The Student Room Group

Upcoming Sixth Former [looking for help]

Hi, i'm an upcoming sixth former and i'd like some advice on certain things such as the structure of the subject, the coursework requirements and any revision guides that are good as I will be looking to revise early on (I found books such as CGP really helpful for science).

Subjects i'm taking:
Physics (AQA)

Maths Statistics (Edexcel) - Could someone explain the format of this? Do I have to do c1,c2,c3,c4 and s1 , s2

Computer Science (OCR) - tips on this subject? havnt found any revision guides for this either.

Photography

______

This may sound stupid but I also want to know the structure for A levels (as in what AS and A2 is and what would I be doing)
Reply 1
Original post by blankboi
Hi, i'm an upcoming sixth former and i'd like some advice on certain things such as the structure of the subject, the coursework requirements and any revision guides that are good as I will be looking to revise early on (I found books such as CGP really helpful for science).

Subjects i'm taking:
Physics (AQA)
Maths Statistics (Edexcel) - Could someone explain the format of this? Do I have to do c1,c2,c3,c4 and s1 , s2
Computer Science (OCR) - tips on this subject? havnt found any revision guides for this either.
Photography
_____
This may sound stupid but I also want to know the structure for A levels (as in what AS and A2 is and what would I be doing)

Physics, Computer Science (and I think Photography) are all new specifications where you will be th first year to study them so I'd wait and ask your teachers what they recommend as advice here may be out of date. Maths Hasn't changed and I think your assumption of the units you will study is correct. You are likely to study C1, C2 and S1 in Year 12 and the other 3 in Year 13.

p.s. In the new Physics spec you have to complete 12 specified practicals which are pass/fail but do not contribute to the final grade.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by blankboi

Subjects i'm taking:
Physics (AQA)

Photography

______

Even tho physics has become linear the topics are pretty much the same. 1st year you do mechanics, optics, waves, electricity, quantum and particle physics. 2nd year it's things like circular motion, further mechanics, more electricity, fields and nuclear physics and you should be able to pick a module out of eg medical physics, astrophysics, electronics and etc. There is no coursework still I believe you do an exam on practical skills but it's not specified if you do the practical. I'm guessing you must do because it would be idiotic not to do practicals in science?
As for maths you do C1 and C2 in year 12 and C3 and C4 in year 13 plus one applied option for each year. If you decide to do S1 in first year you can switch to D1 in second which is decision maths and might help you in computer science I guess. D1 is also much easier than S1 let alone S2 so if you can avoid any "2" modules like S2, M2 and etc it would be the easiest to get the most marks and aim for top grades.

Quick Reply

Latest