The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Immortality is on the horizon

I have been surprised to find very little interest in this subject for what its implications are, so here is some information for those that may not know much or anything about it. The bottom line is that within the lifetimes of virtually and possibly every member of this forum technology will be developed to 'cure' humanity of illness and the aging process and thereby prolong human life for thousands of years and even indefinitely - in a state of permanent youth and good health.

Thoughts? I was sceptical about the desirability of this at first and the social complications it would cause but the force of de Grey's arguments have somewhat persuaded me and created an excitement in me at the prospect of living for thousands of years, possibly even 'forever'.

Below are some links to some of the many interviews, articles and talks Aubrey de Grey has given on the subject.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4003063.stm

http://m.livescience.com/6967-hang-25-year-wait-immortality.html

qMAwnA5WvLc

BsR7L5nnmFY
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's not possible.
Never was.
Never is.
Never will be.
Reply 2
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
It's not possible.
Never was.
Never is.
Never will be.

That simply isn't true. Have you even bothered to entertain the possibility like a rational human being by hearing what he has to say in the links provided?

'Faith' at its finest...
Original post by Birkenhead
That simply isn't true. Have you even bothered to entertain the possibility like a rational human being by hearing what he has to say in the links provided?

'Faith' at its finest...

There is no way the human body can survive so long. Thousands of years? Forever?
Science is great but not that great. It's impossible. The human body isn't meant to last that long.

Just think...if this REALLY would happen (which I don't think it will) then wouldn't the world be dangerously over-populated? I know some people would have a problem with that.

Death is part of life. It has to happen.

You're implying I'm irrational when you fully believe an idea such as this...:rolleyes:
Reply 4
There is no way the human body can survive so long. Thousands of years? Forever?
Science is great but not that great. It's impossible. The human body isn't meant to last that long.

Just think...if this REALLY would happen (which I don't think it will) then wouldn't the world be dangerously over-populated? I know some people would have a problem with that.

You're implying I'm irrational when you fully believe an idea such as this...:rolleyes:

You quite obviously haven't read or listened to any of the material. I really, really think you should engage with the material I have provided so that you acquire an elementary understanding of the project and de Grey's arguments in favour of it before you make strong judgements about whether or not it is feasible.

And yet the some of the biblical (and koranic) prophets lived for hundreds of years :rolleyes:

Have you seen the videos btw?
Original post by blah3210
And yet the some of the biblical (and koranic) prophets lived for hundreds of years :rolleyes:

Have you seen the videos btw?

That's true. Prophet Isaa is still alive but immortality is impossible. Everything will die. It has to.
That's true. Prophet Isaa is still alive but immortality is impossible. Everything will die. It has to.

Yes everything will die, even this universe but that doesn't mean we cannot achieve biological immortality :smile:
I would hate to live forever, it would drive me insane.
Original post by whydoidothis?
I would hate to live forever, it would drive me insane.

Why?
Reply 10

No, it doesn't. Already in the natural world there are organisms such as the Immortal Jellyfish which are incapable of dying as a result of aging.

The material will enlighten you to the knowledge that humans do not have to age or die, and that science is well on the way to shielding us from both of these things.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am excited to see the possibility of immortality, I mean even as a Muslim it cannot be denied that biological immortality would be a very interesting trait to develop and honestly if given the chance I would become immortal for various reasons. It is excellent how our sciences are progressing.
Original post by blah3210
Why?

Life would get to a point of repetitiveness and watching so many people enter and leave your life would give you a sense of loneliness. After hundreds of years I would have had enough, when time has no value then each moment is worthless.
Reply 13
Original post by whydoidothis?
Life would get to a point of repetitiveness and watching so many people enter and leave your life would give you a sense of loneliness. After hundreds of years I would have had enough, when time has no value then each moment is worthless.

De Grey tackles this attitude in the material I have provided.
Reply 14
I ain't gonna be immortal. It'd get boring after a few years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Andy98
I ain't gonna be immortal. It'd get boring after a few years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you would prefer to die permanently after less than a century than to live for at least a couple of hundred years more and have the opportunity to experience our planet and all its treasures to a far greater degree than is currently possible?
Reply 16
Original post by StolenPrivacy
I am excited to see the possibility of immortality, I mean even as a Muslim it cannot be denied that biological immortality would be a very interesting trait to develop and honestly if given the chance I would become immortal for various reasons. It is excellent how our sciences are progressing.

This is encouraging. What do you think is it about Islam that gives you and others hesitation about this proposal?
The real question is what we'd do about overpopulation. Really you'd need to develop a way to colonise space too unless you're going to practically ban having children.
This is encouraging. What do you think is it about Islam that gives you and others hesitation about this proposal?

It is not Islam that gives me personally hesitation about immortality, it is more the effects of living that long on the human psyche.

But I would say that some Muslims don't seem to be able to have scientific views on topics without combining religion into the mix as they don't understand at Islam's best we were producing so much scientific content but we have stagnated horrifically over the years.
De Grey tackles this attitude in the material I have provided.

I read the two articles, nothing.

The most i could get was that you would never get bored as there would always be things to do.
I disagree, after a thousand years you would be dead tired of working, of life ( for immortality to work/be sustainable everyone would need to work etc, who can't find a job in 1000 years lol).
You would have had numerous partners, falling out with friends and would just feel like a machine struggling to feel anything and wanting death. No cool gadget or lesiure activities can replace these feelings.

I do not think immortality is good for our race in the long term but if similar technology could be used to prevent early deaths, it would be beneficial.

Latest

Trending

Trending