The Student Room Group

Going to university without parents permission?

What things are absolutely essential to take with me? How much money will I need? and will I be able to get the maintenance loan without my parents backing me? Also can my parents report me missing? and if so, should I inform the police before leaving?

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Assuming you will be 18 when you attend university you don't need their permission.
You don't need you're parents backing when applying to SFE unless you applying for income based maintenance grant. (They need evidence of payslips etc).

The amount of money you needs depends on where you go. I would look at accommodation costs (They range from £3500 - £5000+ for halls) and look into a weekly budget you need. I lived of £30 a week for food and going out. You could also get a part time job when you're at university.

They could report you missing but maybe leave them a note about that's where you're going. They can't do anything about it once you're there. Like I said at 18 you're legally an adult.

Why would your parents not let you go to university?
Reply 2
Original post by KQuick
Assuming you will be 18 when you attend university you don't need their permission.
You don't need you're parents backing when applying to SFE unless you applying for income based maintenance grant. (They need evidence of payslips etc).

The amount of money you needs depends on where you go. I would look at accommodation costs (They range from £3500 - £5000+ for halls) and look into a weekly budget you need. I lived of £30 a week for food and going out. You could also get a part time job when you're at university.

They could report you missing but maybe leave them a note about that's where you're going. They can't do anything about it once you're there. Like I said at 18 you're legally an adult.

Why would your parents not let you go to university?

I come from a very conservative Asian family who don't let their girls go to university or do much of anything :/
Original post by wanweird
I come from a very conservative Asian family who don't let their girls go to university or do much of anything :/

I respect your decision to do this, but make sure you're prepared. Look at how much student finance you'll be entitled to, how much your accommodation will cost etc. If you contact your university about your situation they may be able to help.
Think about your family's reaction - they can't legally drag you home but there may be some consequences.
What things are absolutely essential to take with me? How much money will I need? and will I be able to get the maintenance loan without my parents backing me? Also can my parents report me missing? and if so, should I inform the police before leaving?

Thanks in advance

As previously mentioned, you are over 18 so I doubt they'd be able to do anything. Financially, you'll be able to get a maintenance loan, however without your parent's financial information, it'll be hard for you to get a maintenance grant which (for some people I know) can be up to £3500.

It's possible to leave and go to uni without your parent's consent/help but it's extremely difficult. Yes you can get a part time job, but bare in mind that most university halls cost between £90-£140 per week and my maintenance loan never even covered the cost of my accommodation :rolleyes:. The other option would be to go for private renting, which in most cases is much cheaper.

My advice would be to try once more to convince your parents. I'm sure they have their reasons, but going to uni is a privilege many people do not have!
Reply 5

Oh, ok. :frown: Well I'm really sorry you have to deal with that. It's really hard not to have your parents support. I would say try talking to them but obviously you know your parents better than anyone. However do try. There may be some sort of compromise you could all come up with. You never know until you ask.
Do you have a teacher that could maybe help? Just having an adult that is supporting you will be very helpful.

Make sure you are prepared, save up as much money as you can. Especially if you're doing this alone. Again try and find someone like a teacher/advisor/other family member that will support you.

Also think about the consequences this will have with your family. If there is a chance they would cut ties with you (and I really hope they wouldn't) you need to be sure you can handle that. However If they won't allow you to go to university because you're a girl that's awful and really they need to realise that's not how society works. If you want to go and get an education then you go for it.
Reply 6
They won't report you missing as the police would be EXTREMELY pissed off with time wasters reporting their kid missing when they know they are at uni. They could face legal consequences.

Yes you can get all that stuff as an independent person. Call up the advice line and talk it all out. It won't be as hard as you think - I had no financial support at uni. I worked my way through it and my life wasn't much different to the people I went with.
Reply 7
Original post by LeBron96
As previously mentioned, you are over 18 so I doubt they'd be able to do anything. Financially, you'll be able to get a maintenance loan, however without your parent's financial information, it'll be hard for you to get a maintenance grant which (for some people I know) can be up to £3500.

It's possible to leave and go to uni without your parent's consent/help but it's extremely difficult. Yes you can get a part time job, but bare in mind that most university halls cost between £90-£140 per week and my maintenance loan never even covered the cost of my accommodation :rolleyes:. The other option would be to go for private renting, which in most cases is much cheaper.

My advice would be to try once more to convince your parents. I'm sure they have their reasons, but going to uni is a privilege many people do not have!

I disagree all of this was automatically covered when I went. My parents paid for literally nothing..it's perfectly doable. Just call and find out exactly what you're entitled to.

Thanks in advance

Just wondering - have you applied/are you starting this September? Or have you chosen a University? If you are really worried about finances, I'd say to avoid London (unless you can commute from home) because it is less affordable than most other places really.

Would your parents accept you commuting to University but living at home? That could be a compromise :smile:

However, don't let them stop you getting the education you want, because at the end of the day it's going to affect your life a lot more than theirs. Good luck!
Original post by AvaAdore
I disagree all of this was automatically covered when I went. My parents paid for literally nothing..it's perfectly doable. Just call and find out exactly what you're entitled to.

Most people I know don't have their parents pay for anything either. If you read carefully, I mentioned that this may not be possible if they don't send their financial information off to SFE, meaning you're not able to get as much as you're entitled...
Reply 10
Original post by LeBron96

Thanks for your advice :smile: and I've been trying to convince them for years now and its always backfired but I'm okay with that now. I just need to know what my options are and move out as soon as I can
Reply 11
They won't report you missing as the police would be EXTREMELY pissed off with time wasters reporting their kid missing when they know they are at uni. They could face legal consequences.

Yes you can get all that stuff as an independent person. Call up the advice line and talk it all out. It won't be as hard as you think - I had no financial support at uni. I worked my way through it and my life wasn't much different to the people I went with.

ah okay, thank you and if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you get any financial support?
Reply 12
Original post by KQuick
Oh, ok. :frown: Well I'm really sorry you have to deal with that. It's really hard not to have your parents support. I would say try talking to them but obviously you know your parents better than anyone. However do try. There may be some sort of compromise you could all come up with. You never know until you ask.
Do you have a teacher that could maybe help? Just having an adult that is supporting you will be very helpful.

Make sure you are prepared, save up as much money as you can. Especially if you're doing this alone. Again try and find someone like a teacher/advisor/other family member that will support you.

Also think about the consequences this will have with your family. If there is a chance they would cut ties with you (and I really hope they wouldn't) you need to be sure you can handle that. However If they won't allow you to go to university because you're a girl that's awful and really they need to realise that's not how society works. If you want to go and get an education then you go for it.

I can't get a teacher involved as they get social services involved as well, and I don't need/want that
Reply 13

Thanks in advance

You'd be an adult so just go.
Tough one, you've obviously considered the financial implications & the emotional impact going will have on you. Have you thought about how you're going to get everything you need & want to uni? Obviously bedding & household things can be bought once you're at uni but packing & transporting other stuff is going to need working out. Do you have any friends who could help you?
The financial proof they want from parents is their p60 form or payslips if working, and entitlement letters if on benefits. If you're organising your student finance, there is a log in section for "supporting parents" and you can gather the information you need to fill everything in yourself. Locate the required documents and send it to them without your parents knowing if that's one of your only choices. It gets trickier if the parent hasnt got payslips or p60 for you to find at home because they'd then need to request a copy from their employer, some who charge £10 for copies. You could ring student finance and ask if they can assess your claim as an independent, but they'd definately need proof of your financial and emotional separation such as a police or counsellor letter before considering it. Living in halls is going to be the easiest thing for you to do, but even that would need the full student grants and loans to fund unless you find a part-time job instead. You definately deserve to go to uni and you should go for it, your family have no right to control and ruin your life, don't let them.

You worked your way through University? How did you earn 9,000+ a year?
You can inform the police (on a NON-emergency number like 101) before you leave, or you can inform your family in a note or text. If they contacted the police, the police would ask you if you're okay, and then contact your family to say "we've spoken to her, she's safe and doesn't want to contact you". They won't get into trouble by the police if they genuinely thought you vanished, and if they know you're fine at uni and still call the police the police would say "she's fine, she's 18, bye" informatively, (noone will get into trouble for "fake reporting" without warnings first, and the police are going to be on your side and passive in terms of just saying "there's no issue here").

The things you can take will be physically limited to how much you can carry. Anything you take would save money on having to buy it later, but there's nothing that is terribly essential, it's just handy to have your toiletries, clothes, favourite shoes, laptop and phone charger, all your documents like birth certificate, passport, provisional license, gcse and a level certificates
Original post by bailfire
You worked your way through University? How did you earn 9,000+ a year?

I still had a tuition loan :/ just no financial support. I needed to work.
ah okay, thank you and if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you get any financial support?

My parents cut me off - please don't get me wrong, they were very loving and they cut me off for good reasons, I was a drug addict, they didn't think I should go to uni and not treatment, they were right. Uni took me four years unfortunately. You need to find out exactly what you can do and plan out your financial situation. Message me if you need advice with the specifics - obviously it's been a few years since I've applied for this stuff so I'll look into my files :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending