The Student Room Group

Opinions on Trident?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GnomeMage
But its quite easy to just insult outright.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He lost me when he played the 'Scotland's treated like second class citiziens ' comment.

I've never been treated as a second class Citizien.

Our SNP fri nods always like to ignor places like Alsermaston, devonport etc. always better they feel to portray a sense of victimhood.
A necessary evil in a world we can't predict or control. I'm all for downsizing, however, to a lower level of continuous at sea deterrence.

For the people saying Trident isn't independent, you should know that once the missiles are in British hands they are entirely under our own control. Our own warheads, our own launch systems. The satellites argument is pointless as they use inertial navigation, not GPS.
Original post by MatureStudent36
A very good documentary. I promise you will not be disappointed, just a historical character talking about his life.

The Americans never used napalm on Japanese cities. It was the wrong type of weapon when phosphorous was a better choice for high level delivery, but that's by the by as I know what point you're trying to make.

The use of the A bombs at the time was never really controversial.

It was estimated that the U.S. And its allies would've had to absorb and estimated half a million casualties in a ground invasion of Japan.

Concerns of Japan's use of biological or chemical weapons against mainland America was also a concern.

If you've got the ability to shorten a war then why not take it. Trumans responsibility lay with the American people, not the Japanese people.

I don't doubt that Americans saw Japanese as vermin. But that's a by product of being attacked without warning, fighting an enemy that doesn't play by the rules of war and mistreats your service personnel that it's captured.

Thisss. I agree tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
A very good documentary. I promise you will not be disappointed, just a historical character talking about his life.

The Americans never used napalm on Japanese cities. It was the wrong type of weapon when phosphorous was a better choice for high level delivery, but that's by the by as I know what point you're trying to make.

As you say, not entirely critical to the point, but here napalm is cited as a component of the bombing of Tokyo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

The use of the A bombs at the time was never really controversial.

Many people in the USA and in the world in general were grossly misinformed about the impact of the radiation. Many of the physicists involved in the development of the bomb petitioned for it not to be used after deducing the impact it would have. The military effectively censured them to ensure little was put before congress. Congress were told, in fact, that it was "a very pleasant was to die" by senior military.

The general public, desensitised to mass-slaughter, saw the headline figures of numbers killed in the initial blast and saw no reason to suspect the true horrors that were being witnessed on the ground. Meanwhile information that could have saved lives was withheld for propaganda reasons, with many dying despite not being even in the city at the time because they returned afterwards... Tens of thousands, if not more, died in truly agonising ways.

The public may not have been horrified, but it would have been.

It was estimated that the U.S. And its allies would've had to absorb and estimated half a million casualties in a ground invasion of Japan.

Concerns of Japan's use of biological or chemical weapons against mainland America was also a concern.

If you've got the ability to shorten a war then why not take it. Trumans responsibility lay with the American people, not the Japanese people.

The Japanese were seeking negotiations for peace with USA well before the bomb was dropped. They couldn't get anyone to the negotiating table, because the US was only interested in unconditional surrender, not negotiated peace. Stubbornness? Yes. Justification for the abhorrent loss of life? No.

Senior army figures, when told that dropping the bomb might not be necessary, instructed it be dropped anyway, to "show the Russians."

I don't doubt that Americans saw Japanese as vermin. But that's a by product of being attacked without warning, fighting an enemy that doesn't play by the rules of war and mistreats your service personnel that it's captured.

True, but the US army had been investigating the possibility of annihilating Tokyo as early as 1923. The depth of feeling against Japan was understandible, but it was in surprising contrast with the much more favourable way Germans were considered.

The evils perpetrated in Europe were attributed to "the Nazis" as opposed to Germans, whilst Japanese citizens were considered to be undesirable as an entire race. American-Japanese US citizens were rounded up and put in prison camps because "a viper is still a viper wherever the egg is hatched", according to the LA Times.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
image.jpg
Original post by Drewski
A necessary evil in a world we can't predict or control. I'm all for downsizing, however, to a lower level of continuous at sea deterrence.

For the people saying Trident isn't independent, you should know that once the missiles are in British hands they are entirely under our own control. Our own warheads, our own launch systems. The satellites argument is pointless as they use inertial navigation, not GPS.

4 subs is the minimum number needed to maintain CASD, with three you risk not being able to keep this up. And there is no alternative to CASD, whilst we have a nuclear deterrent, this posture needs to retained
Of course it should be scrapped, I mean seriously, WHY THE FU CK do we have nuclear weapons?? When would we ever use them and why? They would kill many innocent civilians.

It is madness having nuclear weapons.
Reply 67
It's an obscene creation and I want an independent Scotland free of it. England can do what they wish, but I'd rather they - and everyone - scrapped it.
Original post by Harpoon
4 subs is the minimum number needed to maintain CASD, with three you risk not being able to keep this up. And there is no alternative to CASD, whilst we have a nuclear deterrent, this posture needs to retained

As in fewer missiles, fewer warheads, consequently smaller subs, etc.
Original post by MFBurgh
It's an obscene creation and I want an independent Scotland free of it. England can do what they wish, but I'd rather they - and everyone - scrapped it.

Just saying you know if England keep the nukes what happens if they use it on Scotland? At least if Scotland keeps it you get the final say on when or who to use it on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Just saying you know if England keep the nukes what happens if they use it on Scotland? At least if Scotland keeps it you get the final say on when or who to use it on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, they wouldn't use it on Scotland, for a start, and if they did they'd likely wipe themselves out too.
Original post by MFBurgh
Well, they wouldn't use it on Scotland, for a start, and if they did they'd likely wipe themselves out too.

They might if more of you vote for snp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
They might if more of you vote for snp

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say it's unlikely.
Original post by Drewski
As in fewer missiles, fewer warheads, consequently smaller subs, etc.

Ah ok, I understand you. I reckon with Successor, we will see the number of missiles reduced, maybe keeping the capacity for the same amount of warheads but realisticly with a reduced number of those as well
Original post by offhegoes
As you say, not entirely critical to the point, but here napalm is cited as a component of the bombing of Tokyo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

Many people in the USA and in the world in general were grossly misinformed about the impact of the radiation. Many of the physicists involved in the development of the bomb petitioned for it not to be used after deducing the impact it would have. The military effectively censured them to ensure little was put before congress. Congress were told, in fact, that it was "a very pleasant was to die" by senior military.

The general public, desensitised to mass-slaughter, saw the headline figures of numbers killed in the initial blast and saw no reason to suspect the true horrors that were being witnessed on the ground. Meanwhile information that could have saved lives was withheld for propaganda reasons, with many dying despite not being even in the city at the time because they returned afterwards... Tens of thousands, if not more, died in truly agonising ways.

The public may not have been horrified, but it would have been.

The Japanese were seeking negotiations for peace with USA well before the bomb was dropped. They couldn't get anyone to the negotiating table, because the US was only interested in unconditional surrender, not negotiated peace. Stubbornness? Yes. Justification for the abhorrent loss of life? No.

Senior army figures, when told that dropping the bomb might not be necessary, instructed it be dropped anyway, to "show the Russians."

True, but the US army had been investigating the possibility of annihilating Tokyo as early as 1923. The depth of feeling against Japan was understandible, but it was in surprising contrast with the much more favourable way Germans were considered.

The evils perpetrated in Europe were attributed to "the Nazis" as opposed to Germans, whilst Japanese citizens were considered to be undesirable as an entire race. American-Japanese US citizens were rounded up and put in prison camps because "a viper is still a viper wherever the egg is hatched", according to the LA Times.

Certain elements of the Japanese government were may have been asking for peace talks but they weren't the ones able to influence the outcome of that. The same elements for example didn't want a strike against pearl harbour, wanted peace after pearl harbour etc etc. in fact if you look hard enough you'll find groupings of people with a whole host of different opinions and desires. Any of which can be interpreted whichever way you want. I've seen Euchamns involvement of trying to swap 10,000 Hungarian Jews with the allies for tricks to be used on the eastern front as proof that the nazis weren't really involved in the holocaust.

So I don't doubt that some people who had very little if no influence in the decision making process may feel one thing, the Simeon fact is that the policy makers in the area, Le May, Truman, Marshall, Nimitz, Macarthy etc saw the use of the bomb as critical for the success of the wars end.

We do however know that the two bombs that were droppe didn't lay waste to Nagasaki or Hiroshima. Those cities are still here with people living at those locations. What we do know however is that their use has educated the civilised parts of the world into the knowledge that the use of nuclear weapons is a force multiplier and their damage does not repeat victor or looser.

The evils of the nazis has been apportioned to the nazis post war. At the time, and for some time fatter the actions of the Germans was synonymous with the nazis.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Crb822
In my opinion, getting rid of trident would remove our only deterrent and open us up for invasion. All those lefties who think that they can make a perfect world irritate me.

Original post by caravaggio2
MAD kept the peace for 60 yrs. Perhaps the prospect of the likes of Iran becoming a nuclear power means it isn't the time to ditch it.

Original post by YoudBeSurprised
Britain's already been invaded you just don't know it.

If this is about Russia you can't really think they are in a position to invade Britain?

By the way Britain are helping train Ukraine troops just like they're training what they claim to be moderates in Syria. Ukraine's forces have killed many civilians and forced up to a million to flee the country with many heading to Russia for safety according to the UN themselves.

British should be ashamed of themselves for what they're doing.

Don't be a patriotard Britain are in on causing this mess along with America.

Original post by driftawaay
I havent really looked into the whole nuclear weapons issue to have an informed opinion. But if a nuclear weapon wiped out the entire planet tomorrow, none of us would be alive to be bothered by it, so it really doesnt matter either way.

Get rid. Monumental waste of money. But more to the point, I dislike being a citizen of a country that possess one of the horsemen of the apocalypse.

Referendum?

Bomb us then.

Forget the toys...they shouldve been put away long ago.

They can threaten us with nuclear but they cant stop our spirit.

And if it became the case we had no weapons to match theirs we wouldnt wana be in that world anyways.
Reply 76
Certain elements of the Japanese government were may have been asking for peace talks but they weren't the ones able to influence the outcome of that. The same elements for example didn't want a strike against pearl harbour, wanted peace after pearl harbour etc etc. in fact if you look hard enough you'll find groupings of people with a whole host of different opinions and desires. Any of which can be interpreted whichever way you want. I've seen Euchamns involvement of trying to swap 10,000 Hungarian Jews with the allies for tricks to be used on the eastern front as proof that the nazis weren't really involved in the holocaust.

So I don't doubt that some people who had very little if no influence in the decision making process may feel one thing, the Simeon fact is that the policy makers in the area, Le May, Truman, Marshall, Nimitz, Macarthy etc saw the use of the bomb as critical for the success of the wars end.

We do however know that the two bombs that were droppe didn't lay waste to Nagasaki or Hiroshima. Those cities are still here with people living at those locations. What we do know however is that their use has educated the civilised parts of the world into the knowledge that the use of nuclear weapons is a force multiplier and their damage does not repeat victor or looser.

The evils of the nazis has been apportioned to the nazis post war. At the time, and for some time fatter the actions of the Germans was synonymous with the nazis.

Okay I take your point about whether or not those attempting to begin negotiating were in a position to make that call, although the Japanese Cabinet did approve approaches to the US via Russia, which were ultimately dismissed by the Russians.

But, and at this point I'm speculating, I don't think the US or any other Allied power did anything like enough to attempt to end the conflict prior to the bomb being dropped. The US waiting an entire single day after Russia formally declared it was joining the fight against Japan before dropping the first bomb.

We also have to be clear here on what the US actually wanted - to reduce the loss of life and end the war, or to end the war with significant strategic advantage? From the quotes of a number of the key policy makers you mentioned it sounds like the bomb was going to be dropped regardless...

And as for the lessons learnt. Well, to a point perhaps the horrors of those two cities have served as a reminder of the destructive power that we need to be careful not to unleash. But yet the US's use of the bomb did far more to legitamise the potential for future usage than anything else could have, given the illegality of chemical and biological weapons yet the "legality" of nuclear. In the same way that the bombing or civilian areas was forced into being not a war crime on the virtue that the Allied powers also were heavily involved in it.
Reply 77
Original post by trustmeimlying1
And if it became the case we had no weapons to match theirs we wouldnt wana be in that world anyways.

Iceland, Norway and Denmark all seem pretty happy without nuclear weapons.
Iceland, Norway and Denmark all seem pretty happy without nuclear weapons.

im on your side too bud.
Reply 79
Original post by trustmeimlying1
im on your side too bud.

Ah, I see. I wasn't sure if I was being agreed with or disagreed with!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending