The Student Room Group

Deciding between Newcastle & Northumbria universities

I just completed an HND course and passed with an overall distinction so I have a pretty much unconditional offer to either universities for 2nd year entry Computer Science.

I've got 1 mate who's at Newcastle going into his 3rd year come September and 2 other mates who are going 2nd year entry (like me, only that they are sure they wish to go to Northumbria) into Northumbria.

Accommodation isn't an issue, private renting a flat. Distance wise is negligible, they're about 200m apart from each other.

The difference otherwise is in university ranking- Newcastle is about 20-40 places above Northumbria depending on which table you use, but as an added bonus Northumbria has no exams (after year 1 which I am skipping).

Is it worth the bother of going to a 'better' university? I'd be doing the course alone so to speak in Newcastle, where I would otherwise have 2 other mates in the same class. Having no exams also sounds good, but I know that means more coursework, which is easy to fall behind on.

I'm a self-taught independent guy so I really don't care much at all about the actual teaching (a course with fun/interesting assignments is obviously a plus though), more the end result of qualifying for a job.

I've read many articles that usually say that the job experience is generally much more important than what uni you went to. So, is it worth the hassle of going to Newcastle over Northumbria?
I'd pick Newcastle. It's a better name to have on your CV, and it will likely pay dividends when you come to graduate.

You will meet new friends on your course, as well as through any societies you choose to join, and you'll still be able to meet up with existing friends in your spare time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by SacredSkull
I just completed an HND course and passed with an overall distinction so I have a pretty much unconditional offer to either universities for 2nd year entry Computer Science.

I've got 1 mate who's at Newcastle going into his 3rd year come September and 2 other mates who are going 2nd year entry (like me, only that they are sure they wish to go to Northumbria) into Northumbria.

Accommodation isn't an issue, private renting a flat. Distance wise is negligible, they're about 200m apart from each other.

The difference otherwise is in university ranking- Newcastle is about 20-40 places above Northumbria depending on which table you use, but as an added bonus Northumbria has no exams (after year 1 which I am skipping).

Is it worth the bother of going to a 'better' university? I'd be doing the course alone so to speak in Newcastle, where I would otherwise have 2 other mates in the same class. Having no exams also sounds good, but I know that means more coursework, which is easy to fall behind on.

I'm a self-taught independent guy so I really don't care much at all about the actual teaching (a course with fun/interesting assignments is obviously a plus though), more the end result of qualifying for a job.

I've read many articles that usually say that the job experience is generally much more important than what uni you went to. So, is it worth the hassle of going to Newcastle over Northumbria?

It's up to you really.

Newcastle does stand a higher in league tables and carries more prestige with it being in the Russell Group however I've heard lots of people say "I'd rather be getting a first in Northumbria than a third in Newcastle" so that's worth considering.

Have a look at the module breakdown for each course and compare. I currently attend Northumbria and have had the chance to get a placement that counts towards me degree which I wouldn't have had at Newcastle which, as you said yourself, gives me more job experience and employability.

As well as the course though it's worth looking at volunteering, society and sport opportunities at each university as the experience is about far more than just the course you're applying too.

Good luck on making your decision!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending