The Student Room Group

Opinions on immigration?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by catscatscats
Or you know... maybe you could just have a criminal check and determine if they have a genuine reason to be here.

a) It's a complete difference in culture.
b) Potential risk, no potential gain over others.
c) I'm blatantly also a filthy racist.
Original post by ivybridge
Well, kind of. The size and so on of the country for one. That's taking two lots of England and cramming it into a small country with already 23 odd million people.

Plenty of room for everybody.

Australia is relatively the same size as America or just a couple countries short of Europe.

America's population comes in around 320 million whilst Europe is about 750 million so yes, I'd say there is plenty of room in Australia for 100 million African immigrants.

In fact, you could treble that and still have enough room.
Original post by footstool1924
Plenty of room for everybody.

Australia is relatively the same size as America or just a couple countries short of Europe.

America's population comes in around 320 million whilst Europe is about 750 million so yes, I'd say there is plenty of room in Australia for 100 million African immigrants.

In fact, you could treble that and still have enough room.

Australia is 2.165 km squared less than America.
Original post by ivybridge
Australia is 2.165 km squared less than America.

Yes, and it has 300 million less people...
Yes, and it has 300 million less people...

And also 95% less arable land as the majority of it is desert.

Sorry, ignore me. Forgot logic is banned on this forum.
Original post by SotonianOne
And also 95% less arable land as the majority of it is desert.

Sorry, ignore me. Forgot logic is banned on this forum.

And presumably all immigrants to Australia go there to be farmers...

Sorry, ignore me. Forgot foresight is lacking in certain users.
And presumably all immigrants to Australia go there to be farmers...

Sorry, ignore me. Forgot foresight is lacking in certain users.

No but the country certainly doesn't have enough land to house 10 million more people let alone a hundred.
No but the country certainly doesn't have enough land to house 10 million more people let alone a hundred.

But if only 5% of the land is arable, as you yourself have stated, that leaves 95% of it "unusable". Factor in 25% of it for mining and other purposes (even that is very very high), then we have 70% of Australian land utterly and totally free to build whatever goddamn monstrosity you feel like building, no?
But if only 5% of the land is arable, as you yourself have stated, that leaves 95% of it "unusable". Factor in 25% of it for mining and other purposes (even that is very very high), then we have 70% of Australian land utterly and totally free to build whatever goddamn monstrosity you feel like building, no?

Perhaps you should become a scientist and solve the millennium-long question of how to build on sand, and we'll start moving people in.

While at this, try to figure out ways in which we can minimise the cost of delivering water, gas and electricity to those homes without running into millions.
Original post by catscatscats
For context, I live in an area where about 75% population in the ward are immigrants so i have seen a direct impact upon the environment. My parents immigrated to Britain from Asia in the 1980s, so i'm most definitely not against immigration or of the belief that there should be zero immigration. However, in my opinion, the number of people immigrating and settling in Britain should be reduced. I feel that the current level of immigration is unsustainable, and imo it will decrease the quality of life and is just going to create more tensions.

I would like the hear other people's views on this.
Opinions? Thoughts?

Go learn your own history. You're a child of an immigrant yourself.

your queen is a german descendant.
the cars you drive are italian, german etc
nhs ran by immigrants,
most of your food veg and fruit are imported from 'immigrant lands'

but you're obviously not an immigrant. obviously. thick bastarrd
Original post by sanz ali

nhs ran by immigrants,

why aren't you deported?
why aren't you deported?

ask your mum, helped with my visa
So, should everyone then stay in their own countries like British people in Britain, Germans in Germany, French people in France, Africans in Africa or what?

I do realise that immigration is increasing and we do need to control it but I am in favour of it, if that makes sense.
ask your mum, helped with my visa

funny you
Original post by 08Mercyf
So, should everyone then stay in their own countries like British people in Britain, Germans in Germany, French people in France, Africans in Africa or what?

I do realise that immigration is increasing and we do need to control it but I am in favour of it, if that makes sense.

No, British, Germans, French, Anglosphere in Britain.

Africa in Africa. Or Middle East.

nhs ran by immigrants,

top lel try harder.

What does world trade and the fact that there are already immigrants have to do with having reasonable restrictions on migration? I can do what you do too... Jaguar cars are sold in Korea, Brazilians play Association football, Thai people listen to Ed Sheeran, Britain sells pharmaceuticals to India.
No, British, Germans, French, Anglosphere in Britain.

Africa in Africa. Or Middle East.

That is not a pleasant thing to say, offended.

If one is suffering in their homeland they deserve better.

No, if they have the high quality skills and qualifications they should be able to work here.
I'm of the opinion that we should simply have a smaller number.

That is not a pleasant thing to say, offended.

If one is suffering in their homeland they deserve better.

By coming to our homeland and demanding Sharia law? There's a huge minority who do that.

We have no where near enough resources to give every African a good life in Britain.
20000 - for asylum seekers from genuinely disadvantaged war-stricken places.
Anyone coming from France blacklisted and deported. They're not genuine asylum seekers.
60000 - points system.

Also emigration tax for under 35s or anyone who hasn't put 6/7 years of tax into the system who want to live in a high GDP country. I.E America or Canada or Australia.

With Corbyn and his high tax, lax immigration policies. I see many top earners leaving being replaced with Hamas and Palestinians.
What's the point of middle earners paying tax when the government is constantly allowing and will always allow 'vulnerable' MW workers who need to be housed and fed by the state.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending