The Student Room Group

will we ever stop viewing females as the helpless sex?

After watching the new Mad Max the female heroins for me did not necessarily ruin the movie, it definitely did change the tone especially as it was quite a big change from part 1 and 2 were the solo hero was male here in the reboot max is somewhat vulnerable and the females are portrayed as strong fighters. At first I thought this was the influence of feminism within the movie industry and it was bad. However, now I see this in a new light and think this may be the way forward to not treating women in real life as helpless damsels and I think this is a good thing not just for while society but especially for women. It's time we viewed women as a sex that can look after themselves and take responsibility. Even if there are women who cannot do this, let's judge people as individuals and not based on their sex.

Do you think there would be such a day were women are not viewed as helpless? Or is it just too hard for people go break out of this indoctrination that females are vulnerable?

I guess for some they enjoy this because it can be quite romantic. Man as hero women as saved. However, I feel it's really dangerous and toxic because at the same time we view women as vulnerable we also view men as dangerous and potentially a predator. Do you think it's time for these notions to fade away?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's extremely odd to me that you're expressing views that are pretty old in a way like you think they're brand new and you've just thought of this stuff because of a film :/
Reply 2
Original post by AvaAdore
It's extremely odd to me that you're expressing views that are pretty old in a way like you think they're brand new and you've just thought of this stuff because of a film :/

Well to be honest these are not my views I don't view women like that, however, after a night out today were a female friend was Molly coddled and her expressions of responsibility and words ignored just because she was a bit tipsy it got me thinking. So for me I just came at it from the Mad Max point because I thought it would be a good way to approach the subject in terms of a solution to such thinking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3

Exactly what I thought. Surely, no one in this society sees women as a child that constantly needs saving?
Reply 4
There not helpless but at the end of the day men and physically superior and it's mainly men that defend people from the security services.

Women still do need protecting in general and men want to do that as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Another
Exactly what I thought. Surely, no one in this society sees women as a child that constantly needs saving?

Please see it in the context which I expressed to ava in my reply and take note on my mentioning of toxicity of this type of thinking in how it shapes the way we view the different sexes. Also yes people clearly do treat people like that because even my female friend was shocked at the over-protective way she was treated. Maybe I should not have put it in the film context seems people are missing the point.
Reply 6
Women being able to financially support themselves much more these days does not change that it's mainly men who physically defend nations internally and externally.
Reply 7
House stark is a house of traitors! Bend the knee to Stannis the Mannis or face destruction. **** the king in the North **** robb stark- STANNIS is the rightful king of the the seven kingdoms not heretical pretenders.
I certainly hope so, this image is bad for women and for men.
There are many men who are abused by women, but dont come forward as society says be a man
Original post by Another

Social experiments (Best show:What would you do)
-Man hits woman, get up and save
-woman hits man, laugh
-man steals a wallet, sound the alarm
-woman steals wallet- shhhh
ect.....
Never!
Reply 11
Original post by william walker
Never!

I will guess from your reply and being aware of your views you want it that way.
Original post by Mancini
I will guess from your reply and being aware of your views you want it that way.

Yes I am a sexist.
Reply 14

Luckily that case is in America but for me I'm not even talking about that level of incident. It's actually the fear that you may be accused of such a thing for helping someone out. I would tell guys only help out female friends you trust because a lot of people are really brainwashed.

Prsom :frown:
I was very impressed with both the maturity of the feminist message in Mad Max and the wide range of different types of women involved. However it's far more complicated than what you say. Furiosa drove to the end of the earth and there found her matriarchal clan who were surviving admirably while not sacrificing their dreams, but had been entirely unable to establish a civilisation, so they had to return to rule the Citadel instead. It was to me a message that found a third way between pie-in-the-sky social justice warrior Tumblr feminists and social Darwinist troglodytes such as appeared in the men's rights activist movement several years ago. The women are not portrayed as damsels, but neither are they portrayed as remotely capable of organising a successful non-hierarchical matriarchal society.
Alien did this 30 odd years ago...

Who cares. Whether it is feminism or not. It's cool.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by william walker
Yes I am a sexist.

Immature*
Original post by *Stefan*
Immature*

What do you mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending