The Student Room Group

Can I pay for university by myself?

Is it possible for me to pay for uni without ANY financial support from my parents? (through student loans, etc.) Or do I NEED some financial support from my parents?
it all depends on if your parents have a low income or not?
My parents have a generally high income but also a lot of bills so could not give me financial support, but because they have a high income, I didn't get a lot of financial support at all. That's why I've decided to put of uni for a few years and maybe go as a mature student.

I'd struggle incredibly and I'd have to work at least 15 hours a week to get by. I didn't want to be a burden on them and constantly ask for money.
Reply 3
Original post by Timlong365
Is it possible for me to pay for uni without ANY financial support from my parents? (through student loans, etc.) Or do I NEED some financial support from my parents?
Yes, its possible. Infact a couple of weeks ago one of the blogs I read ran the sums to see if it was possible to do it without even needing student finance and funded purely from a minimum wage job: Is it possible to finish University debt free?

So I expect it's even easier if you were to use student finance.
Reply 4
If you work during the holidays and perhaps weekends during term time that should be more than enough combined with student finance.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
it all depends on if your parents have a low income or not?

My parent has a taxable income of no more than £45000 but I don't wanna use any of their money.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Timlong365
My parent has a taxable income of around £45000 but I don't wanna use any of their money.

well you d be eligible for a bit over 5k(more in london) i think so i think if you got either a small overdraft or did a small amount of part time work you d manage on your own.
However if you:
go to london
insist on the expensive halls/en suite
drink a lot
struggle to cook then i d say you might find it a little difficult on that amount without a decent overdraft.
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
well you d be eligible for a bit over 5k(more in london) i think so i think if you got either a small overdraft or did a small amount of part time work you d manage on your own.
However if you:
go to london
insist on the expensive halls/en suite
drink a lot
struggle to cook then i d say you might find it a little difficult on that amount without a decent overdraft.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending