The Student Room Group

17/struggling to find a job

I'm 17 and I've never had a job before, all my friends make it seem so easy to get one, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult, and people always tell me that it took them so many months/applications to finally get a job...this puts me off even more...as I am entering year 13 I would like a job before I take my a2 exams, but I honestly don't see this happening....can anyone give me some websites to look at which are reliable? some sites I've looked at dont look legit...

also im not looking for something retail specifically..anything will do :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bubblegumcat
I'm 17 and I've never had a job before, all my friends make it seem so easy to get one, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult, and people always tell me that it took them so many months/applications to finally get a job...this puts me off even more...as I am entering year 13 I would like a job before I take my a2 exams, but I honestly don't see this happening....can anyone give me some websites to look at which are reliable? some sites I've looked at dont look legit...

Most sites seem to only advertise the higher up jobs. I would recommend getting out there and stick your foot in every door. If you have to, start by volunteering somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Most sites seem to only advertise the higher up jobs. I would recommend getting out there and stick your foot in every door. If you have to, start by volunteering somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done some volunteering, I'm hoping to do some more at a farm nearby hopefully. and do you mean hand in CV's to different places?
Reply 3
I've done some volunteering, I'm hoping to do some more at a farm nearby hopefully. and do you mean hand in CV's to different places?

Yeah, if you're out shopping stop by customer services and ask if they have any part time jobs - stuff like that. Another one to look out for is Matalan, they tend to employ college students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Yeah, if you're out shopping stop by customer services and ask if they have any part time jobs - stuff like that. Another one to look out for is Matalan, they tend to employ college students

Posted from TSR Mobile

do I need to hand in a cover letter with each CV? i heard some places end up never reading the CV, how do avoid that?
bump
In the same boat here tbh

Gave out CV to a couple places so far, no replies :smile:
IT'S SO HARD, I'm on the same boat. :frown:

Been rejected by everyone because I only have 2 months retail work experience, and my school work experience was at an architects (good to have for future work finding, not useful for finding retail work though).

I'm trying to find more retail work experience (e.g. asking around at different shopping centre shops for 1 or 2 weeks work experience). I'm looking to get some at at least 2 or 3 places.

That way I'll have 3 places of retail experience, 3 references and 3 places to add on my CV. Then hopefully SOMEONE will employ me, ffs.
Reply 8
I currently work at a grocery store full time on the weekdays and at a restaurant as a hostess on the weekends. I am a second year college student in the U.S. and I feel your pain. Although I have those jobs now, believe me, they were not easy to find. Ideally, I wanted to work in a nice retail store such as Banana Republic or Gap, however, with my lack of experience, it was impossible. However, I really put myself out there, I literally found my grocery store job because it was local. I needed to buy groceries one day and discovered the store near my house, and coincidentally, there was a sign that said,"cashier needed." I walked in and talked to the manager, and was hired on the spot. The restaurant job was similar, except that I had no idea whether they were hiring or not. I've learned that it really doesn't hurt to ask, the worst they can say is no. Now I am a hostess there.

My tips for you would be to ask everywhere, and don't be afraid to start in a lower position than you expected. Personality is truly everything, so when you introduce yourself, be yourself, but really put yourself forward. Employers really like an assertive, responsible individual who is humble and willing to learn. Also, cover letter aren't too big of a deal, depending on where you apply. Because for me, I found it so much easier to apply in person. When you talk to the hiring manager in person, most likely they will just want to see a resume. However, the will truly just want to talk to you and know the kind of person you are in real life over reading a printed sheet that lists accomplishments that may or may not truly really the type of person your are. Apply to a lot, so then you'll have a lot of options if you do get some offers. I applied to over 12 before I got these.

Best of luck! I'll be here if you need any advice. :smile:
Reply 9
Make sure your trying to get realistic jobs
Reply 10
do I need to hand in a cover letter with each CV? i heard some places end up never reading the CV, how do avoid that?

Don't really know tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
In the same boat here tbh

Gave out CV to a couple places so far, no replies :smile:

I keep reading that' it's an ineffective way of getting a job, but then people keep telling me to do it ... :s good luck, I hope you get a job :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yellowcopter
IT'S SO HARD, I'm on the same boat. :frown:

Been rejected by everyone because I only have 2 months retail work experience, and my school work experience was at an architects (good to have for future work finding, not useful for finding retail work though).

I'm trying to find more retail work experience (e.g. asking around at different shopping centre shops for 1 or 2 weeks work experience). I'm looking to get some at at least 2 or 3 places.

That way I'll have 3 places of retail experience, 3 references and 3 places to add on my CV. Then hopefully SOMEONE will employ me, ffs.

oh wow.. I only have 1 months retail experience but in a charity shop, apparently still counts though....I probably should focus more on getting some work experience, what places have you been asking? I hope it works out for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S_Wang
I currently work at a grocery store full time on the weekdays and at a restaurant as a hostess on the weekends. I am a second year college student in the U.S. and I feel your pain. Although I have those jobs now, believe me, they were not easy to find. Ideally, I wanted to work in a nice retail store such as Banana Republic or Gap, however, with my lack of experience, it was impossible. However, I really put myself out there, I literally found my grocery store job because it was local. I needed to buy groceries one day and discovered the store near my house, and coincidentally, there was a sign that said,"cashier needed." I walked in and talked to the manager, and was hired on the spot. The restaurant job was similar, except that I had no idea whether they were hiring or not. I've learned that it really doesn't hurt to ask, the worst they can say is no. Now I am a hostess there.

My tips for you would be to ask everywhere, and don't be afraid to start in a lower position than you expected. Personality is truly everything, so when you introduce yourself, be yourself, but really put yourself forward. Employers really like an assertive, responsible individual who is humble and willing to learn. Also, cover letter aren't too big of a deal, depending on where you apply. Because for me, I found it so much easier to apply in person. When you talk to the hiring manager in person, most likely they will just want to see a resume. However, the will truly just want to talk to you and know the kind of person you are in real life over reading a printed sheet that lists accomplishments that may or may not truly really the type of person your are. Apply to a lot, so then you'll have a lot of options if you do get some offers. I applied to over 12 before I got these.

Best of luck! I'll be here if you need any advice. :smile:

thank you :smile: I'm lacking in experience for retail as well, What places hires people without a lot of experience? also was the grocery store a small business? I hear that walking in and asking for vacancies only works in smaller businesses as they don't have online applications

Posted from TSR Mobile
I keep reading that' it's an ineffective way of getting a job, but then people keep telling me to do it ... :s good luck, I hope you get a job :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best way to get a job is through contacts. Yeah, it's quite an innefficient method lol
Thanks, you too!
Reply 15
Same problem here, except I'm 20 and still can't get one because I don't have much experience (just work experience which I've done 3 times) and places seem to want someone who'll stay on for long. I got another rejection today and have basically decided to start volunteering at a charity shop now.
Original post by NOONA.
Same problem here, except I'm 20 and still can't get one because I don't have much experience (just work experience which I've done 3 times) and places seem to want someone who'll stay on for long. I got another rejection today and have basically decided to start volunteering at a charity shop now.

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: what job did you get rejected from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I'm sorry to hear that :frown: what job did you get rejected from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From primark, next and sainsburys so far, but I didn't feel upset about it because its teaching me how to improve and stuff. This was the first time I've looked for jobs as well. You shouldn't feel upset either because its an experience we'll learn from hopefully.
(edited 8 years ago)
oh wow.. I only have 1 months retail experience but in a charity shop, apparently still counts though....I probably should focus more on getting some work experience, what places have you been asking? I hope it works out for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's still great experience! :smile: I suggest you do and I've literally just been asking EVERY shop at my local shopping centre e.g. Topman, H&M, Zara, Urban Outfitters, Boots, Next. So far one or 2 have said they can give experience but prepare to have to ask a hell of a lot of stores before you get any successful ones but if you keep at it you'll find one - finding a jobs hard but experience definitely isn't as hard since it's only a week or two so they don't mind. Thanks and good luck to yourself too! :h:
Original post by NOONA.
From primark, next and sainsburys so far, but I didn't feel upset about it because its teaching me how to improve and stuff. This was the first time I've looked for jobs as well. You shouldn't feel upset either because its an experience we'll learn from hopefully.

oh I'm thinking of applying to next, what was the process like? and I hope things work out for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest