The Student Room Group

SQA Results Service 2015 FAQ - 4th August 2015

4th August 2015 SQA Results: Results Service FAQ
With SQA Results Day just round the corner now, we hope that everyone gets the results that they're hoping for! This thread will aim to give information regarding results services, should anyone need to use any of these services.

If you want to have a general chat about results day, you can do so in the SQA Results Discussion thread. If you would like any other advice regarding your results, there is information on the Need advice about your SQA results? thread. You can also check out the SQA section of our results day hub for lots of useful information.

If you have a question regarding results services, please feel free to post it in this thread.

All the best with results! :biggrin:

What is the results service?

The results service is an SQA replacement of the previous appeals system as of 2014. Like the appeals system, it is an attempt by the SQA to make sure candidates receive the grades and qualifications that they really deserve, in spite of what could be considered underperforming in the main exam.

How does the results service work?

There are two types of results service that the SQA provide: exceptional circumstances consideration, and the post-results service.

What is the Exceptional Circumstances Consideration Service?

This service is open only prior to results day. If you believe your exam performance has been affected by exceptional circumstances (e.g. bereavement; illness ... ), then your school or centre can submit an "appeal" on your behalf for this to be taken into account. Along with this, alternative evidence of your past performance can be submitted - including things like prelims, other mock exams, or coursework. In this way, the exceptional circumstance consideration service is most like the previous appeals service.
In addition to this, the SQA will also take the results of other candidates from your school/centre into account when considering your exam performance.

The deadline for your school or centre to submit a request was 10 working days after the exam that the request was being made for.

What is the Post Results Service?

This service is available only after results day. Instead of submitting an appeal, the SQA provide you the opportunity to request a clerical check (checking that all of your exam has been marked, the marks added up correctly, and then your marks added correctly to the SQA's database) or marking review (effectively a remark. A clerical check is inclusive with a marking review. i.e. if you submit for a marking review, you get a clerical check, too).
The use of these services can lead to an increase or decrease of your grade if the SQA discover there has been an error with the paper. Meaning that if you get a B, your grade may be bumped up to an A (if they discover they've given you too few marks) or down to a C (if they discover you've been given marks you shouldn't have). This means that, unlike appeals, there's an inherent risk in submitting a clerical check or marking review.
Alternative evidence will not be considered in the post results service, and if this submission does not lead to a change in your grade, then your school/centre will be charged a fee for its submission.

If you would like to use the post results service, you will need to speak to your school/centre.

So what if my grade changes as a result of the post results service?

Then you will be issued with a new, updated Scottish Qualifications Certificate and the SQA will change your grade in their system.

Who can use the results service?

Everyone. Unlike the old appeals service where only a select few candidates who performed below their estimation were eligible for an appeal, all candidates who have completed their course are eligible to use the results service.

Should I try to submit a clerical check/marking review?

As this is still a fairly new system for 2015, the experience of TSR Group staff, volunteers and users with this system is limited! Thus, the advice we can give you about whether or not a check and/or review is "worth" it is also extremely limited. The best people to ask for advice are your counsellors and teachers at school!

What are the deadlines for using the post results service?

The closing date for priority marking review requests is 19 August 2015, with the outcome being received by 28 August 2015.

The closing date for non-priority clerical check or marking review requests is 26 August 2015. The outcome of a clerical check will be delivered to a centre within 10 working days of the receipt of a request; the outcome of a marking review will be delivered to centres from 30 September 2015.

For full information, including answers to more questions and key dates, you can check the full SQA results service page here.

Credit to @Hype en Ecosse for most of the information here.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CT_99
Hi there, I got my Higher results through which where BBBCC - would I still be able to gain entry to Glasgow or Strathclyde with these in 2016 for a course in general, I'm not sure what I want to do yet.
Likely business or engineering.

Also I had hoped for AABBC, if a clerical check or marking review was possible when is the dead line to apply for it. I'd like to find out my bands before hand to minimise the chance of downgrading.
Thanks, Conor.

