The Student Room Group

Choosing college

So I'm about to start year 11, and I've got to make the decision about where to go for 6th form pretty soon, by the end of the autumn term, really.
In my area there are two great 6th forms, one at my high school, the other one is on the other side of town. I love my school, and as it's a private school, money could be an issue. My parents have said that I can go if I want, but it would be easier for them, especially as I want to go to university in London, if I went to a different 6th form. I do feel though like they push me a bit to leave my school, but it's them that are paying for it, so it's kind of up to them.
Both colleges offer the subjects I want to do but the one that's not my school has a wider range of subjects and some that my school does not do that I might want to take.
The majority of my friends are staying at our school, but some are probably going to the other one.
At my current school, most of my extra-curricular activities are there, but most (not all) are available outside of school.
Our school is quite ceremonial with end of term services and that, and it has things like monitors and roles of responsibility n 6th form, which I like, but the other sixth form I think has more freedom and individuality (as we have to wear a uniform of sorts, but the other doesn't)

I think I will probably go to the other 6th form, but this decision is giving me a lot of stress. I'd love some advice please?
The most important thing you can do is go to open days and evenings. You probably won't have to go to one at your current school, but maybe just ask the teachers what your course will look at, because it's different at every college. Ask the same at the other college too. This can really effect how much you enjoy your subject and how well you learn it, so it's really important to take into account. If they have website, prospectus', whatever, read up on the courses, as well as what the colleges are like. If you have friends in higher years at either college, ask them.

Don't take money problems into account unless your parents specifically tell you they can't afford to send you to your schools 6th form. That shouldn't be something you should be worrying about- let them handle it. I also wouldn't worry a huge amount about how many of your friends will be going to the same college as you- if you want to hang onto those friends, at college you get to the age where it becomes a lot easier to see them outside of school, because everyone starts driving and parents usually start trusting you more. If you go to the other college, there will be a lot of people in the same boat as you, so it'd be easier than you think to make new friends.

Quick Reply

Latest