The Student Room Group

David Cameron's approval rating is positive for the first time since December 2010

Poll

Do you approve of the current Government?

We have seen before the election that Miliband has lower approval ratings than Cameron despite not governing. But for the first time in 4 and a half years, Cameron has actually achieved a net positive approval rating. (Satisfaction in their job as Prime Minister)

If we ignore Cameron's post-election governement approval of 2010, this is the first time a UK Government has a net positive approval rating since November 29 2001 under Blair.

Britain now becomes the 5th country in EU where government ratings are positive, after Finland, Luxembourg, Sweden, Denmark and Germany.

Highest is Finland where President Niinistö has an approval rating of 86%, a net positive of 83. The overwhelming majority agree that he has performed his duties well. Finland had the highest approval rating in Europe until Russia surpassed them in January of this year.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/datablog/2015/jul/23/vladimir-putins-approval-rating-at-record-levels

Britain moved too late however, as if this had happened 3 months earlier we would have been 4th. Germany's government reached positive approval rating in April 2015.

Osborne is the second highest ranked Finance Minister (Chancellor of Exchequer) in Europe after Schauble of Germany, at 61% personal rating. Schauble is at 67%

In February it was at 41%, which was net -18%

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/14/opinium-poll-david-cameron-maintains-approval-rating

For reference, Obama's approval rating is at 46%, -2 net.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/88/Political-Monitor-Satisfaction-Ratings-1997Present.aspx?view=wide]POLL:
- Note that Cameron is the second Prime Minister since Thatcher to recover approval ratings to positive without war after prolonged period of negatives.

Though: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-07-17/is-merkel-risking-popularity-over-greece-s-bailout-

AMONG TORIES: (Increased significantly)

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
And I forgot literally the most important thing I was on about...
Aye the Tories are riding on a bit of a honeymoon at the moment which coupled with the chaos and civil war of the Labour Party as well as the animosity drawn up towards the SNP and the huge lack of media scrutiny for the Tories - it's no surprise to see Cameron's ratings up.

The press have consistently portrayed Cameron as some sort of centrist moderate when in reality he's been doing things that Maggie could only have dreamed of.

If Labour can get themselves organised it's not all doom and gloom for them. The Tories only have a very slender majority and have been thwarted on Fox Hunting and Evel so far already. Not to mention the divides in the party to come as we near the European referendum and also the uncertainty and instability that a new leadership contest could bring.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Summed up by the poster above me much better than I would have done.
Reply 4
Aye. People forget that Milipede was rising a bit, so was Cameron. This has further risen since the election, indeed I'm very happy with the first 3 months of this majority.
Even if you don't agree with his policies from a diplomatic point of view he's done well. He handled the Tunisia crisis well, he finally started to address the issues with Islam and he's offering the referendum on the EU which pleases the eurosceptics, while hoping to stay in which pleases the europhiles.

And the budget cuts on things like benefits for numerous children went down very well.
Yep. All those protests were just people showing their devotion to Dai Cameron with aggressive passion.
Compared to the bloodshed in the Labour party and nutters like Kendall running around (I think she's forgotten which party she's meant to be in) Cameron seems fairly stable. His policies are ****, but at least he seems to be sure of which policies he's in favour of, unlike the candidates for the Labour party leadership who just seem confused.. Which further proves my point that the Labour party is dead RIP.
Reply 8
Original post by tengentoppa
Even if you don't agree with his policies from a diplomatic point of view he's done well. He handled the Tunisia crisis well, he finally started to address the issues with Islam and he's offering the referendum on the EU which pleases the eurosceptics, while hoping to stay in which pleases the europhiles.

And the budget cuts on things like benefits for numerous children went down very well.

I'm not sure on the reasoning of people voting no but from my point of view Cameron's leadership during the Libyan crisis was pretty poor. Not only did it take a long response but he also pretty much followed Hollande and Obama in whatever they did.
Reply 9
Original post by tengentoppa

Ignoring a hefty discussion on religion, has he actually done much? Apart from saying "hey, I'm going to start to address the issues with Islam..."?

I mean, in that case if my significant other asks me, I can confidently report "I've started to address the issues with the skirting boards needing painting..."
Original post by offhegoes
Ignoring a hefty discussion on religion, has he actually done much? Apart from saying "hey, I'm going to start to address the issues with Islam..."?

I mean, in that case if my significant other asks me, I can confidently report "I've started to address the issues with the skirting boards needing painting..."

Well no, he's produced nothing of substance but image and perception is what matters in approval ratings
I kind of approve of the current government as somebody on the economic-liberalism side of the scale but the fox hunting thing really rubbed me the wrong way - how could they do that? that's disgraceful
Reply 12
Say what you like about David Cameron...

The end.
Original post by offhegoes
Say what you like about David Cameron...

The end.

His wit during PMQs, primarily.
Reply 14
Original post by Bornblue
If Labour can get themselves organised it's not all doom and gloom for them.

And Scottish Labour. The clock is ticking towards the 2016 elections...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending