The Student Room Group

Are there engineering jobs that allow you to travel a lot?

Hey guys! :smile:

I'm starting university in the fall! I'm so excited!

I know it is early to think about this, but are there engineering jobs that involve a lot of travelling around the world? If so, which ones?

If it helps I'm looking to do a degree in Materials Engineering.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Summit
Hey guys! :smile:

I'm starting university in the fall! I'm so excited!

I know it is early to think about this, but are there engineering jobs that involve a lot of travelling around the world? If so, which ones?

If it helps I'm looking to do a degree in Materials Engineering.

Thank you :smile:

Field engineer.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Field engineer.

I tried to research about the job but I couldnt find anything. What does it involve?
Original post by Summit
I tried to research about the job but I couldnt find anything. What does it involve?

Engineering work out in the field, as opposed to, say, the design office or manufacturing facility. For example my old materials lecturer used to sometimes have to go onsite to see and inspect real failures.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
Engineering work out in the field, as opposed to, say, the design office or manufacturing facility. For example my old materials lecturer used to sometimes have to go onsite to see and inspect real failures.

Sounds exactly like my perfect job! What type of locations do field engineers work in mostly? Oil extraction plants in Siberia and the Sahara or even more "welcoming" places? What are salaries like?

Also what about engineering consultancy? Does it involve a lot of travel?
Original post by Summit
Sounds exactly like my perfect job! What type of locations do field engineers work in mostly? Oil extraction plants in Siberia and the Sahara or even more "welcoming" places? What are salaries like?

Can be anywhere. If you're in the oil industry then it would be places where oil is extracted from. If you're working for a company that manufactures, say, nuclear reactors, then it would be where said reactors are getting installed. Basically, you're there to support the customer.

Also what about engineering consultancy? Does it involve a lot of travel?

Depends.
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Can be anywhere. If you're in the oil industry then it would be places where oil is extracted from. If you're working for a company that manufactures, say, nuclear reactors, then it would be where said reactors are getting installed. Basically, you're there to support the customer.

Depends.

Is field engineering deemed as dangerous, due to potential unwelcoming conditions? And what does the amount of travel in engineering consultancy depend on? Sorry for having so many questions!
Original post by Summit
Is field engineering deemed as dangerous, due to potential unwelcoming conditions?

Dunno, I'm not a field engineer.

And what does the amount of travel in engineering consultancy depend on? Sorry for having so many questions!

Well there is no such job or position as "engineering consultancy" so it really depends on the nature of the individual job.

Quick Reply

Latest