The Student Room Group

17/struggling to find a job

Scroll to see replies

Damn, finding retail jobs are hard. Tesco have rejected me twice already. Online systems are really annoying to use. Going to start handing in my CV into stores from now on. :smile:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

I worked at the colour rush festival (transport was provided ) in Windsor and there were quite a few 17 year olds, but they got paid £5 an hour for a 9-5 shift if that's your sort of cup of tea?

But when you turn 18, I'd be delighted to give you the names of staffing agencies where you can work at festivals and whatnot wihkit having experience beforehand! (Providing that you live in London or Essex)

I live in London, going towards Essex, so any suggestions of places that allow 17 year olds would be perfect thank you. :h:

Online all the places I've seen require 18 or older I'm unsure why. :frown: Never heard of Colour Rush. :tongue:

What was it like working there, was it quite enjoyable?
Original post by yellowcopter
I live in London, going towards Essex, so any suggestions of places that allow 17 year olds would be perfect thank you. :h:

Online all the places I've seen require 18 or older I'm unsure why. :frown: Never heard of Colour Rush. :tongue:

What was it like working there, was it quite enjoyable?

Look it up, it's amazing! I'll be working at the Holi Festival of Colour (which you should also look up too! :lol:) and you'll be able to work there too if you don't mind travelling a little bit.

I'll PM you the agencies I've worked with and have had a good experience with right now.

It was really fun, you make friends really easily! I did bar work at the British Summertime Festival in Hyde Park where I was practically (literally) pouring people beer for a good 8 hours straight. You don't realize time fly though and they provide you with a packed lunch which is nice.
Daamn so you are scrounging on our education system? :eek:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Look it up, it's amazing! I'll be working at the Holi Festival of Colour (which you should also look up too! :lol:) and you'll be able to work there too if you don't mind travelling a little bit.

I'll PM you the agencies I've worked with and have had a good experience with right now.

It was really fun, you make friends really easily! I did bar work at the British Summertime Festival in Hyde Park where I was practically (literally) pouring people beer for a good 8 hours straight. You don't realize time fly though and they provide you with a packed lunch which is nice.

Thanks a lot for the PM and tips! :h:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Damn, finding retail jobs are hard. Tesco have rejected me twice already. Online systems are really annoying to use. Going to start handing in my CV into stores from now on. :smile:

i just applied to 2 tesco jobs...what was the process like? hope it goes well for you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bubblegumcat
i just applied to 2 tesco jobs...what was the process like? hope it goes well for you!

Filled in the online form, waited 3 days, unsuccessful on both :tongue:

Hope you do much better than me :smile:
Original post by yellowcopter
Thanks a lot for the PM and tips! :h:

No problem! :h:
Filled in the online form, waited 3 days, unsuccessful on both :tongue:

Hope you do much better than me :smile:

aw i'm sorry :frown: this is my first time applying for a job so i'm a bit nervous....also i need to ask..I haven't put any references down on my profile for tesco...do i need to do that now or should i wait until they ask? also can other people see my profile...the whole application system for tesco confuses me :/
aw i'm sorry :frown: this is my first time applying for a job so i'm a bit nervous....also i need to ask..I haven't put any references down on my profile for tesco...do i need to do that now or should i wait until they ask? also can other people see my profile...the whole application system for tesco confuses me :/

I put down my references on my profile, even on my CV I have them down already rather than 'available on request'

And no, only the employers can see the profile, it's basically a online CV for Tesco. :smile:
I put down my references on my profile, even on my CV I have them down already rather than 'available on request'

And no, only the employers can see the profile, it's basically a online CV for Tesco. :smile:

ok thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm 17 and I've never had a job before, all my friends make it seem so easy to get one, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult, and people always tell me that it took them so many months/applications to finally get a job...this puts me off even more...as I am entering year 13 I would like a job before I take my a2 exams, but I honestly don't see this happening....can anyone give me some websites to look at which are reliable? some sites I've looked at dont look legit...

also im not looking for something retail specifically..anything will do :smile:

Some companies do friend and family schemes, that's how I got my job.

See if they can sort you out, it would make life a lot easier
Reply 72
I'm 17 and I've never had a job before, all my friends make it seem so easy to get one, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult, and people always tell me that it took them so many months/applications to finally get a job...this puts me off even more...as I am entering year 13 I would like a job before I take my a2 exams, but I honestly don't see this happening....can anyone give me some websites to look at which are reliable? some sites I've looked at dont look legit...

also im not looking for something retail specifically..anything will do :smile:

Refereeing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending