The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are these subjects for A-level or at degree level?

For A-level, I'd recommend Maths, Economics and Biology. Yes, I'm biased, I do 2 of them :p:
Reply 2
Maths, Economics, Biology and whatever, they would keep your options open to social sciences, economics, maths, law, business, accounting, etc. You may need Chemistry to do a biology degree.
maths + bio + media studies + IT

It could increase variety there - i didnt choose economix/accountancy or even law for you as they are too specific and would be a waste of time if you didn't pursue them further -- although you could ask some people from the uni discussion forum and ask them whether if you wanted to do law you need the law A level, or accountancy economix etc
Reply 4
kirstinx
Maths, Economics, Biology and whatever, they would keep your options open to social sciences, economics, maths, law, business, accounting, etc. You may need Chemistry to do a biology degree.

hummm i would really like to include Media Studies
so i shouldnt include Biology then if i need Chemistry

As i do need to drop one subject after AS
However i do know this: if you wanna do medicine you would indefinately need to do chemistry
Reply 6
wackysparkle
However i do know this: if you wanna do medicine you would indefinately need to do chemistry

lol yeah i know *my parents are Nigerian :rolleyes: *
They wanted me to be a doctor lol
Reply 7
Venom123
hummm i would really like to include Media Studies
so i shouldnt include Biology then if i need Chemistry

As i do need to drop one subject after AS

Well Media could be your fourth? You could still take Biology its a respected subject and taking it wont close off any options.
Reply 8
kirstinx
Well Media could be your fourth? You could still take Biology its a respected subject and taking it wont close off any options.

But then i will be in the awkward position of dropping a subject of course the obvious thing would be to drop the one im not doing well in.

However looking into the future if i was to drop a subject out of
Maths
Media
Economics
Biology what would it be - if i was doing exceptional in all lol
Reply 9
well from the 4 you are considering I would do maths economics and biology and I would consider you doing chemistry, due to the fact, although biology is respected, if you would like to keep your options open, you should do chemistry, as if you would like to do medicine then unis will prefer you to have chemistry rather than biology. If you definitely want to do media studies then do chemistry rather than biology, if not then do biology and chemistry, media studies isn't that respected by unis compared to biology & chemistry and will close off your options.

However if you enjoy it definitely do it as enjoyment is the key factor after all.
Reply 10
so Maths and Economics - are the two i should go for

However still juggling with:
Media Studies
Biology
Chemistry

My ambition was to run my own business *god knows doing what*
but my dad recommended that i went into pharmacy and start the business off there but i have never really enjoyed Science that much maybe because of the people im with in School...
well if you have no intention of doing medicine do not take chemistry! its not worth the hassle!
bio would be okay as an AS - to add variety i guess
i already said media studies before -- depends how many a levels you are plannin to come out with
Don't let your parents pressure you into taking sciences if you're not interested in them. You're the one who's going to have to go to all the lessons, do all the work, sit all the exams etc and you really need to enjoy your subjects at A-level to do well. I'd do maths, economics, media studies and ICT. As wackysparkle said, law and accounting are too specific if you don't know what you want to do and you don't need the A-levels to do the degree anwyay. You don't have to drop a subject after AS (unless that's your school policy) but you only need 3 A-levels and 1 AS to get into uni, so most people drop one.
Reply 13
What about Physics? :biggrin: it goes well with your other subjects (Economics and Maths)
Media Studies and ICT (and possibly accounting?) are considered 'soft' subjects by many universities (especially if you're considering the top unis), so take that into consideration if you're aiming towards that, doing one is fine but continuing two to A2 level could disadvantage you. Maths, sciences, and traditional arts subjects tend to be more favoured, generally..
Maths, Law, Accountancy and Economics would make a good combination, in my view.

I'd advise you to do whatever you think you will enjoy most. I didn't have a career plan when doing my A-Levels and I still don't at uni. Fortunately I am doing a degree that could lead to many different things. Don't make any rash decisions based on what your friends are doing though, that's a big no-no.

If you want to do medicine, then I'd say Chemistry, Biology and Maths are three you should definitely do.
Maths Econs Biology and 1 more.... maybe law... why dont you do computing instead of ICT?

do not do accounting because it has very narrow options. put it this way, accounting and business studies are sub-sets of econs... so there isnt really much point in taking both econs and accounting,
Id choose Maths, Biology and Law

Also, I heard Physics is a lot like Maths, but I didnt pick it.
Reply 18
arsenalfan.
do not do accounting because it has very narrow options. put it this way, accounting and business studies are sub-sets of econs... so there isnt really much point in taking both econs and accounting,

This is just wrong.

I do Accounts and economics, and did Business studies at GCSE.

Accounts is not a 'sub set' of economics. Some parts of accounts have similar knowledge to Business studies, and some parts of economics have similar parts to economics, but they are not the same, or a representation of one in more or less detail.

My point, however, is only do Accounts if you specifically think it will be beneficial to learn how to produce financial statements for different types of company/organisation, apply different methods of costing, and understand the double entry system.

If you want to learn how the national and international economies work, do economics. It is alot of theory, but you'll find that it is highly interesting because it explains how the financial world goes round.
Maths, Economics, Biology and Computing/ICT. That should get you into all of your courses, assuming you get the right grades :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending