The Student Room Group

Racist Muslim gang attack. The word racism 'mysteriously' absent from reports though

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thunder_chunky
And they ought to be tasered.

and hit with a blue chair
Reply 21
Original post by pol pot noodles
If there's an Asian street gang from East London there's a fairly high chance they are Muslim.
While a large percentage of white people in this country are athiest, the vast majority of British Asians are Muslim, they're more devout and Hindus and Sikhs are generally less anti-social and more law abiding. It's an educated guess.

I just think when discussing matters regarding race and religion it isn't fair to make assumptions. Most people who practice Islam are law abiding, and it is often the outliers who commit radical behaviour. By making "guesses", whether they're justified or not, it reinforces racial stereotypes at that point in time. Quite often, other members of the Muslim community are pay the price, or asked to justify the bahaviour, as if the outliers represent the majority and that what they do is an accurate representation/interpretation of the religious text when often it isn't.
I'm by no means justifying the act, please don't misinterpret this; I'm simply saying that by assuming it is a certain sector of society who are already marginalised and regularly suffer the effects of racial stereotypes, we contribute to the problem. As the next generation shouldn't perpetuate these same negative ideals when there is no evidence to substantiate these accusations.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by codegirl
How much longer can the media keep up this charade of omitting the word racism from its reporting when the victims of hate crime are white?

Original post by codegirl
Because the media are using euphemisms like 'unprovoked'. 'Unprovoked' means racist crime against a white person in media speak if the attackers are not white and victim is white.

This euphemism is literally never used if roles are reversed.

Or, unprovoked means: ''carried out, occurring, or acting without direct provocation''.

If I go up to some random person in the street (black or white, male or female, straight or gay, whatever) and punch them 'for ****s and giggles' that would be classified as an unprovoked attack.

If there is evidence that this attack was racially motivated please provide it. Otherwise it should not be considered a racist attack, regardless of whether white on black violence is correctly or incorrectly labelled as racist.

As a side note, do you have any examples of white on black violence that has been labelled as racist even though no evidence of racial motivation has been found?
Oh, dear this is all getting very confusing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending