The Student Room Group

I wish I could study at the UNI with better quality

Hey guys, I study medicine (don´t want to say where, but it´s not in the UK), but after first year I´m surely sure that I want to quit and start studying in the UK. At the moment I´m working on my UKCAT and I don´t know anyone who could help me. So please, can you recommend me some books, exercises or anything just to improve my result.

And another thing is PS. I´m quite confused how to write it, because each UNI has different conditions. After reading few examples I ended up with no idea how to finish my PS. Do you think that it´s the best way to just properly explain why I want to be a doctor?

Scroll to see replies

you need work experience and talk about your work experience in your PS, but cant you transfer? they would probably find it weird that you dropped out and want to start the same course again..
Although this doesn't answer your question, I do want to mention one thing that's quite important. CHECK with the medical schools to which you wish to apply, to ensure that they will accept someone who has previously attended and dropped a Medicine course. You don't want to drop out only to find that you can't get a place anywhere else
Reply 3
I know it sound like a crazy idea. But trust me, the quality of medicine courses is really better in the UK. If it was not like that I would never risk a chance of becoming a doctor in different country. Thank you for your advises. Glad I have some work experiences. I hope that I will have a chance to explain why I decided to drop out and hopefully it will be acceptable.
Reply 4
Original post by Ticher
I know it sound like a crazy idea. But trust me, the quality of medicine courses is really better in the UK. If it was not like that I would never risk a chance of becoming a doctor in different country. Thank you for your advises. Glad I have some work experiences. I hope that I will have a chance to explain why I decided to drop out and hopefully it will be acceptable.

It won't be. Check with each medical school directly before you even think about dropping out. If you drop out first and ask questions later things are guaranteed to go badly for you.
Original post by Ronove
It won't be. Check with each medical school directly before you even think about dropping out. If you drop out first and ask questions later things are guaranteed to go badly for you.

This.

Additionally, you presumably have checked that the GMC accepts your international medical degree course / university ? If your current course is of an acceptable standard (in the eyes of the GMC), it's a good indicator that the medical school is not too bad.

If, on the other hand, it is not on the list, then that is more worrying. (Especially if you were planning on working in the UK in the future)
(edited 8 years ago)
Stick at it, it's harder to get into UK med schools. Many foreign doctors practise here
Reply 7
Original post by Cold Phoenix
Stick at it, it's harder to get into UK med schools. Many foreign doctors practise here

You cannot say it is harder to get into UK med schools when the OP hasn't said where they're studying.
Original post by Ronove
You cannot say it is harder to get into UK med schools when the OP hasn't said where they're studying.

Lets get real, he's studying in an Eastern European country like Bulgaria its piss easy to get in.
US and UK are hard, anywhere else doesn't compare
Reply 9
Lets get real, he's studying in an Eastern European country like Bulgaria its piss easy to get in.

If they wrote like a native speaker of English I would agree. They don't.

You have absolutely no idea about the application processes of at least 90% of the 'anywhere else' you speak of. Don't be ignorant.
Original post by Ronove
If they wrote like a native speaker of English I would agree. They don't.

You have absolutely no idea about the application processes of at least 90% of the 'anywhere else' you speak of. Don't be ignorant.

Many natives study abroad, it's not too big of deal. I highly suspect he's a UK national studying abroad

Not ignorant
Reply 11
Many natives study abroad, it's not too big of deal.

I am well aware. This is not relevant to my post. Did you read the post you are replying to?

I highly suspect he's a UK national studying abroad

I suspect they are not a UK national studying abroad, for the reason I gave in my post. Did you read the post you are replying to?

Not ignorant

You have thus far done nothing to support that idea, and a few things to discredit it.
Original post by Ronove
I am well aware. This is not relevant to my post. Did you read the post you are replying to?

I suspect they are not a UK national studying abroad, for the reason I gave in my post. Did you read the post you are replying to?

You have thus far done nothing to support that idea, and a few things to discredit it.

Stop making big deal out of it do you study abroad too? Probably yes

IIRC she studies in Denmark (feel free to correct me!) where it is arguably harder than the UK to get a place at medical school, so stop being such a dick.
Original post by MJK91
IIRC she studies in Denmark (feel free to correct me!) where it is arguably harder than the UK to get a place at medical school, so stop being such a dick.

I didn't argue that point after she corrected me, dick.
I didn't argue that point after she corrected me, dick.

Hmm...

Sure sounds like you're asserting she has a bias towards international entry because you assumed she was studying in a Eastern European country...
[QUOTE=Cold Phoenix;58060547]Lets get real, he's studying in an Eastern European country like Bulgaria its piss easy to get in.

Uh...... no.

The ignorance on TSR never fails to amaze me
Original post by MJK91
Hmm...

Sure sounds like you're asserting she has a bias towards international entry because you assumed she was studying in a Eastern European country...

I didn't assume Eastern European, I assumed abroad. It's not your argument stay out of it. Why do ppl like coming in the middle of arguments!!!!!!!
I didn't assume Eastern European, I assumed abroad. It's not your argument stay out of it. Why do ppl like coming in the middle of arguments!!!!!!!

Sure, OK. Well that's good because it would have been very silly to assume things about people you don't know, wouldn't it?

BTW not your argument, it's a public forum. Thanks for your thoughts, but I'll stick around.
Reply 19

'Stop making a big deal out of it, let me make my baseless assertions in peace'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending