The Student Room Group

Universities Urge Britain To Stay In The European Union

Link to article

University chiefs are set to back Britain's membership of the European Union ahead of the in-out referendum.

Academics will insist that EU membership has had an “overwhelmingly positive impact” on the standard of higher education and has helped promote the UK's standing in the world.

As a pro-european I'm glad the discussion is getting support from even more influential people.
Makes sense, it's in their self-interest. When there was the initial referendum in 1975 the intellectuals and big business argued for and trade unions argued against.

For all the issues I have with the EU, I would rather we stayed in. But I don't see voters being particularly influenced by universities, Obama, big business etc. Most people already have a clear idea on where they stand, and won't be convinced by others. I think the main reason we'll stay in is that people will not want to jeopardise a strong economic and political position on the grounds of a debateable notion of reclaiming sovereignty and the tenuous idea of a free-trade agreement with the commonwealth.
Original post by tengentoppa
I think the main reason we'll stay in is that people will not want to jeopardise a strong economic and political position on the grounds of a debateable notion of reclaiming sovereignty and the tenuous idea of a free-trade agreement with the commonwealth.

I suspect that as well. If Euroskeptics can't promote a workable, coherent alternative, lots of people will vote to stay in the EU. Undecided voters may vote to keep the status quo just to be safe, even if they themselves have significant issues with the EU as it stands.

That almost certainly affected the Scotland referendum as well - e.g. disputes about currency.
Makes sense, they have a vested interest in continuing to receive EU grants and subsidies and large amounts of money from EU International students for their tuition fees.

Doesn't mean squat.
Reply 4
So why have British universities dropped in the world university rankings?

If we were out of the EU, is that really going to stop people from other European countries studying here?
Original post by HolyJam
So why have British universities dropped in the world university rankings?

If we were out of the EU, is that really going to stop people from other European countries studying here?

Probably, yes. One of the big reasons there are a lot EU students here is because of the relaxed immigration and international study rules. But now the government has introduced a lot of pretty harsh international study rules (can't stay in the UK after course ends, can't work while studying etc), we're going to lose a lot of international students. If we leave the EU, European students will then come under those same harsh visa restrictions, and we'll lose them as well.
Original post by pauly9090
Probably, yes. One of the big reasons there are a lot EU students here is because of the relaxed immigration and international study rules. But now the government has introduced a lot of pretty harsh international study rules (can't stay in the UK after course ends, can't work while studying etc), we're going to lose a lot of international students. If we leave the EU, European students will then come under those same harsh visa restrictions, and we'll lose them as well.

Nah, it won't make much difference to EU students. If they want to study full-time as a student at a UK uni, they will. It's already a huge deal to up sticks and go to uni in a different country, obtaining a visa is going to be the least of their worries and is only a small barrier compared to all the others (moving abroad for years, language barrier, cultural differences etc).

EU students studying in the UK for their whole degree is a fairly recent thing because they want to master English and get a degree at the same time. Open borders have been a thing for decades - that tells you something. Plus, if we do lose EU students it's no big deal tbh.
Original post by Friar Chris
Makes sense, they have a vested interest in continuing to receive EU grants and subsidies and large amounts of money from EU International students for their tuition fees.

Doesn't mean squat.

This, not sure why publicly declaring a vested interest should be surprising or influential.

University level education and institutions benefit from the EU, but unfortunately the issues are bigger than that and it doesn't seem like the EU has helped the university fee scandal much.

Original post by Fizzel
As has been said, all this so called supporting organisations and people like Obama, are just pointless in the discussion. They have their own interests which are served with the UK in the EU.

I think we should stay in however its disingenuous to suggest that the interests of big business, foreign politicians and organisations benefiting from EU grants and subsidies are common with those of the man in the street.

Out of rep but a refreshingly balanced perspective.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending