take the relevant Further Maths qualification without at least that in Maths(to do Further Maths AS you must do Maths AS and to do Further Maths A2 you must do Maths A2).

I believe you are wrong about the cashing rules for Maths though as for Further Maths AS you can do any other units than FP1 as your optional units(other than C1-C4), you obviously can't do a unit twice but I have heard of someone doing D2 and not D1 I think for Further Maths.For Maths you are right you must take units that make logical sense(S1 before S2) but they aren't as strict on Further Maths.

It is funny 😂😂😂

Omg he edited it out!
Original post by vd12345
Omg he edited it out!

Wut, it still shows the "bang, 2 options" in the OP
Wut, it still shows the "bang, 2 options" in the OP

Omg I'm high, sorry 😂😂😂
Original post by vd12345
Omg I'm high, sorry 😂😂😂

Lmao, no worries xD

Maths and Further maths are 2 separate A levels, but I take your question as asking how you choose it in your A level options.

Some sixth forms timetable it as Maths and as Further Maths, taking up 2 of your A level options. Others just timetable the 2 A levels as Further Maths in a single option block, often plus a couple of extra lessons squeezed in somewhere. Obviously, if your centre goes for the second option the pace of teaching will be faster and it's harder to keep up, but it does make it more possible to study 4 or 5 complete A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest