The Student Room Group

Graduate Schemes in Statistics / Data Science

I am going to start my masters in Econometrics next year. While I would eventually like to pursue a PhD, I would like to gain some industry experience first to be clear on whether I want to go down the PhD route.

For this reason I am trying to find graduate schemes in statistics / data science. However, the search proves harder than I thought. Given the current boom in Data Science, I would have thought there would be lots of opportunities. However, the only one I could find so far is the government statistician fas track.

Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
I know this is mostly maths-related, but you might find a couple of things of interest here: http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/Maths.htm
Original post by Chr0n
I am going to start my masters in Econometrics next year. While I would eventually like to pursue a PhD, I would like to gain some industry experience first to be clear on whether I want to go down the PhD route.

For this reason I am trying to find graduate schemes in statistics / data science. However, the search proves harder than I thought. Given the current boom in Data Science, I would have thought there would be lots of opportunities. However, the only one I could find so far is the government statistician fas track.

Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:

Where are you looking? Data Science is mainly a big thing only in big companies. That's where you need to apply.
Reply 3
Original post by Juichiro
Where are you looking? Data Science is mainly a big thing only in big companies. That's where you need to apply.

Indeed, that is part of the problem. The big companies usually require a PhD for Data Science related roles.
Original post by Chr0n
Indeed, that is part of the problem. The big companies usually require a PhD for Data Science related roles.

Try to get into a Data Analyst position. That's more common. It won't be as cool as Data Science but it will probably be a way to gain relevant experience.
Reply 5
Original post by Juichiro
Try to get into a Data Analyst position. That's more common. It won't be as cool as Data Science but it will probably be a way to gain relevant experience.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into that.
Reply 6
Mate, check this out: https://www.siliconmilkroundabout.com/

Its an event where you can meet firms hiring for tech roles (a lot of them in the realm of data science) and I believe some of them are taking in grads.

Quick Reply