I've copied your post across to this thread - information regarding clerical checks/marking reviews (including deadlines) are in the post above. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CT_99
Thanks a lot! What about my first question, any idea?

No worries. :smile: I'm afraid that I don't know much about those universities/courses that you're interested in so am not in the best place to advise. I'd suggest having a look at the websites of each university to get an idea of the entry requirements for their courses.
Reply 3
How can it be possible to submit a marking review before August 19th when my return date is August 19th?
Reply 4
Original post by KiwiYeah
How can it be possible to submit a marking review before August 19th when my return date is August 19th?

Is there any way to contact someone relevant at your school before then? :smile:
Reply 5
Some schools like ours are open today and tomorrow if we need to speak to someone about results. Try phoning your school to see if there's someone there to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you for your replies :smile: I will try to find someone relevant to speak to at my school about this. If no one relevant is there, what would you suggest I do?
Thanks again :smile:
Original post by KiwiYeah
Thank you for your replies :smile: I will try to find someone relevant to speak to at my school about this. If no one relevant is there, what would you suggest I do?
Thanks again :smile:

Unfortunately you are only able to submit a marking/clerical review through your school so your school would have to organise this. There should be someone available to do this.
Reply 8
U would probably have to wait till the teachers go back later on and act fast to speak to them if not in just now. If you phone sqa helpline they only tell u to go to the school to sort it out anyway....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi there!
I was slightly disappointed with my exam results this year. I got:
New H English- A
H Bio- A
H Chem- A
H French- B
H Maths- B

I was hoping to get straight As to be competitive to study medicine but after the maths exam I would have been happy with passing that exam (turns out I'm 7 marks under an A grade!!) and I was really gutted about french as I got an A in my prelim and also full marks in speaking! It turns out I am TWO MARKS under an A for that too so my school are sending it for a remark so I hopefully get an A. Should I send maths away for a remark too? Do you think its worth it for my french and even for maths? I know that my results are quite good but I'm still really gutted about it. If my results stay the same then I will only be able to apply to a few unis for medicine and it'll be harder for me to get in. Anyways please tell me what you think and if it is worth it! Thank you
Reply 10
Hi there!

New H English- A
H Bio- A
H Chem- A
H French- B
H Maths- B
I was hoping to get straight As to be competitive to study medicine but after the maths exam I would have been happy with passing that exam (turns out I'm 7 marks under an A grade!!) and I was really gutted about french as I got an A in my prelim and also full marks in speaking! It turns out I am TWO MARKS under an A for that too so my school are sending it for a remark so I hopefully get an A. Should I send maths away for a remark too? Do you think its worth it for my french and even for maths? I know that my results are quite good but I'm still really gutted about it. If my results stay the same then I will only be able to apply to a few unis for medicine and it'll be harder for mw to get in. Anyways please tell me what you think and if it is worth it! Thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Dionnem
Hi there!

New H English- A
H Bio- A
H Chem- A
H French- B
H Maths- B
I was hoping to get straight As to be competitive to study medicine but after the maths exam I would have been happy with passing that exam (turns out I'm 7 marks under an A grade!!) and I was really gutted about french as I got an A in my prelim and also full marks in speaking! It turns out I am TWO MARKS under an A for that too so my school are sending it for a remark so I hopefully get an A. Should I send maths away for a remark too? Do you think its worth it for my french and even for maths? I know that my results are quite good but I'm still really gutted about it. If my results stay the same then I will only be able to apply to a few unis for medicine and it'll be harder for mw to get in. Anyways please tell me what you think and if it is worth it! Thank you :smile:

How did you find out your marks?
Reply 12
Original post by Jeff548
How did you find out your marks?

I phoned my school because I wanted to know why I got a B in french
Reply 13
Original post by Dionnem
Hi there!
New H English- A
H Bio- A
H Chem- A
H French- B
H Maths- B

I was hoping to get straight As to be competitive to study medicine but after the maths exam I would have been happy with passing that exam (turns out I'm 7 marks under an A grade!!) and I was really gutted about french as I got an A in my prelim and also full marks in speaking! It turns out I am TWO MARKS under an A for that too so my school are sending it for a remark so I hopefully get an A. Should I send maths away for a remark too? Do you think its worth it for my french and even for maths? I know that my results are quite good but I'm still really gutted about it. If my results stay the same then I will only be able to apply to a few unis for medicine and it'll be harder for me to get in. Anyways please tell me what you think and if it is worth it! Thank you

Hey,

Sorry to hear that you're disappointed. I'm not 100% clued up on the Scottish requirements for Medicine but have a look at the Medicine wiki for the Scottish requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine (they may be a bit out of date so it'd be best to check the websites for each Medical School). Looking at that, it seems like you still do have a shot at some Medical Schools. :smile:

In terms of a marking review for Maths, it is up to you. For A-Levels, we generally tend to advise that it's unlikely (but not impossible) for marks to change in Maths subjects as there's a strict markscheme (as opposed to essay subjects) so I'd imagine it to be the same for SQA. Have you spoken to your school/teachers about it? They'll be able to advise you and send Maths off for a marking review too. In terms of French, you're not far off the next boundary so I shall keep my fingers crossed for you that it goes up. :crossedf:
Reply 14
Original post by Dionnem
I phoned my school because I wanted to know why I got a B in french

Oh. So if i phoned and asked for percentages would they tell me?
Reply 15
Original post by Jeff548
Oh. So if i phoned and asked for percentages would they tell me?

Yeah they probably would! Just ask your schools careers advisor as they probably will have all of the results :smile:
I got AABBD and I'm so so disappointed, I wanted to study geography in uni but I don't think I will get in, I've looked at a lot of uni's in Scotland, maybe I will have to study something else. My two As were Geography and Product Design
Original post by rhiannonm25
I got AABBD and I'm so so disappointed, I wanted to study geography in uni but I don't think I will get in, I've looked at a lot of uni's in Scotland, maybe I will have to study something else. My two As were Geography and Product Design

First of all, well done on your great results! :biggrin:

AABB is definitely enough to get an offer for geography at a good Scottish uni. I'm not sure why you think it's not?

Edinburgh's minimum entry requirements for geography are ABBB, so you've surpassed that. As the typical offer is AAAA, they may make a conditional offer for another A at higher or something. Glasgow uni has also said that if you achieve a minimum of ABBB, you may be made a conditional offer based on your S6 results. St Andrews has a requirement of AAAB at first sitting for geography, but they still might offer you a conditional based on subjects you take in S6. Now these are the top, most competitve unis in Scotland - so many other great unis like Stirling have entrance requirements that are even lower, like BBBB or ABBB.

Don't worry about it! You'll definitely be able to get in, as long as your personal statement is up to scratch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chopinfan
First of all, well done on your great results! :biggrin:

AABB is definitely enough to get an offer for geography at a good Scottish uni. I'm not sure why you think it's not?

Edinburgh's minimum entry requirements for geography are ABBB, so you've surpassed that. As the typical offer is AAAA, they may make a conditional offer for another A at higher or something. Glasgow uni has also said that if you achieve a minimum of ABBB, you may be made a conditional offer based on your S6 results. St Andrews has a requirement of AAAB at first sitting for geography, but they still might offer you a conditional based on subjects you take in S6. Now these are the top, most competitve unis in Scotland - so many other great unis like Stirling have entrance requirements that are even lower, like BBBB or ABBB.

Don't worry about it! You'll definitely be able to get in, as long as your personal statement is up to scratch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought that my D would bring me down a little, I am sure somebody told me that uni's take in to consideration your lowest marks first which would include my D and Bs, thank you so much for your help I will be looking further into the university's you've stated! Thank you thank You!
Reply 19
Original post by Dionnem
Yeah they probably would! Just ask your schools careers advisor as they probably will have all of the results :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest