The Student Room Group

Would you take 500k cash tax free or a job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd take it at 30, I would like to work in some interesting jobs giving me valuable skills before I start a business.
500k for sure.

As has been said already, live off the 20k post-inflation interest. Yes 20k isn't huge money but you don't have to ****ing go to work anymore. You could retire to somewhere with hot girls and low costs, like Cambodia or Thailand, and live a very nice life. Not hookers and blow every night, but a very comfortable lifestyle.
Original post by JayReg
I'd take it at 30, I would like to work in some interesting jobs giving me valuable skills before I start a business.

you're more of a wantrepreneur someone who says they will but don't. At 30s you will be married with kids = zero time. 45 usually around the time people go into their own business.

Earlier the better lad.
Original post by voiceofreason234
500k for sure.

As has been said already, live off the 20k post-inflation interest. Yes 20k isn't huge money but you don't have to ****ing go to work anymore. You could retire to somewhere with hot girls and low costs, like Cambodia or Thailand, and live a very nice life. Not hookers and blow every night, but a very comfortable lifestyle.

maybe once in a while though :wink:
Original post by Bill_Gates
well said honestly some people on this thread lol.

people have been successfully brainwashed by capitalism, they actually like the idea of being a slave and think it is an honourable thing to be
Reply 25
you're more of a wantrepreneur someone who says they will but don't. At 30s you will be married with kids = zero time. 45 usually around the time people go into their own business.

Earlier the better lad.

My type of business would be a wealth management or investment management business, to start that you need a strong track record, qualifications, and indeed age. No successful 50 year old would trust someone under 30 with their millions.
maybe once in a while though :wink:

Once in a while for sure - when I was teaching English in Thailand for a year I was only on 13k GBP a year, and still had my fair share!

Anyone who is saying 20k isn't enough needs to remember there's more countries than just the UK (and honestly 20k still isn't bad living in the UK if you don't have to work for it and you're outside London).
Yes, I will take £500k. Thanks, Mr. Gates! Don't worry, I intend to stick to the rules of the deal - I'll use it to buy a property. Thanks again. This is a tremendous gift. Will you need my bank details to do an electronic transfer of funds, or will you just be writing me a cheque?
Original post by driftawaay
people have been successfully brainwashed by capitalism, they actually like the idea of being a slave and think it is an honourable thing to be

LOL i know jesus christ. Inequality gone too far!!
Original post by voiceofreason234
Once in a while for sure - when I was teaching English in Thailand for a year I was only on 13k GBP a year, and still had my fair share!

Anyone who is saying 20k isn't enough needs to remember there's more countries than just the UK (and honestly 20k still isn't bad living in the UK if you don't have to work for it and you're outside London).

20k sound outside of London as a "guaranteed" income. You can plan a head make wise choices and way less stress. You could be on 40k and just get the sack and be unemployed for months.
Would you take 500k cash tax free or a job?

The terms:
500k cash you can only invest it into a business or start a business,buy property etc - but you can't go work for someone (take a job again).

If the answer is still no - what about 1m?

A job. :yep:
managed capitalism is really at a new stage.
Out of interest, would government make us pay tax on this money?
Original post by Rakas21
Out of interest, would government make us pay tax on this money?

tax free
Reply 34
Hmm...I'd take the 500k. Considering that I'm not allowed to work for anyone again, I'd be bored in no time at all, forcing me to start a business, which I'd want to succeed since I have no other source of income! :smile:
Original post by SamieBoy
Hmm...I'd take the 500k. Considering that I'm not allowed to work for anyone again, I'd be bored in no time at all, forcing me to start a business, which I'd want to succeed since I have no other source of income! :smile:

Good call - more to life than just a job no?
Good call - more to life than just a job no?

People in this thread are hilarious. How dull these people must be to be bored without a job. LMAO.
Original post by driftawaay
People in this thread are hilarious. How dull these people must be to be bored without a job. LMAO.

Haha - i give up honestly. I despair for humanity.
20k sound outside of London as a "guaranteed" income. You can plan a head make wise choices and way less stress. You could be on 40k and just get the sack and be unemployed for months.

Also.... a 20K income a year would make you a millionaire in lots of countries in the world, it would make you a top 1% earner in Eastern Europe, I would take the cash, move back to Hungary and live like a ****ing queen. And even in the UK, it's enough to live comfortably. I'd take 20K and no job over 60K and a job.
Really original thread idea

Quick Reply

Latest